Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-05-2016, 11:18 PM

Talking Which gun for 11 year old??

Since I'm introducing my 11 year old nephew to shooting, I was wondering what I should start him out with? He's expressed an interest in both shooting and hunting so I thought that I'd start teaching him safe gun handling and how to shoot so that in 2 years I could take him hunting if he wants.

If he decides that he likes it and shows enough maturity and respect for firearms
I was thinking of getting him his own "gun". For the first bit I will let him use my 22 but it is really too big for him to use effectively. It's an older Winchester bolt action and probably weighs close to 6 lbs. He's small for his age and was wondering if I should (eventually) buy him a pellet gun or I 'm leaning towards a smaller single shot bolt action 22. Any thoughts to which one, maybe the Crickett or some other?

Anyone here have a small, reliable and accurate 22 that they might want to sell or trade that won't break the bank?

Thanks.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 02-05-2016, 11:24 PM

I've got a small for his age stepson that loves the Cheippa Little Badger I bought brand new for $169.99 at Canadian Tire a couple years ago.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:30 PM

I have an 11 year old and 6 year old both wanted to start plinking with me so I bought them a savage rascal. Single shot bolt action, good peep sight on it. It is also drilled and tapped for a scope base if needed. It is very light my 6 year old can shoulder it and hold it steady for a long time. Cost was under 200$, don't remember exact amount but very reasonable I thought. I've grown to like it myself, My uncle actually used it for his trapping season this year and is going to buy one for himself for next season
Old 02-05-2016, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natepd View Post
I have an 11 year old and 6 year old both wanted to start plinking with me so I bought them a savage rascal. Single shot bolt action, good peep sight on it. It is also drilled and tapped for a scope base if needed. It is very light my 6 year old can shoulder it and hold it steady for a long time. Cost was under 200$, don't remember exact amount but very reasonable I thought. I've grown to like it myself, My uncle actually used it for his trapping season this year and is going to buy one for himself for next season

X2. My 6 year old is deadly with his rascal. Been shooting it off a rest from the age of 4.5, and freehanding gophers from 5.5. Little bugger even got a yote with it this last fall out calling with me, came in perfect to about 30yds and he let it rip, haha (I put a follow up in it while it was doing the death spin, but his shot was bang on)! Great guns for kids. Plus the fact that they're single shot is nice, I control the bullets so never have to worry about him chambering a round unless your aware of it.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:05 AM

single shot 22 of some brand. You can get the savage rascal in a bunch of different colours and it actually looks like a gun that I would buy if it were in an adult sized stock.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:17 AM

I have no experience with the rascal but I have a cricket. Great gun my son is turning 12 and has out grown it and moved to a cooey my middle son now shoots the cricket. It's a great gun. Now downside that I've come across.

I've got a friend who is getting his 12yr old a break barrel 410. Also not a bad idea.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:46 AM

I have a Savage Rascal as well, and it's been okay when kids are small (nice and light). The one issue I have with it is that it doesn't eject well, you have to really yank on the bolt or you're picking the casing out with your fingers. Price is right on them, think it was about $170.

My suggestion though, for an 11 year old, would be the world's best all-around .22 (should start some arguments) - go with a Ruger 10/22. Even though it's a semi-auto, they're very safe because they're easy to use, in terms of a good safety, enough weight that they don't feel like a 'toy' and extremely dependable. You can have the kid only load 1 or 2 at a time in the magazine if you prefer.

I bought one, took the wood stock off, put a very light adjustable synthetic stock on, and it probably weighs under 6 lbs. Stock can go from very short to long enough for me to use.

The only drawback is that the bolt can be a bit hard to cock, as the charging handle tends to be short. You can get aftermarket ones that fix this if needed. You can get them in shorter 18" barrel versions too.

They run about $275-$300 used for the standard sporter.

Another suggestion would be an older Lakefield bolt action. They were good in their day - probably get one for about $100 used now. Bit heavier and longer, but accurate.

Good luck, and have fun!

Last edited by canoe2; 02-06-2016 at 01:54 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:17 AM
Banned

Starter rifle, I wouldn't go semi. A bolt action, single shot would be ideal.

