Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-11-2013, 03:24 PM

Default Tim Wells Style

Anybody shoot compounds with out sights? I grew up with a basment built recurve(old man made it), and loved shooting instinctive. I wonder what the learning curve is like?
Old 04-13-2013, 11:48 AM

I tried it on one trip when my peep flew off my string and I had no choice. I picked a spot on my string where I knew the peep used to be and practiced mid day before going to the field again. Managed a 40 yard white tail later that day. Not my preference but it was easier than I thought it would be.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker View Post
I tried it on one trip when my peep flew off my string and I had no choice. I picked a spot on my string where I knew the peep used to be and practiced mid day before going to the field again. Managed a 40 yard white tail later that day. Not my preference but it was easier than I thought it would be.
Yeah without a peep is one thing ....amny actually shoot peepless but Tim shoots without a sight at all.

Its crazy to think how he can shoot like that the guy is hardcore but probably has just as many bad shots as good ones.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:55 PM

Yeah i have wondered how much the video editing comes into play. Dont get me wrong when hunting ill never give up my modern super fast tricked out compounds. I have an old bowtech that I have just pulled the sights off, and am having a blast trying to put it on target.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:17 PM

Its not that bad really,kind of like throwing a baseball.You look where you want it to go and throw it.I started out with a Browning Wasp,Thann went to a compound again no sights.Shot several mulies and moose that way.The biggest secret is to Pick a spot, draw and shoot without hesitation.It still takes practice but its amazing how accurate you can become with pratice.That said,I use sights now and its consistantly m,ore acurate with less practice than without.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:37 AM

I shot a compound for a quite a few years without sights.
Doesn't seem to be as common any more.
Used to be barebow class in 3d shoots.
I didn't shoot instinctive, but used a method call gap shooting.
You use the point of the arrow as an aiming point, and the farther you are from the target, the smaller the gap between your point and the bull.