Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-22-2016, 11:20 AM

Default Flyline reviews

I've used a bunch of fly lines in my day, this is what I think of them. Post your experience here too

Rio windcutter: really good line! Got it on sale at TFH, I have it on my 3wt and used it this weekend. It casts everything really well. 8/10

Rio Perception: Not a good line, doesn't cast very far or very tight. The loops seem to stay open, and it's more of a dry fly line. Streamers and indi rigs have no place on this line. 2/10

Rio S7: I have it in a 5wt but I love underlining it on my 6wt. It's great! 7/10

Rio gold: it gets the job done. 6/10

Rio Aqualux: it's a good line, and casts super well on my slower action 5wt. I don't have many applications for it however. 6.5/10

Rio Powerfly: the running line is way too thick. Not a fan for my style. It's not great for much, just another failed experiment in my books. 4/10

Rio Indicator II: works for everything heavy, and roll casts very well. Back taper rocks! 10/10

Rio outbound short: for big heavy flies, nothing really works better. 9/10

Rio outbound long: not as powerful as the short, but fires super far on a fast rod. Great distance line 8.5/10

Sage Bass: I love it, just as powerful as the outbound short. 9/10

Rio Streamer Tip: it casts really far and with streamer rigs, no complaints. 8/10

Have a good one guys
Old 08-22-2016, 11:38 AM

Only line I had, that I thoroughly disliked, was a Cortland 555 clear intermediate sinker, could not get the coils out of it. Took it back to Russel's.
I can't really give a "rating" of one against the other, as to what I have used over the years, except to say that the newer lines have generally been an improvement over what I had before.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
I've used a bunch of fly lines in my day, this is what I think of them. Post your experience here too

Rio windcutter: really good line! Got it on sale at TFH, I have it on my 3wt and used it this weekend. It casts everything really well. 8/10

Rio Perception: Not a good line, doesn't cast very far or very tight. The loops seem to stay open, and it's more of a dry fly line. Streamers and indi rigs have no place on this line. 2/10

Rio S7: I have it in a 5wt but I love underlining it on my 6wt. It's great! 7/10

Rio Aqualux: it's a good line, and casts super well on my slower action 5wt. I don't have many applications for it however. 6.5/10

Rio Powerfly: the running line is way too thick. Not a fan for my style. It's not great for much, just another failed experiment in my books. 4/10

Rio Indicator II: works for everything heavy, and roll casts very well. Back taper rocks! 10/10

Rio outbound long: not as powerful as the short, but fires super far on a fast rod. Great distance line 8.5/10

Rio Streamer Tip: it casts really far and with streamer rigs, no complaints. 8/10

Have a good one guys
If you are going to give a line review, you may also consider sharing the information about the rod on which you were using it.

For example, the

Rio Aqualux is an intermediate line. It is my go-to pike line. I use it on my fast-action Sage Motive 8wt. The line is nice and slick, and does not tangle easily. It handles many different temperature variations with easy (good for warm lakes out east and colder northern saskatchewan lakes). For this application.
Casting: 9/10
Flexibility: 7/10 (it does lakes and handles temperature variation well but is not as useful out of still water)

Rio Perception: I used it on both my 6wt (Medium fast Sage VXP) and 8wt (Sage Motive fast action). In cold water situations, like your average trout stream, with the non-stretch core, this is an excellent line. the line has different colour gradients to indicate how much line you have out, which is nice for streamers and rough currents. This line however, becomes completely useless in hot weather (25C and higher) and/or with water temperatures exceeding 18C
Casting: 6/10 (amazing in cold trout water but almost useless outside this situation)
Flexibility: 5/10 It is no good for warm water, but it did work really well with Rio versatip system.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
Only line I had, that I thoroughly disliked, was a Cortland 555 clear intermediate sinker, could not get the coils out of it. Took it back to Russel's.
So this review is a little dated... LOL
Just kidding with you.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
If you are going to give a line review, you may also consider sharing the information about the rod on which you were using it.