When I started my son out is was with the Daisy Red Rider BB gun. He showed the control so we moved to a pellet gun. Then to a bolt action 22 at 8 years old. He got has own at 9. At 10 (this Christmas past), he got a 243. Shortly after Christmas my wife and I got him a 12 gauge.

The only reason we have given him what we have is because he really does enjoy it, he shows a great deal of respect, more than some other adult shooters that I've seen, and well, he just really does love shooting. Almost as much as he loves playing soccer.

When it does come time for a repeater 22, look at the Remington 597. I have both the 597 and the 10/22. In stock form I truly believe the 597 is better. Better trigger, last shot hold open, mine is more accurate than my 10/22, and for me, very very personal thing, it feels better in my hands.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:22 AM
Banned

I hate to be a stick in the mud here canoe. A semi is a very poor choice for a young new shooter. Best choice by overwhelming odds is a single shot until they have proven absolute safe handling. You mention the 10/22's having s good safety. I also think that this is.not a good idea. In fact teach the youngster to totally ignore the mechanical safety and pretend it wasn't there. Relying on a safety opens up so many opportunities for disaster.

When I started my grandson at age 8 with a single shot, I hammered safe handling into his head. To the point where he actually scolded adults for various offences. This was quite funny to watch.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:27 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I hate to be a stick in the mud here canoe. A semi is a very poor choice for a young new shooter. Best choice by overwhelming odds is a single shot until they have proven absolute safe handling. You mention the 10/22's having s good safety. I also think that this is.not a good idea. In fact teach the youngster to totally ignore the mechanical safety and pretend it wasn't there. Relying on a safety opens up so many opportunities for disaster.

When I started my grandson at age 8 with a single shot, I hammered safe handling into his head. To the point where he actually scolded adults for various offences. This was quite funny to watch.
Spot on, single shot bolt action, after the shot if the barrel points the wrong way etc there is no threat just a lesson in safe weapon handling.
Remember kids are like sponges and they will catch on quicker than an adult and it will be instilled in them for a lifetime, train safe and smart.
Enjoy and have fun too

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-06-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post

Well said, I agree 100%. There is no way that I would recommend a semi auto for a new shooter.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:29 AM

Oh man !!! Nice pic and story 300magnum !! I got my a boy a rascal as we'll ..... He's 4 and hasn't shot it yet. I'll re evaluate him this summer.but I can't wait to teach him to shoot. If guns ain't his thing no biggie. Boy number 2 seems like he likes gun ..... Gets a toy gun and goes gak gak trying to shoot you. Really cute.

A rascal is definatley a top contender for first rifle. Single shot , adjustable fully rear sight.

I member being 10 and romping around the farm with my uncles 22 nothing was better and life was gr8. Lol. Back then not too much safety , we'll that's not true had a BB gun before that and learned gun responsibility with that. 22 was soooo much better than a bb

Last edited by wolf308; 02-06-2016 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:27 AM
Banned

I'm not a big fan of the guns aimed at kids (Badger and Rascal) because they are soon outgrown.
Both my boys started at eight years with the Marlin XT-22. I measured their length of pull and carefully sawed off the appropriate amount from the stock and saved it so it could be nicely screwed on after they got a little bigger.
The XT is pretty easy to load one at a time, which is what they did till I was confident they had safety rules memorized.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:44 AM

right on with the .22 single shots, as the future progresses,borrow someones single shot exposed hammer .410 or 20ga(reduced load) ... then borrow a .223 / .222 bolt / or hornet etc ... as per BG ... a .243 / 7-08 and do the 60% of h4895 max loads for a great entry into centrefire ... what a great uncle you are
Old 02-06-2016, 09:54 AM

Buy a Rascal, Badger, Chipmunk or what ever fits the kid.
When they out grow it, simply pass it along to a deserving youth, think of it as good karma.

Or sell the rifle...... The WTB ad's for youth models is constant.

Nothing will ruin a new shooter worse than ill fitting gear..... It has to be sized properly to make them want to keep trying.

