Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-26-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
From Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/67/wr/mm6703a5.htm

On October 20, 2017, Zoster Vaccine Recombinant, Adjuvanted (Shingrix, GlaxoSmithKline, [GSK] Research Triangle Park, North Carolina), a 2-dose, subunit vaccine containing recombinant glycoprotein E in combination with a novel adjuvant (AS01B), was approved by the Food and Drug Administration for the prevention of herpes zoster in adults aged ≥50 years. The vaccine consists of 2 doses (0.5 mL each), administered intramuscularly, 2–6 months apart (1). On October 25, 2017, the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommended the recombinant zoster vaccine (RZV) for use in immunocompetent adults aged ≥50 years.

Summary of Findings
As a result of the GRADE process, key outcomes were designated as critical (prevention of herpes zoster and postherpetic neuralgia, serious adverse events following vaccination) or important (duration of protection, reactogenicity). All outcomes were considered for both RZV and ZVL compared with no vaccination. There were no clinical studies that compared the vaccines directly with one another (head-to-head). Supporting evidence for the Work Group’s findings is available online (https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/re...es-zoster.html) (22).

Recombinant Zoster Vaccine (RZV). Efficacy of RZV was evaluated in a two-part, phase III multicenter clinical trial which enrolled >30,000 participants, who were randomized 1:1 to receive vaccine or saline placebo (14,15). The median follow-up time was 3.2 years for Zoster Efficacy Study in Adults 50 Years of Age or Older (ZOE-50) (14), and 3.7 years for Zoster Efficacy Study in Adults 70 Years of Age or Older (ZOE-70) (15). The efficacy for the prevention of herpes zoster was 96.6% (95% confidence interval [CI] = 89.6–99.3) in persons aged 50–59 years and 97.4% (95% CI = 90.1–99.7) in persons aged 60–69 years (14). Using pooled data from both study arms, vaccine efficacy was 91.3% (95% CI = 86.8–94.5) in participants aged ≥70 years (15). Vaccine efficacy in the first year after vaccination was 97.6% (95% CI = 90.9–99.8) and was 84.7% (95% CI = 69.0–93.4) or higher for the remaining 3 years of the study in persons aged ≥70 years. Efficacy for prevention of postherpetic neuralgia was 91.2% (95% CI = 75.9–97.7) in adults aged ≥50 years and 88.8% (95% CI = 68.7–97.1) in those aged ≥70 years (15).

Serious adverse events (an undesirable experience associated with the vaccine that results in death, hospitalization, disability or requires medical or surgical intervention to prevent a serious outcome) were examined in eight studies sponsored by GSK, which included 29,965 subjects (15,264 RZV recipients) (22). Overall, rates of serious adverse events over the study periods were similar in the RZV and placebo groups.

Injection-site and systemic grade 3 solicited adverse events (reactions related to vaccination which were severe enough to prevent normal activities) were actively surveyed in eight studies involving 10,590 subjects (22). Among the subset of subjects completing the 7-day diary card for reactogenicity in phase III clinical trials (9,936), 16.5% of vaccine recipients reported any grade 3 adverse event compared with 3.1% of placebo recipients (14,15). Grade 3 injection-site reactions (pain, redness, and swelling) were reported by 9.4% of vaccine recipients, compared with 0.3% of placebo recipients and grade 3 solicited systemic events (myalgia, fatigue, headache, shivering, fever, and gastrointestinal symptoms) were reported by 10.8% of vaccine recipients and 2.4% of placebo recipients (14,15). Whereas there were no differences in the proportions of local grade 3 reactions between dose 1 and dose 2, systemic grade 3 reactions were reported more frequently after dose 2 (1). Overall, the most common solicited adverse reactions (grade 1–3) were pain (78%), myalgia (45%), and fatigue (45%) (1).
I will be signing up for the shot soon.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-01-2019, 05:51 PM

Wife and I got our flu shots today and talked to the Pharmacist about the shingles vaccine.
He checked our insurance coverage and since we were mostly covered we went ahead.
Normally about $160 per person we paid about $40 for the two of us. First of 2 shots.

He said it's a no brainer if you have coverage because he has seen such a huge leap in cases in Calgary in the last year
Old 11-01-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Wife and I got our flu shots today and talked to the Pharmacist about the shingles vaccine.
He checked our insurance coverage and since we were mostly covered we went ahead.
Normally about $160 per person we paid about $40 for the two of us. First of 2 shots.

