Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-25-2013, 11:40 AM

Default cant wait for summer.

So last July I was casting big dries to some hungry cutts. I decided to head downstream to hit a beaver dam I knew was money. On my way I saw a fish rising in a shallow run between two deep holes. A couple of casts and bam....fish on. Not a big one but a fish none the less. Quite a frantic fight for a cutt I thought. Hey wait...that's not a cutt its a brookie. They sure have a different fight than a cutt. Anyway as I was pulling it in I saw a big dark shadow emerge from the deep. A big bull trout was after the hooked brookie. I netted the brookie quickly and the bull was gone. Wow. That was cool. I tied on a double bunny to see if the bull was still hanging about. Three or four casts later bam! Bull on. Good size too. Not my biggest but according to the measure net he was 24 inch. I recorded the release. I didn't bother with a photo. As you can see in the short video my release is quite quick and with minimal handling. I like a good fish photo but after catching countless numbers of fish over the years it has to be something really special to capture a picture.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0Iu...e_gdata_player
Old 02-25-2013, 11:46 AM
Banned

Thats a nice lookin' bulltrout! I hope to get back into fly fishing this year and hit some of the small streams and creeks in the S.W.