Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-03-2019, 03:31 PM

Default Weekend warriors

As hunters we all like to get out and enjoy the outdoors. With Sunday hunting opening a few years back and more and more land closer to the cities being posted, we are seeing more and more hunters from out of the area! All fine BUT what hasn’t happened for some time is Ariel animal counts done by biologists and the tags are just being issued in relation to old data. With moose draws and elk draws available I’m seeing groups come out with a moose tag and 4, 6 or more doe tags and guys have one weekend to hunt and are shooting everything they see. Last night I seen a group of hunters that shot two yearling mule deer. They already had one in the truck.
I guess what I’m saying is that if people are wanting to have animals to hunt we shouldn’t depend on our government biologists to know what there are for animals, we as hunters need to manage it ourselves as well. The numbers are way down, so if you’ve been in an area for many years and the numbers aren’t what they used to be, then maybe don’t shoot everything that moves, stay within your means!
Old 11-03-2019, 03:53 PM

Don’t go there, I tried saying what I do in my area and got jumped all over by everyone!
Old 11-03-2019, 03:55 PM

No different in my area I see guys shooting spikers,does guys are driving up from Calgary to hunt around my area, around Grand Prairie end up going home with a truckload of small deer I don't get it the trophy potential is dropped in that area.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2019, 03:57 PM

I agree stay within you means is a great philosophy. Some people just like to kill though. As for don’t trust the biologists well unfortunately that’s what we pay them to do. Monitor and distribute tags based on their findings. All warriors weekend or not are within their legal rights.

This thread I feel will go south in a hurry.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:29 PM

Economic situation being what it is, more people looking just for meat in the freezer. Horns don't matter worth a damn. Tough to fault that.

Grizz
Old 11-03-2019, 04:45 PM

In some cases by the time you factor in fuel, butcher costs, hunting licenses, etc.. it's cheaper for them to go-to the grocery store. I've seen alot of yearling deer harvested as well, why I'm not sure. Our group passes up white tail does for the simple fact that our white tail population has taken a beating over the last 10 years but we know the next group will probably tag them all.

But what else can a guy do, hopefully others do the same and maybe the population will rebound. But it's been 10 years since the bug culls and they are still down in numbers.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Economic situation being what it is, more people looking just for meat in the freezer. Horns don't matter worth a damn. Tough to fault that.

Grizz
Most of the time it's a lot cheaper to buy your meat locally than to travel to hunt. I've had a few deer that cost me more than a thousand dollars a piece...

I do think that weekend warriors suck. Most of those people are careless and are preoccupied with one thing only, that being filling their tag. If they don't have the time to hunt, I doubt that they have thoroughly prepared for the hunting season by honing their marksmanship at a range.

I've hunted with that type a few times. One person shot three deer in the gut during the same season! The other one took pride in taking "crazy shots" at game. He said that's what he was known for... 700 yard shots without any consideration for the ethical dispatching of the quarry.

That mentality won't disappear, sadly. Hence my efforts to distance myself from the popular areas.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:59 PM
Banned

National road hunting weekend was this weekend!!

Can't stand road hunters. Can almost count more trucks than deer seen this weekend. Slow rolling along farm land. Like how fast are you gonna be able to shoot that deer and get it through or over that barbed wire fence???
Old 11-03-2019, 05:37 PM

Imagine, people shooting deer during deer season, bastards.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-03-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAK Precision View Post
In some cases by the time you factor in fuel, butcher costs, hunting licenses, etc.. it's cheaper for them to go-to the grocery store. I've seen alot of yearling deer harvested as well, why I'm not sure. Our group passes up white tail does for the simple fact that our white tail population has taken a beating over the last 10 years but we know the next group will probably tag them all.

But what else can a guy do, hopefully others do the same and maybe the population will rebound. But it's been 10 years since the bug culls and they are still down in numbers.
My thoughts exactly that's how I request anyone that hunts at my camp

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2019, 05:47 PM

Generally,
I don’t hunt for horn. Meat buck is great. Big doe at the end of the season works for me.