For example, the

Rio Aqualux is an intermediate line. It is my go-to pike line. I use it on my fast-action Sage Motive 8wt. The line is nice and slick, and does not tangle easily. It handles many different temperature variations with easy (good for warm lakes out east and colder northern saskatchewan lakes). For this application.
Casting: 9/10
Flexibility: 7/10 (it does lakes and handles temperature variation well but is not as useful out of still water)

Rio Perception: I used it on both my 6wt (Medium fast Sage VXP) and 8wt (Sage Motive fast action). In cold water situations, like your average trout stream, with the non-stretch core, this is an excellent line. the line has different colour gradients to indicate how much line you have out, which is nice for streamers and rough currents. This line however, becomes completely useless in hot weather (25C and higher) and/or with water temperatures exceeding 18C
Casting: 6/10 (amazing in cold trout water but almost useless outside this situation)
Flexibility: 5/10 It is no good for warm water, but it did work really well with Rio versatip system.
Great point, I'll rewrite it later
Old 08-22-2016, 03:35 PM

I have only been fly fishing for a very short time and I have only used one line. It was recommended as an "all in one" line but I am not sure how I feel about in my limited experience.

I am using the "rio versitip" but since I have never caught a fish on anything but the floating tip I feel like I should simply switch to a good quality floating line and keep this line on a spare spool for the rare instance I am fishing a deeper stretches of water. SO any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I am using a TFO Lefty Kreh TiCr 6wt rod.

As for the review.

I love the "idea" of the versitip and perhaps someone with more experience could utilized it to its full extent.

As a new user I find it hard to consistently have the line turn over (maybe cause I suck at fly fishing) maybe because of the extra connections.

I am not the best to give it a rating but I would say that it would be best utilized by someone of intermediate skill level. Beginners should probably stick with one line, and "pros" would have a set up for each specific situation so would not need a interchangeable tip.

Just my 2¢
Old 08-22-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:

Have a good one guys
I was sold some RIO Perception at the start of the year...and either I don't have a clue what I am doing or you are being pretty hard on this line. I was out on the weekend and I was chucking flies deep and accurate. Granted it doesn't sound like I have near the experience you do, but I don't find this line difficult to cast at all.

My question is what is the best way to try these lines? Seems like it would be very expensive dishing out $80-$100 each time, but your negative review of the Perception has me really wanting to try something different. It would just be a shame that's all
Old 08-22-2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shortington View Post
I was sold some RIO Perception at the start of the year...and either I don't have a clue what I am doing or you are being pretty hard on this line. I was out on the weekend and I was chucking flies deep and accurate. Granted it doesn't sound like I have near the experience you do, but I don't find this line difficult to cast at all.

My question is what is the best way to try these lines? Seems like it would be very expensive dishing out $80-$100 each time, but your negative review of the Perception has me really wanting to try something different. It would just be a shame that's all
I think there are 3 main variables that affect how a line works
1. The rod. Aggressive tapers are made for faster action rods.
2. The temperature. Some lines work better in different temperatures.
3. The application. People will not usually use aggressive tapers for presenting delicate dry flies.

The Perception is an excellent line in the scope of its applications. If you read the reviews, you will notice that most people agree this is a great line. The line has little stretch, so it is a bit more technical to get used to. I used mine for years without reservation until this summer. Once I started fishing warm waters the line became super sloppy and tacky. If you are fishing for trout, and you have good casting form, Perception will serve you well. If you are going to head to warmer waters or warmer weather locale, I would maybe think about changing it. I really miss the colour gradation on the Perception.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
I think there are 3 main variables that affect how a line works
1. The rod. Aggressive tapers are made for faster action rods.
2. The temperature. Some lines work better in different temperatures.
3. The application. People will not usually use aggressive tapers for presenting delicate dry flies.

The Perception is an excellent line in the scope of its applications. If you read the reviews, you will notice that most people agree this is a great line. The line has little stretch, so it is a bit more technical to get used to. I used mine for years without reservation until this summer. Once I started fishing warm waters the line became super sloppy and tacky. If you are fishing for trout, and you have good casting form, Perception will serve you well. If you are going to head to warmer waters or warmer weather locale, I would maybe think about changing it. I really miss the colour gradation on the Perception.
Ok....very interesting.

