Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-02-2019, 11:52 AM

Default Lowrance 12v Power

Hey fellas - I just bought a new Elite Ti 9 at Bass Pro and I've been told that I can power it up in the house but need to get a 12 volt power adapter. I've googled it but only see cigarette lighter ones. Anyone here able to give me any info or a link to what I'm looking for? Thanks in advance!!
Old 12-02-2019, 12:18 PM

I have the cigarette lighter one for my lowrance units, but then you also need a 120 volt adapter for it.

Another option would be to use a 12 volt battery. the ones u use for ice fishing are small and can do the job so you can play with it indoors.
For my humminbird units this is what I use for them just a regular power cable with the connections you need. Dont forget an inline fuse.
Also allows for a portable solution if you ever need it, ice fishing or rental boat.

https://thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?...ABLE/&se=25854
and comes with fuse.

For ice fishing type battery:

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...rs/A-p8234817e

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:19 PM

The tough thing is going to be getting the right female connections to connect to the fish finder's small male pins.

I was fortunate enough to dig through an auto dealer's entire collection of weatherpak connectors, there was only one that was a perfect fit. Somebody might know of a part number for a connector you can order online, if not here I'm sure somebody at walleye central has discussed it.

I just use a small aqua view battery to power mine in the house, but otherwise you'd be looking for an adapter that puts out 12v, and 1 to 2 amps should be fine, if I remember right the fish finders usually run a 3 amp fuse.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:37 PM

Yikes...all of this is pretty Greek to me. I'm NOT mechanically/electrically inclined. I'll have to ask some questions and maybe watch some YT vids.....have no clue about fuses or how you connect all those wires.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
Yikes...all of this is pretty Greek to me. I'm NOT mechanically/electrically inclined. I'll have to ask some questions and maybe watch some YT vids.....have no clue about fuses or how you connect all those wires.
Just keep it simple.

Take your standard Lowrance power cable and connect it to any 12V battery. You don't need fancy connectors. Add a simple spade connector if that's what's on the battery or even just tightening the bare wire on the auto style batteries will work just fine.

The small sealed batteries are best, either from ice fishing gear, your dirtbike/quad, etc... because there's no risk of them leaking acid. If I'm spending a lot of time, I'll connect a small 2 Amp trickle charger to the battery to keep it full and help with grounding.

Being able to use your sonar unit from the comfort of your couch is really nice. You can spend the time setting it all up and learning the menus while you have a beer and watch hockey rather than burning up valuable fishing time.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
Just keep it simple.

Take your standard Lowrance power cable and connect it to any 12V battery. You don't need fancy connectors. Add a simple spade connector if that's what's on the battery or even just tightening the bare wire on the auto style batteries will work just fine.

The small sealed batteries are best, either from ice fishing gear, your dirtbike/quad, etc... because there's no risk of them leaking acid. If I'm spending a lot of time, I'll connect a small 2 Amp trickle charger to the battery to keep it full and help with grounding.

Being able to use your sonar unit from the comfort of your couch is really nice. You can spend the time setting it all up and learning the menus while you have a beer and watch hockey rather than burning up valuable fishing time.
appreciate that a lot. I have a Lowrance 3x Ice unit, that comes with a small battery. The wires have the little sleeves on them that allow them to slide on to the battery nodes. So I would need something similar, because right now it's just a red and black bare wire. Also have to figure out how to attach that intermediate fuse that comes with it...it's all just bare wires and I have zero clue what to do with it all.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
appreciate that a lot. I have a Lowrance 3x Ice unit, that comes with a small battery. The wires have the little sleeves on them that allow them to slide on to the battery nodes. So I would need something similar, because right now it's just a red and black bare wire. Also have to figure out how to attach that intermediate fuse that comes with it...it's all just bare wires and I have zero clue what to do with it all.
Crimp on a couple spade connectors from C tire (like $2 a pack) and hook it up.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/g...?rrec=true#spc

If you're using a small portable battery I wouldn't be too worried about the fuse, there's not enough voltage or amperage there to really wreck anything. HOWEVER, to be 100% sure, simply buy some butt connectors (another $2) and connect one end of the the fuse assembly to the positive wire with a butt connector and put a spade connector on the other end of it. Done.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/g...?rrec=true#spc