Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-25-2020, 08:24 PM

Default Alberta Game Warden Association Stance on Gun Ban

Alberta Game Warden Association
May 18 at 11:41 PM ·
On May 1, 2020, Prime Minister Trudeau and the Liberal government implemented a prohibition of over 1500 firearms through an Order in Council (OIC).

The Alberta Game Warden Association (AGWA) wishes to clearly state that they oppose the OIC Firearms Ban and believes that any such issues should be taken through the democratic processes which our officials have been elected and sworn to uphold.

The Alberta Game Warden Association consists of Fish and Wildlife officers who strive to conserve the natural resources of Alberta by ensuring compliance with resource related activities such as hunting, trapping and fishing and to provide public safety by managing dangerous wildlife. AGWA believes it is critically important to show support for their stakeholders, specifically lawful firearms owners in the hunting, trapping, sport competition/target shooting and ranching community.

The OIC Firearm Ban lacks evidence-based decision making as shown in the following paragraphs.

The OIC claimed to be banning Military Grade Assault Weapons. That fundamental premise of the OIC is flawed as Military Grade Assault Weapons refers to fully automatic firearms with high capacity magazines, both of which were already prohibited in Canada in 1977 and 1992 respectively. None of the firearms that were banned are capable of firing in fully automatic mode (one depression of the trigger allowing for continuous firing) or legally able to contain more than five rounds in the magazine.

The Federal Liberal OIC further states that none of the firearms banned are commonly used for sporting or hunting purposes. However, the restricted firearms that are now prohibited, have been used for decades for sporting and competition purposes and were licensed by the Federal government for this very purpose. The non-restricted firearms that were banned under the OIC are common hunting rifles for both predators and large game animals. This was demonstrated by the fact that an exemption was included in the OIC allowing Indigenous people to continue to hunt for subsistence purposes with these very same firearms.

In addition to banning 1,500 firearms by specific make and model, the firearm ban includes the banning of firearms with a bore of 20 mm or more. Most 10 and 12 gauge shotguns with a removable choke have a bore of 20 mm or more, and would therefore be banned under the new regulations imposed. The intent of making these firearms may not be there at this moment. However, we believe that this oversight is a key example why this issue should have gone through the Parliamentary process. Instead, the lawful outdoor community members such as upland bird hunters or waterfowler’s have become criminals for possession of certain shotguns.

Statistics Canada figures show licenced gun owners are among the least likely citizens to commit a violent crime. New public safety measures should target the people responsible for criminal activity, tighten bail release conditions and address the socio-economic environments that give rise to violent life styles. Criminals who have illegally obtained firearms will not be impacted by this confiscation regime.

The Vancouver City Police Chief, who is the head of the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police, was asked in 2019 whether he felt Canada needed further gun controls. He said, “Canada already has strong firearms regulations and no other law is required. The firearms laws in Canada are actually very good right now. They’re very strict.”

The Alberta Game Warden Association urges the Federal Liberal Party to repeal the OIC Firearm Ban immediately to ensure Canadian citizens can continue to use these firearms responsibly and not face criminal prosecution for possessing lawfully acquired property. Limited government resources should be focused on taking action against the root causes of violent crime, such as gang violence, firearms obtained illegally or those which are illegally smuggled into Canada.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:29 PM

Gotta like that
Old 05-25-2020, 11:48 PM

That was very Nice to read. Good on the AGWA!
Old 05-26-2020, 01:14 AM

Nice work !
Old 05-26-2020, 01:28 AM
Banned

Aaaw, that’s so cute! Repeating what we all know already.
They forgot to mention that the F&W decided to not wear the kevlar anymore, as hunters and fishermen are the most upstanding citizens around. Also, not enforcing the OIC upon Joe, who grabbed the 10ga instead of the 12ga in the dead of the night, heading to the pond.

Other than that, well written! CtrlC-CtrlV works every time.

CAN-do
Old 05-26-2020, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAN-do View Post
They forgot to mention that the F&W decided to not wear the kevlar anymore, as hunters and fishermen are the most upstanding citizens around. Also, not enforcing the OIC upon Joe, who grabbed the 10ga instead of the 12ga in the dead of the night, heading to the pond.

CAN-do
Cute you say?
What an arrant and ignorant post.
You make it sound like this is some great epiphany of the Game Warden association which it is anything but .
What this is , is their official statement on their stance on the new OIC, which you should be welcoming instead of founding sarcastic about it .
Weather or not they want to wear Kevlar is up to them , and don't think for a second that just because a guy has a hunting rifle in his truck during hunting season that he is an upstanding Citizen.
I have warden friends who have been threatened with rifles and AND handguns in the past .
Cat
Old 05-26-2020, 07:28 AM

Default without hunters

They have no job.......DU were cowards and refused to back hunters.Remember that.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:54 AM

Nobody in Ottawa gives a damn about what Western Canadians think. Sad truth.

Grizz
Old 05-26-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAN-do View Post

CAN-do

Not sure what your " BANNED " user name was before April when you came back as CAN-do but you have not contributed a thing sensible since then.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Not sure what your " BANNED " user name was before April when you came back as CAN-do but you have not contributed a thing sensible since then.
CAN-do unfortunately CAN'T-do anything for the next while.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:47 AM

Im actually looking forward to running from teargas at one of our protests....i will wear a mask then......
Old 05-26-2020, 11:32 AM

That won’t happen. The ones with the tear gas are on “our” side. You can read about it here n AO. Stop being disrespectful.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
The world is a better place or as Can-do would say " AWW that's so cute "

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:56 PM

Glad the boys have our backs, so to speak. It is a co-ordinated voice of law enforcement showing support for legal gun owners, sure better than having them on the other side.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 06-07-2020, 12:57 PM