He said it's a no brainer if you have coverage because he has seen such a huge leap in cases in Calgary in the last year
I believe you made the right decision, the Mrs. volunteers at Bethany a seniors care facility here in Sylvan and has seen some very bad cases of residents suffering with severe Shingles .... we both got our shots in July 2018 and plan to go back for a do over in 2023, this is something I never want to experience.

D.

Old 11-02-2019, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
I believe you made the right decision, the Mrs. volunteers at Bethany a seniors care facility here in Sylvan and has seen some very bad cases of residents suffering with severe Shingles .... we both got our shots in July 2018 and plan to go back for a do over in 2023, this is something I never want to experience.

D.
Some extended family in Fort Mac sent a pic of his Mom to us last week. She has a brutal case on her face and around her eyes and is supposed to leave for a vacation abroad next week.
So she was in our mind when we got the flu shot today-we asked about costs and found out we had coverage.

If not for that pic-we probably would just let it slide.
Seems like high stress in Alberta is increasing the prevalence

Last edited by omega50; 11-02-2019 at 01:11 AM.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:19 AM

Very interesting reading, you have me worried now.
Lots of people in my family have had battles with Shingles. My sister had it multiple times in her 30’s my mother had it in her 60’s and both my grandmothers had it as well.

Is this something you have to wait until you are older to be vaccinated for?

I’m not quite 40
Old 11-02-2019, 06:21 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
As soon I am of age I will be getting it.

Those I know that had shingles said it was excruciating pain and could never get comfortable.
Exactly....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-02-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Searched the forum .... no hits on this Vaccine.

Were about to depart to Calif for 3.5 months & getting stuff organized. The Mrs knows a few people our age who recently got a very severe case of Shingles and is thinkin about going to the Doc to get info and/or the vaccine.

I most likely will do the same, wondering if anyone here can share some info/experience. We have extended medical, however, the last thing we need is to get Shingles in the USA & cut our time short to return home.

Found this on the Internet .... The shingles vaccine (Zostavax) is recommended for adults age 60 and older, whether they've already had shingles or not. Although the vaccine is approved for people age 50 and older, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention isn't recommending it until you reach age 60. Although some people will develop shingles despite vaccination, the vaccine may reduce the severity and duration of it.

Any input would be appreciated, as well I imagine it's not covered under Prov Health Care, did your plan cover it or what was the cost, Internet says about $200.00 ?

Tks

D.
My wife and received the first one (Zostavax) a number of years ago due to her dad having a bad case. We were ok and then this new vaccine comes out called Shingrix and it’s supposed to have significantly more protection. So we paid about $300 each and got it. It takes a booster 6 weeks later and you should be good for life. tog
Old 11-02-2019, 07:45 AM

I look at it like the old Fram Oil Filter ads-You can pay me now or you can pay me later.

Get a pretty good level of protection now or roll the dice and rush against the clock to get anti-virals after you have the rash and are getting extreme nerve pain if you should ever get them.

Some info from My Health Alberta

What is it?

Shingles is a painful, blistering rash caused by the same virus as chickenpox.
If you had chickenpox in the past, the virus stays in the nerve cells in your body. The virus can stay there for many years and not cause a problem. But sometimes, especially as you get older, it can become active again and cause shingles.
Most people develop shingles in one part of the body. It can last for several weeks.
The nerve pain from shingles (called post-herpetic neuralgia) can be severe and last for months or years. The pain can prevent you from being able to do daily activities such as walking, sleeping, or visiting with friends and family.
People with shingles may develop other problems including scarring in the area of the rash, skin infections, weakness, loss of hearing or vision, or having trouble moving your muscles (called paralysis).
Some people with shingles may need to be in the hospital if they are very unwell. In rare cases, shingles can cause death.
Who is at risk for shingles?

You are at risk for shingles if you had chickenpox disease in the past. It is also possible to get shingles after chickenpox vaccine, but the risk is very low. The risk is greater as you get older especially if you are over 50 years of age. For most people, the risk of getting shingles is as hi​gh as 30%. People over the age of 85 years have almost a 50% risk of getting shingles.

