Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-31-2016, 10:53 PM

Default Sending 4570 back to Marlin

Anyone here ever sent a gun back to Marlin? Wait time/overall experience? Just bought a brand new one that stuck when loading a shell into the chamber from mag. Pulled out she'll.Shot 11 various shells through it then same issue. Also found the barrel has some deep scratches on outside of the barrel.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:41 AM

Gravel Agencies was easy to deal with, I had a Marlin 25M that had problems right out of the box. Phoned them, got a reference number and shipped it to them. They repaired the rifle and also sent a cheque for my shipping cost. Iirc 3 week turnaround

Last edited by pyk; 02-01-2016 at 08:43 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 02-04-2016, 10:31 AM

Default QC horrible

Remlin should just quit making guns until they get their ***** together.They should be ashamed of selling junk............Harold
Old 02-04-2016, 01:30 PM
Banned

You didn't go into great detail on the issue you are having but depending on how you hold the rifle there is a sweet spot that does lock your action briefly and you would almost have to be holding the rifle up side down to duplicate and this is due to the lever design.

The only other thing I can think of is that you are using hollow points in which case don't work well due to the design of this lever action.

Before sending it in, if you haven't already open it up and polish all moving parts that rub one and other with the lightest emery cloth you can find.

When these guns are produced on a assembly line it's common that some smithing my need to be done and more so on lever guns because they don't take the time to blend that tiny little spot that may cause an issue.

With my marlin I had a sharp edge on the machined opening/ inside portion where your bolt loads onto the rifle that left a tight action and rub mark on my bolt. Some emery cloth wrapped on a pencil solved this issue and my action is slick as butter now.

I would take any negative comments made on marlin with a grain of salt, indeed they had a bump in the road with their new venture but all the products are top notch now and if not better quality than it's former self.

I would purchase a remlin over any other lever manufacturer any day of the week, but that's my preference.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:31 PM
Banned

You drank the cool aid. LOL There are many better choices out there that you can actually use ,right out of the box.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:15 PM

Where did you buy it id be going back for an exchange let them deal with marlin
Old 02-07-2016, 08:51 PM

There is a few issues the barrel has deep gouges in it,stock chipped... i bought it at wss. just want a new functioning gun.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:24 AM

I wonder if you got new old stock, or if they just still have poor quality control.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:55 AM

i had 308mx and they could not fix it and sent me credit for new rifle...the remlins have had a lot of issues since they took it over. it did not give me much confidence when they called me and i had to tell them they where putting the wrong ammo in the gun!
Old 02-08-2016, 07:50 PM

Default Google Marlin 1895 Jamming Fix

This is not a new problem with the 1895's I bought one new in 2006 and it did it too. This has come up many times on this forum over the years. There used to be a fine gent handled as Ken Savage (RIP) on this sight. He used to talk about it regularly. Google it you'll find the cure for the jamming

Rob
Old 02-09-2016, 10:01 PM

My 1895 had an ovalled tube mag. Take your mag tube off and check to see if a shell drops though it freely. I used a micrometer On mine to indicate the out of round and dropped the shell for fun and was amazed when it didn't go through. I fixed it with a rag and a vise. Also the pointy hornady bullets require a different follower in the mag or you will be jamming on your second last or last she'll if I recall. The tube mag issue was from factory. Purchased around 2015 or so.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:24 PM
Banned

The only issue I've had with feeding on my marlin was using hollow point bullets. When the lifter comes up the bullet jams against the bottom portion of the barrel on occasion, with a quick flick on the lever it pops in easy enough but leaves a dimple on my bullet. I don't like that

I just ran the hornady through mine 120 times with a full mag tube and couldn't get a failure to feed and have never had a failure using it in the field.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roebag View Post
This is not a new problem with the 1895's I bought one new in 2006 and it did it too. This has come up many times on this forum over the years. There used to be a fine gent handled as Ken Savage (RIP) on this sight. He used to talk about it regularly. Google it you'll find the cure for the jamming

Rob
So what you're saying is that this was a pre remlin problem?
Old 02-10-2016, 08:06 AM

I sent in a 336 a few years back. They had it for about 2 months IIRC before they sent a replacement rifle.