Default AGWA stance on gun ban

Bit of a belated post, but want to thank the Alberta Game Warden Assoc. for their stance on this, in case any of their members read it. Very important that all voices be heard, and their stance is being considered at my range right now, where we're deciding whether to exclude military/police groups as part of a reaction to the OIC. Every voice counts right now, and all support is important.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:25 PM

Very happy to read that from AGWA!
Old 11-17-2020, 09:23 PM
Banned

Awesome they are on our side.
But this is why we need to make our own laws in Alberta. We don't need some dork with frilly socks and a side kick like Bill the Baffoon Blair in Ottawa making rules for OUR gun rights.
Old 11-19-2020, 01:37 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
Thx...and to the OP thx for the good read too.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-20-2020, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helluvahunter View Post
Awesome they are on our side.
But this is why we need to make our own laws in Alberta. We don't need some dork with frilly socks and a side kick like Bill the Baffoon Blair in Ottawa making rules for OUR gun rights.
While this is all fine and dandy, IIRC they officially opposed the gun registry as well... still didnt stop a few individual CO's from flexing their muscles and making life difficult for those caught with an un-registered firearm.

So while I am glad that they arent openly against us, I do feel that its a more or less meaningless statement.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsnroses View Post
Alberta Game Warden Association
May 18 at 11:41 PM ·
On May 1, 2020, Prime Minister Trudeau and the Liberal government implemented a prohibition of over 1500 firearms through an Order in Council (OIC).

The Alberta Game Warden Association (AGWA) wishes to clearly state that they oppose the OIC Firearms Ban and believes that any such issues should be taken through the democratic processes which our officials have been elected and sworn to uphold.

The Alberta Game Warden Association consists of Fish and Wildlife officers who strive to conserve the natural resources of Alberta by ensuring compliance with resource related activities such as hunting, trapping and fishing and to provide public safety by managing dangerous wildlife. AGWA believes it is critically important to show support for their stakeholders, specifically lawful firearms owners in the hunting, trapping, sport competition/target shooting and ranching community.

The OIC Firearm Ban lacks evidence-based decision making as shown in the following paragraphs.

The OIC claimed to be banning Military Grade Assault Weapons. That fundamental premise of the OIC is flawed as Military Grade Assault Weapons refers to fully automatic firearms with high capacity magazines, both of which were already prohibited in Canada in 1977 and 1992 respectively. None of the firearms that were banned are capable of firing in fully automatic mode (one depression of the trigger allowing for continuous firing) or legally able to contain more than five rounds in the magazine.

The Federal Liberal OIC further states that none of the firearms banned are commonly used for sporting or hunting purposes. However, the restricted firearms that are now prohibited, have been used for decades for sporting and competition purposes and were licensed by the Federal government for this very purpose. The non-restricted firearms that were banned under the OIC are common hunting rifles for both predators and large game animals. This was demonstrated by the fact that an exemption was included in the OIC allowing Indigenous people to continue to hunt for subsistence purposes with these very same firearms.

In addition to banning 1,500 firearms by specific make and model, the firearm ban includes the banning of firearms with a bore of 20 mm or more. Most 10 and 12 gauge shotguns with a removable choke have a bore of 20 mm or more, and would therefore be banned under the new regulations imposed. The intent of making these firearms may not be there at this moment. However, we believe that this oversight is a key example why this issue should have gone through the Parliamentary process. Instead, the lawful outdoor community members such as upland bird hunters or waterfowler’s have become criminals for possession of certain shotguns.

Statistics Canada figures show licenced gun owners are among the least likely citizens to commit a violent crime. New public safety measures should target the people responsible for criminal activity, tighten bail release conditions and address the socio-economic environments that give rise to violent life styles. Criminals who have illegally obtained firearms will not be impacted by this confiscation regime.

The Vancouver City Police Chief, who is the head of the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police, was asked in 2019 whether he felt Canada needed further gun controls. He said, “Canada already has strong firearms regulations and no other law is required. The firearms laws in Canada are actually very good right now. They’re very strict.”

The Alberta Game Warden Association urges the Federal Liberal Party to repeal the OIC Firearm Ban immediately to ensure Canadian citizens can continue to use these firearms responsibly and not face criminal prosecution for possessing lawfully acquired property. Limited government resources should be focused on taking action against the root causes of violent crime, such as gang violence, firearms obtained illegally or those which are illegally smuggled into Canada.
What is the source of this? Any clown could have written that.

Credible sources matter. Please, better documentation. TY.
Old 11-21-2020, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep dog View Post

You must be a riot at a party Shep. Your positivity is a true inspiration in these tough times.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
You must be a riot at a party Shep. Your positivity is a true inspiration in these tough times.
I deeply apologise Scotty. You go grab yourself a pop and join the rest of the kids in the basement while that adults have a conversation upstairs.

I'm not looking to inspire anyone. Don't believe everything you read or hear. You know better than that, right Scotty?
Old 11-25-2020, 03:00 AM

Quote:
I deeply apologise Scotty. You go grab yourself a pop and join the rest of the kids in the basement while that adults have a conversation upstairs.

I'm not looking to inspire anyone. Don't believe everything you read or hear. You know better than that, right Scotty?
WTF man? I try to give you a nice compliment and you try to insult me?
Old 11-25-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:

If you come here for the news look no further than the nearest mirror for the clown.
Old 11-25-2020, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
WTF man? I try to give you a nice compliment and you try to insult me?
I didn't see a compliment, but if I'm wrong, I'll man up and offer you my sincerest apology. I guess I took your comment the wrong way, my mistake.

Factually, I'm told I am a riot at a party...just add beer.

Cheers, no hard feelings I hope.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:43 PM

Derailing and insulting behavior will land your butt in the dog house for a month, or more if warranted! Just ask Shep_dog, when he gets back.