Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-15-2019, 08:58 AM

Default Teaching New Hunters

I have been fortunate enough to be able to assist several new hunters , and the priority has always been safety first. I was watching an episode of Homegrown Hunters where they were at a shooting preserve hunting chukar and quail, with new hunters, and I was surprised to see a hunter following a bird with their shotgun, when another hunter appeared into view. Just as I thought the person would realize that the other hunter was right under where their gun was pointed, they fired. The fact that their aired this footage on their show indicates to me, that they didn't even recognize what had happened, so the shooter likely didn't even learn from their mistake. So please, until a new hunter proves that they are trustworthy with a firearm, keep them under very close watch, so this type of situation can be prevented from occurring.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:44 AM

So true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2019, 11:11 AM

Excellent point. Actually the number of unsafe practices you see on so many of the hunting shows is really quite disturbing. I am somewhat amazed there aren't more video of accidents given how many times high risk behaviours manage to make it onto the screen.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:49 PM

The pheasant shows are the worst imo. Why anybody would want to be on point between the dog and shooters is beyond me. Kind of makes me think an orange vest isn't going to help a bunch when a rooster explodes underfoot and guys get trigger happy.

I've never hunted raised birds at one of the release sites but wonder if it might be similar.