Having said that. I’m hunting in areas with pretty healthy Populations.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 11-03-2019, 05:48 PM

So would the same guys complaining about these weekend warriors give up their land owner tags? Doubt it.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnDawg View Post
So would the same guys complaining about these weekend warriors give up their land owner tags? Doubt it.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:55 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnDawg View Post
Why would they??...and what the heck do landowner tags have to do with this thread???
Old 11-03-2019, 06:22 PM

Here we go..............................

Look the ditch!

There are no absolutes
Old 11-03-2019, 06:30 PM
Banned

How dare deer hunters hunt deer in deer season.

How deer they?!?!

REEEEE
Old 11-03-2019, 06:51 PM

Every year

Old 11-03-2019, 06:59 PM

Play within the rules and don’t take more than you need is the main thing. Everyone hunts for different reasons and has different goals when it comes to their hunt.

So what is the magic standard?

I am way more concerned about those who poach and those who waste then what another hunter chooses to legally fill their tag
Old 11-03-2019, 07:02 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavindish72 View Post
As hunters we all like to get out and enjoy the outdoors. With Sunday hunting opening a few years back and more and more land closer to the cities being posted, we are seeing more and more hunters from out of the area! All fine BUT what hasn’t happened for some time is Ariel animal counts done by biologists and the tags are just being issued in relation to old data. With moose draws and elk draws available I’m seeing groups come out with a moose tag and 4, 6 or more doe tags and guys have one weekend to hunt and are shooting everything they see. Last night I seen a group of hunters that shot two yearling mule deer. They already had one in the truck.
I guess what I’m saying is that if people are wanting to have animals to hunt we shouldn’t depend on our government biologists to know what there are for animals, we as hunters need to manage it ourselves as well. The numbers are way down, so if you’ve been in an area for many years and the numbers aren’t what they used to be, then maybe don’t shoot everything that moves, stay within your means!
This stands true for fishing too....we need to govern our actions not because someone says we can take 6 when all we need is 1.

If you know the area you hunt or fish then you know what's right.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-03-2019, 07:03 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Generally,
I don’t hunt for horn. Meat buck is great. Big doe at the end of the season works for me.

Having said that. I’m hunting in areas with pretty healthy Populations.
Take a spike buck...doe may have a belly full of the future...just saying.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-03-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
This stands true for fishing too....we need to govern our actions not because someone says we can take 6 when all we need is 1.

If you know the area you hunt or fish then you know what's right.
one is nothing i want all 6
Old 11-03-2019, 07:44 PM

I think it would all equal out,I have not closed a beer tag in years,nothing bigger then my best so I eat tag soup by choice,and most of my hunting friends do the same.just my $0.02 cents
Old 11-03-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
I think it would all equal out,I have not closed a beer tag in years
me neither too many flavorslol
Old 11-03-2019, 08:24 PM

How does this follow under a "weekend warrior" title?

Not sure where you live but that's like someone who goes out once for a deer hunt in their truck and saying well the animal counts are low because they see 1 deer in a 10 hour day hunt. You noticed one group who shot some deer but what about the groups who go home empty handed.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Here we go..............................

Look the ditch!

Cat
Old 11-03-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Imagine, people shooting deer during deer season, bastards.
Ya and they are out of their area and in "My Area".
The balls they have
WDF
Old 11-03-2019, 08:38 PM

Great post. I agree, to bad many can’t see the light.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:01 PM

Default Yes I woukd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Take a spike buck...doe may have a belly full of the future...just saying.
If the opportunity presents itself.... but if it’s my last day and I have no other option..... meat.

I get the whole gestating new generation thing. But again. Population here is such that I’m bettin they may bring supplemental tags back to this area.

I like the meat. I also do the late late season cow elk draws..... and yea.. same problemo really.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 11-03-2019, 09:03 PM

For all those that have problems with hunters, weekend or resident, taking a legal animal after buying a liscence, perhaps the answer is having all game animals on draw, and very limited at that. No general tags. And the existing draws allowance should be cut in half, to reestablish he the trophy quality.

Would that make you happy?

Ps, along with doing away with landowner tags,,,,,,
Old 11-04-2019, 12:05 AM

I'll be looking for the youngest deer I can find - still with spots, if I can find one. I want to try out a standing roast recipe! I was successful in the draws I applied for; antlerless w/tail & antlerless mule. In fact, I think 'undersubscribed' tags are still available there. I only need one, and I'll avoid the weekends....