Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-18-2011, 11:00 AM
steve steve is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: AB
Posts: 3,352
Default Zone 4 trapline for sale or junior partner wanted?

Anyone know if there's anything for sale in Zone 4 or someone wanting to take on a junior partner?

I have called the locals and done a fair amount of poking around without any luck.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-18-2011, 11:25 AM
turbo mulcher turbo mulcher is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: cow town alberta
Posts: 736
Default

Come down to zone 6
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-18-2011, 11:31 AM
steve steve is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: AB
Posts: 3,352
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo mulcher View Post
Come down to zone 6
Thanks for the offer, thats to far south for me. Even the southern part of 4 is getting to far south.

Why is there so few traplines for sale? I read that over 90% of crown land is registered traplines. But yet you put on a few thousand KM's on old snow in trapline country. And you see one or two sets off trapper tracks? A guy would think more would be for sale.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-18-2011, 04:51 PM
northerntrapper northerntrapper is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Slave Lake, Alberta
Posts: 368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Thanks for the offer, thats to far south for me. Even the southern part of 4 is getting to far south.

Why is there so few traplines for sale? I read that over 90% of crown land is registered traplines. But yet you put on a few thousand KM's on old snow in trapline country. And you see one or two sets off trapper tracks? A guy would think more would be for sale.
I do know that there is quite a number being held for whatever reason by the government that were taken back or given up by the trapline holder. As for myself, I don't do a lot until after hunting season is over, due to the heavy traffic over my trails if I open them, and then the interference of some 'hunters' with sets. That would explain why you don't see a lot of activity on some lines, and others are simply not trapped. Myself, I split up the trapline into thirds, so I only trap the same area every 3 years so as to allow fur rejuvenation. As for traplines for sale, I've seen a number of them listed in the back of the ATA magazine, and some on this forum. Just takes money.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-18-2011, 05:13 PM
steve steve is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: AB
Posts: 3,352
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerntrapper View Post
I do know that there is quite a number being held for whatever reason by the government that were taken back or given up by the trapline holder. As for myself, I don't do a lot until after hunting season is over, due to the heavy traffic over my trails if I open them, and then the interference of some 'hunters' with sets. That would explain why you don't see a lot of activity on some lines, and others are simply not trapped. Myself, I split up the trapline into thirds, so I only trap the same area every 3 years so as to allow fur rejuvenation. As for traplines for sale, I've seen a number of them listed in the back of the ATA magazine, and some on this forum. Just takes money.
I got a ata subscription on the way. I am talking after hunting season. Dec 1 to feb 29 I am pounding roads and not seeing much trapper activity. Thanks for the reply.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-18-2011, 06:23 PM
sourdough doug sourdough doug is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: northern AB
Posts: 1,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerntrapper View Post
I do know that there is quite a number being held for whatever reason by the government that were taken back or given up by the trapline holder. As for myself, I don't do a lot until after hunting season is over, due to the heavy traffic over my trails if I open them, and then the interference of some 'hunters' with sets. That would explain why you don't see a lot of activity on some lines, and others are simply not trapped. Myself, I split up the trapline into thirds, so I only trap the same area every 3 years so as to allow fur rejuvenation. As for traplines for sale, I've seen a number of them listed in the back of the ATA magazine, and some on this forum. Just takes money.
X 2, NT, Not in all cases where activity is not seen, does this mean, that nothing is happening. Eg., Just venture 30 yds. off a cutline and see how much more animal sign you will see, referrring here to moose and deer.

I have a resource road that runs along one side of my boundary and will not set along it becuz of people picking my traps. At the same time, I will trap up to that road, but from the backside and therefore no one will ever see my tracks and that is by design.. It certainly does not mean I have not been there.
I, too "summer fallow" portions of my line. The only evidence of my being, exists basically, from my cabin and radiating from there.. I leave as small a footprint as possible. I'm sure many don't do as I do but I do know that some do, for the same reasons as me and when posssible, more are doing it....
__________________
Beer is proof that God loves us
and wants us to be happy
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-19-2011, 11:12 PM
McLeod Valley McLeod Valley is offline
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: McLeod Valley
Posts: 436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
X 2, NT, Not in all cases where activity is not seen, does this mean, that nothing is happening. Eg., Just venture 30 yds. off a cutline and see how much more animal sign you will see, referrring here to moose and deer.

I have a resource road that runs along one side of my boundary and will not set along it becuz of people picking my traps. At the same time, I will trap up to that road, but from the backside and therefore no one will ever see my tracks and that is by design.. It certainly does not mean I have not been there.
I, too "summer fallow" portions of my line. The only evidence of my being, exists basically, from my cabin and radiating from there.. I leave as small a footprint as possible. I'm sure many don't do as I do but I do know that some do, for the same reasons as me and when posssible, more are doing it....
X2
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-19-2011, 11:15 PM
steve steve is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: AB
Posts: 3,352
Default

I see what you guys are saying.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-26-2011, 12:28 AM
steve steve is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: AB
Posts: 3,352
Default

Anything?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-23-2012, 03:42 PM
steve steve is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: AB
Posts: 3,352
Default

Willing to pay a finders fee for something that works out in zone 3 or 4. Junior Partner preferably.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-04-2012, 08:54 PM
steve steve is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: AB
Posts: 3,352
Default

Anyone know a guy, that they could put me in touch with?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-22-2012, 08:28 PM
steve steve is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: AB
Posts: 3,352
Default

BTT

Will show up with own gear. Can be easily tricked into splitting large amounts of wood.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-23-2012, 04:27 PM
BrownBear416's Avatar
BrownBear416 BrownBear416 is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Slave Lake
Posts: 5,640
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
BTT

Will show up with own gear. Can be easily tricked into splitting large amounts of wood.
lol
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-25-2012, 11:45 PM
steve steve is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: AB
Posts: 3,352
Default

Had something on the go but it fell through.

Also have jetboat, if a river is involved.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-31-2012, 12:17 PM
edmutv edmutv is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sundre
Posts: 191
Default

have you looked on kijjiji ? I did a quick google search and found this one. Not sure if its close to you or not.


Ad ID 383555258
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-25-2012, 11:41 PM
Davi54rOv Davi54rOv is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 12
Default

Junior Partner preferably.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.