Last edited by omega50; 11-02-2019 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Meredith View Post
I got shingles about 10 years ago (if you had chickenpox as a kid, you could get shingles). Fortunately, it was a mild case--only had a rash of running sores in my hair. There was some pain but not as bad as reported by others. Thinking that getting it once would mean I wouldn't get it later, I didn't take the vaccine. Finally, my wife showed me some articles where that's not the case, you can get it again. So, I got the vaccine about three years ago. It was $200 then and our health plan didn't cover it. My doc tells me I should probably have it again, in a couple of years, as the immunity may not last that long. So, I will get the new one for sure.
Just an update. I did get the Shingrix vaccine and unfortunately I was one of the 10% that has a bad reaction to the vaccine. Nothing serious. The day after the first shot I had a headache and felt achy all over, like having the flu. Only lasted a day. When I appeared for my 2nd shot I told the nurse and she said I have a 50/50 chance the same will happen with the 2nd shot. And sure enough, I had a headache and general body aches for the day after. But it was much milder. Again, only lasted a day. Shingles lasts more than a day (in some cases, way longer) so the shots were still worth it. As well, you have a 90% chance there will be no or little reaction.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:48 PM

I love Google Ads. Searching the last few days about Shingles and the vaccine.
Today my search engine flooded with sales on Shingles from Home Depot
Old 11-02-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
And those shingles are the worse. Oh my 😳

Dodger
Old 11-03-2019, 06:27 PM

My Doc said you do not want this

So I go the shots last year.
Here in BC it was 2 separate shots, and 6 months apart.
And paid around $200
Old 11-04-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Searched the forum .... no hits on this Vaccine.

Were about to depart to Calif for 3.5 months & getting stuff organized. The Mrs knows a few people our age who recently got a very severe case of Shingles and is thinkin about going to the Doc to get info and/or the vaccine.

I most likely will do the same, wondering if anyone here can share some info/experience. We have extended medical, however, the last thing we need is to get Shingles in the USA & cut our time short to return home.

Found this on the Internet .... The shingles vaccine (Zostavax) is recommended for adults age 60 and older, whether they've already had shingles or not. Although the vaccine is approved for people age 50 and older, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention isn't recommending it until you reach age 60. Although some people will develop shingles despite vaccination, the vaccine may reduce the severity and duration of it.

Any input would be appreciated, as well I imagine it's not covered under Prov Health Care, did your plan cover it or what was the cost, Internet says about $200.00 ?

Tks

D.
Yes. You don’t want shingles. Nasty, nasty.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-04-2019, 08:24 AM

Wink But wait! There's more!

Quote:
Don't think too loud.
OT- shingles are nasty, getting the vaccine is on our list of things to do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ads in the future.jpg (36.9 KB, 49 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 11-08-2019, 11:49 AM

I had shingles a year and half ago, Really mild case but it wasn’t pretty I can tell you! Doctor recommended the vaccine. Had the first shot in July, it was a ok, just a light headache and a sore arm reaction. Had the second booster shot on Wednesday. That second shot hit me like a brick! Almost passed out at night going to the bathroom, shivering like a dog all day and the arm is in so much pain! It’s like having a hard case of flu. Even today, 2 days after, I’m still weak and not a 100% yet.
But it’s a short time pain for a long time gain.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:44 AM

Got the first Shingrix shot yesterday. About $175...insurance covered all but about $37.

Day after. Arm is a little sore. Not bad. Nothing else stands out for after effects.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:22 PM

My hematologist at the cross recommended that I get it a couple years ago, got them both and never really had any reaction to either shot, the only reaction was that wow I have to dig in my pocket for the full shot I think about $330 then, in 3 weeks I get the 2nd part of my pneumonia shot the #23, have to dig in my pocket for that also another $320 but such is life, at least my flu shot was free

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:56 PM

If anyone is on the fence, get the shot. I got shingles when I was 23, to date still the worst thing I've ever experienced. Went in thinking I had a staph infection, next day half my face was covered. Doc told me if I was 50+ they'd have kept me in hospital for a week. The shot is expensive but pretty easy to justify when you factor in the lost income and suffering. Still have no feeling in my left eyebrow.
Old 12-09-2020, 01:39 PM

100% get the shot if you can!

