Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-31-2013, 07:49 PM

Default New bow? Opinions?

I'm looking at buying a bow in the very near future but I'm not sure what to get. I will mostly just be shooting at targets in the backyard on an acreage. I may go bowhunting in the future as well.

What questions should I ask?

I had a bow and was into it a tiny bit about 10 yrs, but forgot the lingo.

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:12 PM

samick sage is a ok take down recurve there cheap to around 150-180 bucks you can get it at like 45 lb pull then get new limbs up to 60 lb if you find you still enjoy it, be good for target and you can hunt with it and being take down you can store it almost any were with out takeing up space. and if you find your still interested in archery you can always get a nice costly one or one those compounds, ( im a traditional sorta guy so my idea leans that way rather then compound bows ) oh and a roll up case to carrie it around is cheap to so you wont sink a ton cash into it right away.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:51 PM

Check out a few bows at an archery store and find something comfortable. Think about draw weight, bow weight, draw length, quality of strings and sight. Once you have narrowed things down buy second hand - bows devalue quickly and many people buy into the sport and don't use the equipment.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:21 AM

I am a huge fan of Matthew's. My entire family is, so many different styles for what you need. I myself have a Matthew's chill, which is in the monster family so i get the pure brutal power but its smaller so its a perfect fit for me. super quiet and just beautiful. the other good thing about Matthew's is a lifetime warranty, always nice.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:27 PM

Get out to a archery shop and shoot as many bows as possible. That way you can have a feel for them and see what fits you the best and not what someone tells you will work
Old 04-07-2013, 01:21 PM

I just picked up a bowtech assassin with the R.A.K package, a very good bow for the $$. I had them switch the arrow rest out for a ripcord and started tuning it yesterday. I haven't bow hunted for 5 years so I have all summer to practice. It won't hurt to look at whats out there so this is another one on your list to try.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:48 PM

Seems that a guy doesnt have to break the bank anymore to get a good compound. Elite, mission, and bear are actually pretty quality packages for the money. I shot a bowtech tribute for years, and recently switched to a pse dream season. Gotta say i think i liked the bowtech more. Brace height was a little longer, and the bow shot smoother.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Renagade View Post
Get out to a archery shop and shoot as many bows as possible. That way you can have a feel for them and see what fits you the best and not what someone tells you will work
this!
Old 04-08-2013, 09:09 PM

I purchased at Jimbows in Calgary a Bowtech and am very pleased. Prior to that it was a APA from a local archery lane went to buy what would have been my 3rd APA from the same place but got zero service, left and have not been back since. I found Jimbows by chance and I am very happy with the service, the knowledge, everything
Old 04-09-2013, 01:09 PM

Second to the knowledge and service from Jimbows!
Old 04-09-2013, 05:58 PM

Mission bows made by Mathews are a high quality bow for bargain prices...pending on if you want a long bow, recurve, compound...or even used..I agree visit a pro shop...and make your own decision
when a bow picks you...lol
JMHO
Neil