I have been fly-fishing for about 15 years now, but I will admit, my technical knowledge of the gear is lacking. I'll be quite honest with you I couldn't even tell you if my rod has an aggressive taper or if it is fast or slow action. I think I need to do some serious research!
Old 08-22-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Ok....very interesting.

I have been fly-fishing for about 15 years now, but I will admit, my technical knowledge of the gear is lacking. I'll be quite honest with you I couldn't even tell you if my rod has an aggressive taper or if it is fast or slow action. I think I need to do some serious research!
The taper refers to the fly line. Trout tapers trends to to be long. Bass and pike have shorter but heavier for loading the rod and punching big flies.

What rod do you typically use?
Old 08-22-2016, 08:34 PM

Rod: Loop Opti Creek 3wt

Rio Perception: Not a good line, doesn't cast very far or very tight. The loops seem to stay open, and it's more of a dry fly line. Streamers and indi rigs have no place on this line. 2/10 in response to the confusion, I just don't like the taper. Yes it has its place, and for casting small dry flies, but overall I don't enjoy it. I've used it on 3,5 and 6wts and not my cup of tea. I much prefer the windcutter.

Rods: Loop Xact 5wt and Loop Opti Coast 6wt

Rod: Loop Xact 5wt

Rod: Loop Opti Coast 6wt

Rod: Opti coast 6wt

Rod: Sage Bass 2

Rods: Sage bass 2, Loop Greenline 7wt and Loop Evotec 8wt

Rod: guess

Rod: Loop Greenline 7wt
Old 08-22-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't place it all on experience. I'd just say it's preference and casting style and how it matches with the rod. I'm not all knowing by any means, but I have tried a bunch of lines.

I was fortunate to work in the right place where I had discounts and received free lines. It's trial and error, and learning to work with the line.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:01 PM

Scientific Angler Wet tip WF-7-F/S , 12ft sink tip, Type V on a Greys XF2 saltwater stiff/fast rod
Line worked fine for hucking big streamers....but not impressed with the durability. Line is covered with cracks after one year.

Rio streamer tip will be the next choice
Old 08-22-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:

Rio Perception: Not a good line, doesn't cast very far or very tight. The loops seem to stay open, and it's more of a dry fly line. Streamers and indi rigs have no place on this line. 2/10 in response to the confusion, I just don't like the taper. Yes it has its place, and for casting small dry flies, but overall I don't enjoy it. I've used it on 3,5 and 6wts and not my cup of tea. I much prefer the windcutter.

Rods: Loop Xact 5wt and Loop Opti Coast 6wt

Rod: Loop Opti Coast 6wt

Rod: Opti coast 6wt

Rod: Sage Bass 2

Rods: Sage bass 2, Loop Greenline 7wt and Loop Evotec 8wt

Rod: guess

Rod: Loop Greenline 7wt
If you dont want the powerfly, i'll buy it from you, same with the aqualux.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:29 PM
Banned

6/10 for the Rio gold, aw come on man, got that on five reels, mind you I never tried any of the other stuff you mentioned haha!
Old 08-23-2016, 06:30 PM
Banned

What do you use for pike?
Old 08-23-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
My primary line for pike is Rio Aqualux. It is an intermediate line. Pike flies are big, but not usually that heavy, so I find a little extra sink is helpful.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Hey I got no problem with the gold, I just found other stuff that I like better! I use an rio outbound short intermediate, it has very thing running line, so it helps throw stuff farther. I'm sure Aqualux does the same. I also use the Sage bass line for floating stuff. I've also tried the airflo bass line and it was good as well.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:05 PM

I have only tried 2 name brand lines and both have been on my 6wt 9.5 ft TFO BVK.

Rio Preception and AirFlo super-dri exceed.
Of the 2 lines i prefer the airflo line. The AirFlo line seems to work for all my needs. It mends really well.