Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-23-2016, 09:27 AM

Default Bow River - Hoppers and Dries

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone has any ideas on how this summers weather will impact dry fly fishing. I've had some success on dry flies so far, but am anxiously waiting the Sept/Oct hopper action!

Haven't seen many grasshoppers around this year (likely because of all the rain), however I was hoping the larger 'hopper pattern fishing' would pick up when the water cools a bit. Now with this cold spell, and near freezing temps at night, not sure how this will impact the hatch/bugs for bigger dries....

Thoughts?
Old 08-23-2016, 09:35 AM

I have seen lots of hoppers on the prairie...just not down by the river's edge. Fishing under the water has been more productive thus far
Old 08-23-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
I have seen lots of hoppers on the prairie...just not down by the river's edge. Fishing under the water has been more productive thus far
Same here. It was looking good until getting close to the river so went back to nymphing. Hoping for nice warm and dry weather for September and clouds of hoppers ...but only in the river
Old 08-23-2016, 11:08 AM

Dry fly action has almost been non-existent for the past 2 months....I managed to have one good night on a hopper in early July, and some decent nights previous on caddis, but since then it's been ultra slow! Been sticking to streamers and nymph rigs. This weather is sure putting a damper on the dry fly action which is a shame!
Old 08-23-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutTracker View Post
Hi All,

Wondering if anyone has any ideas on how this summers weather will impact dry fly fishing. I've had some success on dry flies so far, but am anxiously waiting the Sept/Oct hopper action!

Haven't seen many grasshoppers around this year (likely because of all the rain), however I was hoping the larger 'hopper pattern fishing' would pick up when the water cools a bit. Now with this cold spell, and near freezing temps at night, not sure how this will impact the hatch/bugs for bigger dries....

Thoughts?
Hoppers are very weather dependent. To grow and breed, grasshoppers need warm and dry weather through much of June and July. July did not have these conditions. Since the flood, there are much less spaces where the grass comes up to the riverbank. Warm weather is needed to make the hoppers active. It needs to be windy (not usually a problem for Calgary region) to blow the hoppers into the water.

It is my feeling there will not be a hopper season on the Bow this year. Other rivers, like the Crowsnest and Oldman might see some hopper action.

On the Bow, I think our last best hope for dry fly action is a good blue wing olive hatch. The BWO was awesome at the beginning of May, but it is a very technical hatch to fish, but at least wet, cool, drab weather could mean awesome fishing.