Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-06-2019, 08:56 AM

Near 55 years ago and near 2:00 AM, my brother and I were dating sisters who we took to the Calgary Stampede. There was a hell of a storm so we dropped the sisters off And we headed home in Turner Valley. There is a small creek that drains the South side of Calgary through the swamps in the highway #2 ># 22 corner,
Well, the creek was flooding covering highway #2 in 8” of water about 100 yards wide. I followed a semi across. On the west side in the ditch was a small truck piled up against a fence post and on the east side a family sitting on top of their car.
Now to find a cop to block the lanes. Headed to Okotoks and drove up and down the residential streets blowing my horn. A RCMP officer found me jumping out of his car wearing a baseball uniform.
Never did hear how things worked out after that.

Don
Old 12-06-2019, 09:02 AM

I have seen a couple of dead antelope around Bonnyville. Must be climate change.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:27 AM

Weird things you see on the highway

I once saw a guy driving a Honda Ridgeline...
Old 12-06-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post

Are you sure it was not an ugly woman?
Old 12-06-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post

I'd be careful about mocking the Honda Ridgeline. Pretty sure it's one of the mods go to vehicle.

BW
Old 12-06-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
I'd be careful about mocking the Honda Ridgeline. Pretty sure it's one of the mods go to vehicle.

BW
Really...? I’d say the Admin must not have known that when he got the spot but nothing surprises me these days...lol.

By the way BW, pretty hard to get him to bite once you stated the obvious.😁
Old 12-06-2019, 08:05 PM

A few years back I saw a fully armoured ‘knight’ walking down the #1 headed west. With an armoured horse being led behind him. It must have been 30 degrees that day too. Thought I hallucinated it.
Later learned he walked/rode from Quebec City to calgary for no reason other than he wanted to.

Flanny
Old 12-06-2019, 08:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Was in Surrey on the way to see a buddy with the family. Stopped at a red light and locked eyes with a girl across the street. She smiled, turned around and dropped her pants to her ankles, showed us all everything. My young son was quite impressed, wife and daughter not as much.

Much freakier- was in Montana years ago, right downtown Great falls. All of a sudden there was a huge roar, the biggest green semi's I had ever seen. Apparently they were moving nuclear missiles to the silo's. I had no idea what they were at the time, someone local explained it to us later. It was a huge parade.
Surrey is well known for "ladies" with relaxed sexual norms
Old 12-07-2019, 03:38 AM

In downtown Missoula, Montana twenty-five years ago, I saw a big hairy football player sized guy roller skate out of a parkade, in the early morning, in a pink tutu and tights -
I wondered if he lost a bet or .......?
Old 12-07-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanny View Post
A few years back I saw a fully armoured ‘knight’ walking down the #1 headed west. With an armoured horse being led behind him. It must have been 30 degrees that day too. Thought I hallucinated it.
Later learned he walked/rode from Quebec City to calgary for no reason other than he wanted to.

Flanny
That must have been the same "knight" I saw on a grid road 10 km south of Piapot headed west towards Maple Creek, wearing chainmail armor, steel helmet compete with nose guard and riding a big bay heavy horse.

Definitely a WTF moment. I was late for appointment and pulling equipment so I didn't think to stop and get a picture which I kind of regretted later because I received more than a few "yeah sures" when I told people about it.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:59 AM

Seen many strange things while driving but one of the best was going from Edm to Slave Lake, Middle of February and one of those days where you get the fast drop from -5 to about -30 when the sun went down. Back then there wasn't a lot of traffic once you got north of Westlock. Found a Cadillac pulled over just South of Smith, all iced over but the engine was running. Stopped to see if the people were okay, find two Black guys from Florida with every piece of clothing they own layered on. Turns out the car had an air conditioner but no heater. They were driving with their heads out the side windows till their faces froze up, stop, warm up, do it again. Gave them a ride into Slave Lake and got Carl Gongos to send a wrecker to pick up the car. They were in Slave for over a week waiting for the parts to have a heater installed in the Caddy. Took them ice fishing and snowmobiling, can't say they thought much of ice fishing but they thought snowmobiles were cool..
Old 12-07-2019, 10:14 AM

I saw this guy on Stoney trail near COP last labour day weekend , wonder if he got a ride later .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg labour day.jpg (27.0 KB, 275 views)
Old 12-07-2019, 10:35 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88thunderbird View Post
I saw this guy on Stoney trail near COP last labour day weekend , wonder if he got a ride later .
It really makes you wonder what the hell goes through people's minds doesn't it?

gross

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-07-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
My public address system hidden behind the grille is broken so I can't currently play "duelling banjo's" when I run down unicyclists in order to bring them back to my captive grizzlies. its a live-action money making venture where Japanese tourists pay handsomely to watch cage-matches. I found that song would put people in a real panic and they'd be more prone to making fatal mistakes that led to easy captures.

I'm curious how the guy knew I was in a plumbing van because I'm not currently running any signage? I'll more resemble one of those 'adventure van' 4X4 campers until my graphics are on...

Maybe it was the bumper sticker that read 'Plumbers do it under the counter'.

Colin
Old 12-07-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Passed the Oscar Meyer wienermobile on an interstate in West Virginia. Interesting to see a yellow hotdog barreling down the highway
Was that Virginian hot dog just like it was thrown down a hallway?