Here's the Pit Boss at around 8 or 9, with a Chipmunk .22 that a good friend had provided thru an extended loan.... When the Pit Boss out grew it we gave it back, and he passed it along to another deserving youth.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-06-2016, 10:04 AM

I'd go with the rascal, when my kids aren't using it I haul it around trapping it's awkward to shoot for me cause it's so small but accurate little thing and cheap enough
Old 02-06-2016, 10:52 AM

.22 or a 17 are both good choices to start with. I agree with other members semis should not be a young beginners first.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Spot on, single shot bolt action, after the shot if the barrel points the wrong way etc there is no threat just a lesson in safe weapon handling.
Remember kids are like sponges and they will catch on quicker than an adult and it will be instilled in them for a lifetime, train safe and smart.
Enjoy and have fun too
Agreed. Its almost a given that everyone who teaches a youngster to shoot will have to remind them a couple times about barrel control and always pointing it in a safe direction. I have been out with a few youths and would be lying if i said i hadnt been swept a few times by peoples kids who hadnt taught them proper barrel control prior to getting on the range.....fortunately, never with one in the pipe, which is why i would never consider a semi for beginners.

And wolf308, enjoy the time teaching your boys how to shoot....tough to think of a more rewarding experience than watching them develop into little marksmen....an I can pretty much guarantee that you will be more excited when they get their first gopher or whatever than you have ever been taking anything!
Old 02-06-2016, 12:39 PM

Default Which gun for 11 year old??

I would start him on a bb gun first and teach and reinforce safe firearm handling. When you feel he is properly handling the bb gun . A bolt action 22 is great
Old 02-06-2016, 07:47 PM

I was looking for a youth 22 and looked at them all and ended up with a CZ Scout. Very nice CZ 452 with a youth stock and single shot magazine.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:07 PM

I really like the Savage Rascal, it's a perfect rifle for shooters under ten. I have a pink one for my seven year old daughter and it fits her perfectly. The reason I didn't mention it in my first post is simply because I think its too small for a eleven year old, even if he hasn't hit his growth spurt yet. The Little Badger is a bit bigger than the Rascal, not a lot, but enough that it fits a wider range of shooters.
It would be a good idea to take him to look at a few to get a better idea of what fits. I wouldn't go too fancy or you'll be afraid to let him get it dirty. Depending on your location you can stop by and check out mine, I've got a Rascal, Little Badger, and a classic Cooey model 39.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:13 PM

A single bolt for sure, along with gun safety they learn to make the first shot count.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:34 PM

Surprised that no one has mentioned a CZ scout. That's actually a really good little rifle... And you can get a longer boyds stock for it later...
Old 02-06-2016, 10:05 PM

Thanks for all of the replies. If I could afford it and find one I think that the CZ Scout would be my first choice. As it turns out I ended up buying a nice little Cooey 39 off of a fellow AO member. The stock has been shortened and it should fit him well and I think that he will love it. When he out grows it hopefully his little brother and sister will get to learn on it too.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 02-06-2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Buy a Rascal, Badger, Chipmunk or what ever fits the kid.
When they out grow it, simply pass it along to a deserving youth, think of it as good karma.

Or sell the rifle...... The WTB ad's for youth models is constant.

Nothing will ruin a new shooter worse than ill fitting gear..... It has to be sized properly to make them want to keep trying.

Here's the Pit Boss at around 8 or 9, with a Chipmunk .22 that a good friend had provided thru an extended loan.... When the Pit Boss out grew it we gave it back, and he passed it along to another deserving youth.
hey i recognize that feild!!! the year before this pic was taken i kilt 1500 gophers easily in the 160 acres
btw that feild has never recovered the population seems to have just spiralled downward by natural causes as well.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 02-06-2016, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
Thanks for all of the replies. If I could afford it and find one I think that the CZ Scout would be my first choice. As it turns out I ended up buying a nice little Cooey 39 off of a fellow AO member. The stock has been shortened and it should fit him well and I think that he will love it. When he out grows it hopefully his little brother and sister will get to learn on it too.
There was one with a scope at the gun show today...
Old 02-07-2016, 07:01 AM

I'm not a huge fan of Savage centrefire rifles but the Accutrigger in a rimfire makes a lot of sense. Kids have less grip strength which is a factor in shooting accuracy. The Accutrigger allows a consistent pull with good form. From our experience the Little Rascal and the Mark I have been great rifles for young shooters.