Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-22-2016, 09:07 PM

Default Quick question about Cataract Creek

Hi all:

Just looking for a bit of advice. I have experience fly fishing but have not done a lot in the ES1 area. I am taking my cousin who is new to fly fishing out this week to Cataract creek, I have not ever fished it before. Is there enough room to cast for a person just starting out? He wants to start out on some moving water, on smaller streams.

Or is there another location on moving water that might be more suitable? Not looking for specific spots or honey holes. We are happy to walk and explore, heck isn't that part of the addiction?

Many Thanks
Old 08-22-2016, 09:39 PM

ive only fished it once last year and there was a lot of room for backcasting, the flood really opened up some areas from what ive heard. gl
Old 08-23-2016, 11:14 AM

I went to Cataract back in June and had a tough time. We went upstream of the campground, so you might be better off trying downstream. Never made our way down there but my advice is do not go up lol.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:34 PM

Went downstream in July, nice little River. Tiny little brookies under the falls. Right by the campground has loads of room for back casting. Was busy when I was there so we walked right past it.