🤔
Old 12-07-2019, 10:30 PM

People going slow in the right hand lane.

People using their turn signals
Old 12-07-2019, 10:37 PM

Saw big white 80's caddy pulling a mid sized fifth wheel trailer on the Deerfoot about 15 years ago. He had a hitch rigged up in the trunk.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:26 PM

Was driving in rural Indiana (went to school there) on a secondary highway and came upon some slow traffic in the middle of nowhere.

Each car was waiting for oncoming to clear, or whatever, to cut around a van that was crawling slowly in our lane. As I get closer to my turn maybe 5-6 cars back, I see a dude hanging out the top of it (sunroof or cutout) yelling something with a megaphone. I can't remember what he was yelling but it was pretty funny ..... like "shame on you", "repent" or "you will burn in hell" or something like that to all the people passing him going both ways.

The van had all sorts of religious slogans, pictures, and junky fake religious artifacts plastered all over this van, so I'm looking at this guy yelling, kinda bent down to peer through my passenger window and as I'm passing, and I don't know why, but I decided cut rapidly in front of the van and was just about to accelerate, when I saw a guy, maybe 20-30 feet out front of the van, dressed up as Jesus, complete with loin cloth and crown of thorns, carrying a cross (it actually had training wheels on the bottom).

Had I been paying a little less attention or cut in any closer I would have ran over the Jesus guy.

How many people can say they almost ran over Jesus on the highway?

Last edited by EZM; 12-07-2019 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:12 AM

I was heading to work in September and had just got onto hiway 16 at about 5:45 AM and met a semi coming my way. And I am wondering when hiway 16 had gone back to two lane.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by browning21 View Post
Saw big white 80's caddy pulling a mid sized fifth wheel trailer on the Deerfoot about 15 years ago. He had a hitch rigged up in the trunk.

I seen a guy in Fox Creek doing the same about 5 or 6 years ago. Big old ford car with a fifth wheel hitch in the trunk pulling a 5th wheel trailer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2019, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck12 View Post
I have seen a couple of dead antelope around Bonnyville. Must be climate change.

Are you sure these weren’t goats?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2019, 08:39 AM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Was driving in rural Indiana (went to school there) on a secondary highway and came upon some slow traffic in the middle of nowhere.

Each car was waiting for oncoming to clear, or whatever, to cut around a van that was crawling slowly in our lane. As I get closer to my turn maybe 5-6 cars back, I see a dude hanging out the top of it (sunroof or cutout) yelling something with a megaphone. I can't remember what he was yelling but it was pretty funny ..... like "shame on you", "repent" or "you will burn in hell" or something like that to all the people passing him going both ways.

The van had all sorts of religious slogans, pictures, and junky fake religious artifacts plastered all over this van, so I'm looking at this guy yelling, kinda bent down to peer through my passenger window and as I'm passing, and I don't know why, but I decided cut rapidly in front of the van and was just about to accelerate, when I saw a guy, maybe 20-30 feet out front of the van, dressed up as Jesus, complete with loin cloth and crown of thorns, carrying a cross (it actually had training wheels on the bottom).

Had I been paying a little less attention or cut in any closer I would have ran over the Jesus guy.

How many people can say they almost ran over Jesus on the highway?
Probably just left Chicago and he's bound for New Orleans
Old 12-08-2019, 01:57 PM

If you drive from Calgary to Canmore and can spot the Honda civics pulling home made trailers give them a little extra room they will start fish tailing taking up both lanes and the ditch after a bump.
Old 12-08-2019, 03:02 PM

Not much to report here - was drivin thru Banff National Park with the wife at the proverbial 2 in the morning on our way to BC when we saw all these "glowing orbs" close to the car on the right, at about 80 kliks.

Turned out to be the eyes of a bunch of elk in the hi-beams that were smart enough to stay off of the driving lanes when a vehicle approached.

Sorry folks! No ghosts or UFOs!
Old 12-08-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post
People using their turn signals
I don't believe you!!

Maybe you shifted to a parallel universe for a time...........
Old 12-09-2019, 11:44 AM

Guy gutting a Moose on the side of double lane Hwy43 easy of GP a couple weeks ago at 11pm.
Just on edge of road 1/2 on pavement right lane

Wasn't sure what I saw, thought it looked like a person laying on the road and another bent over helping. So turned around to make sure everything was good, guess it was.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88thunderbird View Post
NO! I walked for three miles and no one would give me a ride. Feet were pretty sore.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:00 AM

I used to commute into Calgary from Turner Valley at 5am with a neighbor who worked Downtown.
Ray was always seeing things.One January he insisted I stop because he swears he saw a Parrot sitting on a fence post about halfway to Millarville. I stopped, backed up-Nothing there of course.
He would not let it go.
So I plotted some fun revenge.

Was cleaning out the basement and found my old tattered Master Angler Perch mount that had seen much better days that I had caught in the early 70's.

So I went out the night before and drove out to the same area he swore he saw the Parrot and I nailed the Perch mount to the fence post.

We are booking along swigging coffee in the morning and I yell out "Perch"

His head snaps around and his jaw drops open as he sees it.An incredulous look on his face.

I started laughing and he sulked all the way into work. He called me names and hurt my feelings
Old 12-10-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
I started laughing and he sulked all the way into work. He called me names and hurt my feelings
I hate it when they do that, (s******).