I am just getting over a case of this. Started off on the back of my head as a weird lump. Doctor thought it was just a minor cut that was irritated. Week and a half later it's all over the left side of my head and I had severe nerve pain going from the top of my head all the way down my shoulders and back. Hurt like a

Went back and got on the medication just in time for it to work, otherwise the doctor said it would be a few more weeks of it. She told me that shingles is a 10/10 on the pain scale.
Old 12-09-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
My hematologist at the cross recommended that I get it a couple years ago, got them both and never really had any reaction to either shot, the only reaction was that wow I have to dig in my pocket for the full shot I think about $330 then, in 3 weeks I get the 2nd part of my pneumonia shot the #23, have to dig in my pocket for that also another $320 but such is life, at least my flu shot was free
I just looked into the shingles vaccination today after a relative got shingles. It is two injections at $180 per injection here. The pharmacist told me that about 50% of the people have flu like side effects for a day or two. I never get flu shots, but I am scheduled for the Shingles vaccine.
Old 12-09-2020, 02:40 PM

Glad to be reading this . Hit the big 50 last week and with the history my dad had I will be getting this.
He had shingles in abs and back area for SEVEN years!!!! Yes seven. When you contract it in your 70's and have a few health issues combined I have no doubt it put him in his resting place. He was hospitalized with phenominoa a week prior but the shingles did him in.
Old 12-09-2020, 03:26 PM

Pleased to see my old thread still has leg's also surprised to see how many long time members who responded are now banned.

We got our shots in July 2018 and plan to go back for a do over in 2023.

Shingles is something I never want to experience. Now I qualify for the phenomena shot, need to see what the Doc suggests.

D.

Old 12-09-2020, 07:42 PM

We got out shots last year. Had the headaches but glad I did it. My uncle had that crap and wow. Not good
Old 12-09-2020, 11:53 PM

Hit once by shingles. Hopefully never again. Gotta get the shot...
Old 12-11-2020, 09:42 AM

Never really heard of it until the girl friend suggested it. Looked into it and work benefits covered it to boot! Got the first shot with no side effects but, the booster shot kicked my butt. Fever and pain like the flu for a couple of days. Still better then actually getting shingles though.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hardin View Post
Ah! The dueling doctors.

We were told that the pneumonia shot was a one time only shot and a sticker was put on our health care card showing that we had it. We were also told that it was only good for after surgery/hospital treatment. In other words, it doesn't necessarily work to prevent pneumonia under other circumstances. How it can tell the difference, I don't know but, who am I to question medical authorities when my medical training was no more than a St John's standard First Aid certificate that I earned 35 years ago.

Cheers!
I got that shot in July 2019 - the 'Pneumo Max 23', - and got the sticker on my health card too. I checked with our Public Health Nurse just yesterday, and was told that I need to wait 5 years for the booster, so she'll see me again after July 2024 for the 2nd shot.

After watching a family member suffer terribly from Shingles, my wife and I got our Shingles vaccine about 5 years ago, and were recently told by a nurse that the 'new' vaccine is now available, and we should consider getting it. The 'old' vaccine was supposed to be effective for 10 years, so we'll wait until it 'expires' in 5 years, before getting the new one. Who knows, - by then there might be an even newer one developed with a 100% guarantee!
Old 12-11-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
I got that shot in July 2019 - the 'Pneumo Max 23', - and got the sticker on my health card too. I checked with our Public Health Nurse just yesterday, and was told that I need to wait 5 years for the booster, so she'll see me again after July 2024 for the 2nd shot.

After watching a family member suffer terribly from Shingles, my wife and I got our Shingles vaccine about 5 years ago, and were recently told by a nurse that the 'new' vaccine is now available, and we should consider getting it. The 'old' vaccine was supposed to be effective for 10 years, so we'll wait until it 'expires' in 5 years, before getting the new one. Who knows, - by then there might be an even newer one developed with a 100% guarantee!
Yup, one shot and got the sticker on my Health Care card for the pneumonia. Had the old Shingles vaccine and still got shingles, but it was mild and gone in a couple of weeks. Getting the new vaccine when the doc Ok's it.
Old 12-11-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
Yup, one shot and got the sticker on my Health Care card for the pneumonia. Had the old Shingles vaccine and still got shingles, but it was mild and gone in a couple of weeks. Getting the new vaccine when the doc Ok's it.
Wife and I also had the vaccine a year ago, hope we are all good for ever after
Old 02-11-2021, 02:43 PM

Got my second shot today.

First one I had an ache around my injection site for 3 days. Will see how this one goes.
Old 02-11-2021, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Got my second shot today.

First one I had an ache around my injection site for 3 days. Will see how this one goes.
Good luck with the second one man, I really feel for ya.... the second hit us both(wife and me) like a freight train.... were down for two days...