Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-14-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Elk and I watched a buddy blast a moose in the ass with one last year (and other places). I will let Elk describe
What was it’s reaction to a shot in the wrong end? Did it go down, stand there or run?
Old 07-14-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver lab View Post
What was it’s reaction to a shot in the wrong end? Did it go down, stand there or run?
Amazingly it kept going for about 75 yards, but as you know animals can go a ways on three legs. Not the only shot in it either. Gutshot too iirc.

Now, let me say that my own experience has been very quick kills, but I put them in the boiler room.

I also watched Bobby B (a former member) shoot a 6 point bull elk with a 130 gr vld out of a 260 Rem. Dropped him with one shot. Skidded into the snow and was stone cold dead. Never seen lungs turned to jello like that before.

He has an African Plains Game trophy room that was absolutely stunning. All taken with 168 grain VLDs out of a 7 Rem.

They are one of any number of bullets that work. Wouldn't be my choice for Africa, but it's hard to argue with success.

Last edited by sns2; 07-14-2019 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Amazingly it kept going for about 75 yards, but as you know animals can go a ways on three legs. Not the only shot in it either. Gutshot too iirc.

Now, let me say that my own experience has been very quick kills, but I put them in the boiler room.

I also watched Bobby B (a former member) shoot a 6 point bull elk with a 130 gr vld out of a 260 Rem. Dropped him with one shot. Skidded into the snow and was stone cold dead. Never seen lungs turned to jello like that before.

He has an African Plains Game trophy room that was absolutely stunning. All taken with 168 grain VLDs out of a 7 Rem.

They are one of any number of bullets that work when. Wouldn't be my choice for Africa, but it's hard to argue with success.

The reason I ask is they are all I shoot these days, my moose was shot at 60 yards quartering to, broke the shoulder and ran 25 yards before dying with a 130gr Berger from a 270 win. It’s the furthest I have ever seen a animal run after 20+ animals shot with various caliber/weight Berger bullets. If their was a time a Berger bullet was going to fail that was it.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:40 PM

Thanks for all the good replies generated by my question. And no trolls!
Looks like the 140gr Accubonds will be chosen.