Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-18-2016, 05:10 PM

Default Grandson wants to try Flyfishing.

So as title says the boy wants to try his hand at flyfishing. He's a average size 10 year old. I dont want to spend much and find out he still prefers spin fishing.

I see at Can Tire they have a combo made by Total Tackle. Its a 5/6 wt, 9 footer. Seems fairly slow and the finish is alright. I have a different reel he can use as the combo reel is rough.

Question, anyone any experience with this rod? I figure for $60 id give it a try. Got any others in that range or so worth looking at?
Old 08-18-2016, 05:30 PM

Depending where you're from you can check out army navy ... or even Walmart for a first rod.

Also saw in the cabelas flyer thar their in house brands are on sale starting at 50.00 could be worth a look.

And the fishing hole sale is supposed to be next weekend.

Would think between the bunch you should be able to find something.

Best of luck
Old 08-18-2016, 05:30 PM

Honestly in a city the size of Edmonton I would put and add in kijiji looking for a free one before I bought a 60 dollar special. Just tell your story, and hopefully some seasoned old-timer sees it and will give his cast off to the young fellow.

Wants to try it, is a little vague. When I was a young lad I seriously wanted to fly fish. We never had much for money, so I bought myself a cotton trot line and coated it in wax. I used my 7 ft spinning rod to cast this mess. I had seen white fish picking off caddis at Lake Newell and this whet my appetite. I caught a white fish using this monstrosity and was hooked, although it was many years until I could afford even a cheap outfit.

I guess what I'm getting at is that if he's not that keen he might be put off by a cheap hard to cast rod. On the other hand if he's the type of kid that will be able to put up with the frustration of a cheap outfit just to be fishing, go for it. A 60 dollar outfit will be frustrating to learn on. A boat on a trout pond will go a long ways in getting him into fish without having to be able to cast a good distance.

Good luck!! and good on you for taking your grandson under wing.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-18-2016, 08:05 PM

I've got a 2 piece St. Croix 6 wt if your interested. Nothing fancy, but still in decent condition and has a slow action. For a kid that wants to learn, I'd be willing to let it go for nothing...maybe a coffee if you were feeling generous. It's been sitting in my garage for years as I use other rods instead. One of these days I'm going to break it by accident. I'm in the Edmonton area, let me know.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry.S View Post
I've got a 2 piece St. Croix 6 wt if your interested. Nothing fancy, but still in decent condition and has a slow action. For a kid that wants to learn, I'd be willing to let it go for nothing...maybe a coffee if you were feeling generous. It's been sitting in my garage for years as I use other rods instead. One of these days I'm going to break it by accident. I'm in the Edmonton area, let me know.

PM sent.
Wasnt looking for anything free but thats very kind. Maybe we can make some kinda deal.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:51 AM

Smile

Quote:
Very nice gesture..Good man !
Old 08-19-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:

This is awesome! Great to see this generosity. To the Op if you inbox me I would love to send you a dozen flies for your grandson. Ive been doing a lot of tying lately and have a few I can spare. Love hearing stories involving kids being introduced to the sport!
Old 08-19-2016, 08:24 AM

Im amazed at the kindness shown here. But i think i need to clarify here. I wasnt looking for anyone to give to the cause. I would feel guilty taking anyone up on there offers as we are not hurting by any means. It would be better offered to some youngster and family who have no finances to get a kid fishing. Im by no means in that boat even though im retired.

I was only asking what would be a good cheap setup or did anyone have any experience with a cheap rod that one could buy to teach him with. He already fishes with a spin rod.

I fly fished myself for a time till my shoulder gave out so i had sold my rod and reel and picked up a ultralite spin rod setup instead. I could have given my fly stuff to him but at the time he didnt express a interest in fly fishing and selling it offset the cost of the ultralite for me. Im known as a frugal guy.

Anyway all that being said last night after my last post inquiring into cheap rods i found out from the daughter that the other grandparents had bought him a setup a couple of days ago.

So huge thanks to all and your big hearts. But alls good and i can now go about teaching the boy.

The generosity on this forum is amazing.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
Im amazed at the kindness shown here. But i think i need to clarify here. I wasnt looking for anyone to give to the cause. I would feel guilty taking anyone up on there offers as we are not hurting by any means. It would be better offered to some youngster and family who have no finances to get a kid fishing. Im by no means in that boat even though im retired.

I was only asking what would be a good cheap setup or did anyone have any experience with a cheap rod that one could buy to teach him with. He already fishes with a spin rod.

I fly fished myself for a time till my shoulder gave out so i had sold my rod and reel and picked up a ultralite spin rod setup instead. I could have given my fly stuff to him but at the time he didnt express a interest in fly fishing and selling it offset the cost of the ultralite for me. Im known as a frugal guy.

Anyway all that being said last night after my last post inquiring into cheap rods i found out from the daughter that the other grandparents had bought him a setup a couple of days ago.

So huge thanks to all and your big hearts. But alls good and i can now go about teaching the boy.

The generosity on this forum is amazing.
I'm beginning to wonder why they call you cranky......

Have fun!
Old 08-19-2016, 08:53 AM

Smile I think I have

At about the same age too. It cost $10.00 then, was made of glass, had a slow action.

Here is my advice, you need a good line, the modern ones are great, I had a silk DT line that I had to clean and "grease" during the middle of the fishing trip. A longer stiffer rod would be great too so he can pick the line up off of the water. The reel doesn't matter.

This next point is, I think the most important, a place to fish where he is not climbing trees (Alders in my case) to get his fly and leader back. So some place where it is safe to wade out a bit so he can cast without problems.

Start with dry flies like a hopper, easier to pick up.

My grandfather said (Born in 1878) it is not how far you can cast it is presentation, so careful wading and short casts.

Oh when he gets proficient, teach him how to fish nymphs, if I knew how I'd tell you, but those that know are the ones who catch the most fish.

Good for you, my grandfather had a bamboo Hardy and fished the Miramichi.
Old 08-20-2016, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shortington View Post
I'm beginning to wonder why they call you cranky......

Have fun!
Back in the day i didnt play well with others lets say. Guess the moniker stuck with me even after i got my act together when i became a Christian believer.

Old age can sometimes mellow a guy out too. After all at 70 i doubt i could fight my way out of a wet paper bag anymore.

Last edited by cranky; 08-20-2016 at 12:14 AM.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:41 PM

Get him a rod and let him fly...

Buying a flyrod is kind of like buying a guitar. Sure you can get a $100 guitar and if you don't like it, it's only a $100.

If you're a fly fisherman yourself, buy yourself a rod and let him use it. It'll be easier to learn on a a rod that cast half decent than trying to lay out a caddis fly with a 2x4, making it a much more enjoyable experience.

Then at the end of the day, you have some resale value, or at the very least... another fly rod
Old 08-21-2016, 05:21 PM

Default A good sale on right now...