Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-06-2019, 12:52 PM

Default Car Insurance Question

Hi there,

Appreciate some feedback for those insurance folks out there on the board.

This past year our 17 year old son was on our car insurance policy as a occasional driver (or whatever it's called). We had decided that at renewal time of the policy that we would remove him from the policy, as he won't be driving our vehicles going forward.

The insurance company is telling me that he cannot be taken off the policy because since he is still living under our roof that there is a risk that he may use a vehicle (even in an emergency situation (they tell me)) and that if he were to do that that he would not be covered if in an accident...

Is this true? Is there no way to remove him from my insurance policy while he is still living under my roof?

Thanks
Old 11-06-2019, 01:19 PM

I think he needs his own vehicle registered in his name to live under your roof on his own policy.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:34 PM

Maybe shop around with other companies, start a new policy without him on it.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:55 PM

Spoke to our Personal Lines Producer:

Every Situation and Company is a bit different but, for the most part it is true. All licensed drivers in the household must be listed on the policy. The only way they would generally be okay with it is if the driver has their own vehicle and coverage. It is not in the best interest of the client to not list the 17 yr old
Old 11-06-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshunter View Post
Hi there,

Appreciate some feedback for those insurance folks out there on the board.

This past year our 17 year old son was on our car insurance policy as a occasional driver (or whatever it's called). We had decided that at renewal time of the policy that we would remove him from the policy, as he won't be driving our vehicles going forward.

The insurance company is telling me that he cannot be taken off the policy because since he is still living under our roof that there is a risk that he may use a vehicle (even in an emergency situation (they tell me)) and that if he were to do that that he would not be covered if in an accident...

Is this true? Is there no way to remove him from my insurance policy while he is still living under my roof?

Thanks
Don't know how relevant this is in Alberta but worth a read:

https://www.4autoinsurancequote.com/...arents-policy/
Old 11-06-2019, 04:48 PM

That's what my insurance company does.

Also if you have the same number of cars as you do drivers, or more cars than drivers, then the new driver has to be named as a primary driver.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast70 View Post
I think he needs his own vehicle registered in his name to live under your roof on his own policy.
This^^^^

My son had to be on both our policies for the same reason. As soon as my son had his own ride, he was off our policy.
Old 11-06-2019, 05:14 PM

I was in insurance until recently developing training programs. One of the ones I did was brokers were to ask all clients how many children in the house and ages licensed or not. I questioned it and found some companies do like older kids either even under 16. Turns out the are worried your kids are going to take your vehicle for a joy ride and get in a wreck. And yes those licensed under your roof will cost you in most cases.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:22 PM

Also it is important for your kid to have continuous coverage once on a policy. If you cancel it now and he/she goes to get insurance later they will have to say that they have cancelled coverage before (within the last 2-5 years I think they ask) and the insurance company jacks their premiums, on top of the under 25 increase, since they assume you are more likely to cancel coverage.

Best thing to do is to keep them as an occasional driver.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:09 PM

I was shopping for insurance when I still lived with my brother. Some companies required all drivers on the policy, with my brother's driving record this made all of those rates sky rocket. I moved on until I found a company that did not require all drivers with the same address on the policy.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:53 PM
Gone Hunting

My policy specifies that occasional drivers are covered if I give them permission. And at no extra cost to me.

When my son lived at home he was allowed to drive my vehicle occasionally without being listed on the policy.
They asked me if he would be driving it and I said not likely, unless he shows he will act responsibly, that was enough for them. They still gave me coverage for occasional drivers.

I think each company would likely be different. I also know that some agents say things that are not true.

I would look into getting coverage somewhere else. The only problem with that is that some companies will insist that you are an unknown and put you in the highest price bracket.

When I had issues with Co-op insurance many years ago I switched to Intact. They asked to see my last receipt from my previous provider and they matched it. A year later the dropped it down a fair amount.

I have been very happy with Intact. We deal with them directly.
I have a claim with them now and today they called to tell me they would be covering me 100%, and they gave me a figure which is very close to what I had determined the value of my truck was. Plus they are waving the deductible, and paying the GST on my next truck and they offered a rental which we did not need.

I couldn't be more satisfied.

Oh yeah, and this policy covers occasional drivers.

George Bernard Shaw