Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-16-2018, 09:16 AM

I echo the earlier comment, stock it several times. If there are certain popular ponds/lakes that have great access for all, why not. My advice is to send an email or message to have this particular lake looked at for more than one stocking.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:07 PM

Fished the lower lake last week and had a great time I got a 26" rainbow, my buddy got one about 28". I also got 4 nice cutthroat. If I can get the pics off my phone I will try and post. They have finished their spawn and will need a little time to get back on the bite again. Seen schools of 10-15 cutty's swimming around after spawn but they were not interested at that time.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:37 PM

Sent an e-mail to AEP and got a reply. As mentioned (not by me) previously on this thread, it was the Sam Livingston hatchery being unoperational that they were stocking as low as 30% of what they usually do. They will be up and stocking as normal soon is what they said.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icefever View Post
Fished the lower lake last week and had a great time I got a 26" rainbow, my buddy got one about 28". I also got 4 nice cutthroat. If I can get the pics off my phone I will try and post. They have finished their spawn and will need a little time to get back on the bite again. Seen schools of 10-15 cutty's swimming around after spawn but they were not interested at that time.
That’s encouraging. Did you fish from shore?
Old 07-19-2018, 04:20 PM

Used my pontoon boat to go out
Old 07-21-2018, 01:36 PM

Default Kananaskis lakes need restocking

I would say the same thing fishing was poor, the last time I was out was for 3 days about a week ago. Caught a couple cutties and a rainbow. Not worth the trip for me anymore. All caught from the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2019, 09:32 AM

Anyone been out to K-Country? How's the ice out that way? Any fishing reports? Thanks in advance!
Old 01-03-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
Anyone been out to K-Country? How's the ice out that way? Any fishing reports? Thanks in advance!
Good foot of ice, slow fishing some days but great the next. Be looking for water in the 70 foot range, remember there is a bait ban on the lake.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishing4Trophies View Post
Good foot of ice, slow fishing some days but great the next. Be looking for water in the 70 foot range, remember there is a bait ban on the lake.
I was watching a vid that one of the Konrad twins did at Kananaskis, and he had a dead-stick in a jaw-jacker set up for Cutties.....but I'm confused......what does a guy put on a dead stick, if no bait..?
Old 01-03-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
I was watching a vid that one of the Konrad twins did at Kananaskis, and he had a dead-stick in a jaw-jacker set up for Cutties.....but I'm confused......what does a guy put on a dead stick, if no bait..?
Wire worms would work deadsticked, I've caught rainbows with a wire worm dangling from a jaw jacker. They didn't even inspect it, just hit it with reckless abandon
Old 01-03-2019, 04:47 PM

Very interesting! Thanks for the info...that makes sense! I'm really excited to learn all about fishing K-Country...
Old 01-03-2019, 06:54 PM

If you think outside the box a little and tie on a nymph, chronomid or balanced leech pattern under a jaw jacker you may be surprised how effective they can be on all trout species.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ppb View Post
If you think outside the box a little and tie on a nymph, chronomid or balanced leech pattern under a jaw jacker you may be surprised how effective they can be on all trout species.
Really interesting... So just have a set up like: mainline to weight, line from weight to swivel, line from swivel to fly...?
Old 01-03-2019, 09:29 PM

My set up usually goes main line to swivel, leader to first fly(usually a nymph pattern) tied so it sits horizontal in the water then leader to balanced leach pattern or chronomid pattern. For added weight I use some split shot up above the swivel.
This setup has worked well for me on many different trout lakes. You’d be surprised how big trout will easily take a size 16 nymph or chronomid pattern just because it’s there.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:59 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMF8wStnF6c

Brand new today from the one of the Konrad twins. Not sure if Upper or Lower, but they had a decent day, anyhow.

I'm heading out next weekend to give 'er a run...trying to learn as much as I can before I go.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:23 AM

C/O's were out on Sunday. I wasn't there but buddy said he got a warning for dog off leash on the ice. When they moved to try a new spot apparently they let the dog off the leash again. Officer came back and fined him $115 haha