Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-26-2011, 11:37 AM

Default Kids Camps

Can anyone on this forum recommend a kids camp (8-13yr) that doesn't require a bible?
Old 02-26-2011, 11:43 AM

My kids go to a camp at Sylvan lake every summer. It is part of the United Church group, but there is no bible stuff....lol They LOVE it there, and they have had friends that have also gone with them and they come home and talk about it till they get to go the next year. You certainly don't have to be part of that or any other church....

Camp Kasota West...
Old 02-26-2011, 09:04 PM

Default Narrow Lake Conservation Camp

Search this Title. Join a Fish and Game club and get the young sandwich grabbers in for Free. Then volunteer your expertise to help train them. AHEIA also has an Outdoor Youth Club that does a camp or two in the summer. Check back on some previous posts by me!
Old 02-26-2011, 09:08 PM

Camp Alexo is out by Nordegg and is run by the Youth and Volunteer center in Red Deer.
I used to volunteer with it and think it is a real good/well run outfit
PM if you need more info or contacts
Old 02-26-2011, 09:58 PM

Check out the AHEIA site. There are some camps there for kids that age. There is also a camp near Athabasca owned by Fish and Game for Zone 5 and I think 6 that does a couple of camps there.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:52 PM

Default Narrow Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlej View Post
Check out the AHEIA site. There are some camps there for kids that age. There is also a camp near Athabasca owned by Fish and Game for Zone 5 and I think 6 that does a couple of camps there.
This is the Narrow Lake Conservation Centre that I mentioned. It is run by volunteers from Zone 4 and Zone 5 of the Alberta Fish and Game association. It is also home to the BOW (Become and Outdoor Women) Contact your local Fish and Game Club for more info on these excellent camps. Kids camp (12 to 15) July 3 to 9, BOW camp July 13 to 16, 2nd Kids camp July 17 to 23
Old 02-27-2011, 10:04 AM
Gone Hunting

As mentioned many Fish & Game clubs (Zone 3 does a camp as well) do youth camps. Often they end up getting their "Hunter Training" certificate as well so they are ready to get the hunting WIN.

I don't know if any teach the Canadian Firearms Safety course as well. That would be great because then they could get their "Youth PAL" and later their PAL.

Circle Square Ranch camp is a great one. My son went there several years and eventually became a camp counsellor for them. He learned a lot about horsemanship there and when in Australia he got a job on a cattle station as a result.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 02-27-2011, 10:10 AM

army cadets is good for the kids
Old 02-27-2011, 10:36 AM

When I was a kid I went to Camp Chief Hector twice, and aside from a song or two and perhaps grace before meals there was no religious content whatsoever. Keep in mind this was 29 years ago, so my information isn't really that fresh. It is a YMCA camp, but in reading their home page it does note all religions are welcome. I had a great time there as a 9 and 12 year old. It's certainly worthwhile and I remember lots of it fondly. The site itself is an awesome location and we slept in teepee's with bunk beds.

http://www.ymcacalgary.org/web/Defau...id=2952&lang=1
Old 03-01-2011, 12:49 PM

Default kids camp

my daughter went to the Goldeye Center near Nordegg. the camp is listed as ACCA . sponserships can be attend from co-op sponsers for this camp she had fun.... but her is her point of view.... she is home from school today cause she is sick and there is nothing there to do with relegion except for grace in the morning. She had a lot of fun and cant wait to go again this year (she really doesn't enjoy camps with alot or a fair amount of religion) It is a leadership camp so they do learn alot of new skills there.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:08 PM

http://protrain.hs.llnwd.net/e1/site...er%20Color.pdf

http://protrain.hs.llnwd.net/e1/site...er%20Color.pdf

#1 and I went to the seminar last year. We met some very nice people and had some long overdue fun time. The camp was very clean,organized and well run. The instructors were very good and the most important review was from the boy. Loved it and can't wait for this year!

Thanks to the folks at AHEIA for putting it on, I'm not affiliated but sure appreciative
Old 03-01-2011, 06:30 PM

Thumbs up

Junior forest wardens has great kids camps!! The price is very reasonable and you also get to be involved with your children!!
Old 03-01-2011, 09:05 PM

this year they, alberta juinor forest wardens are having a NATIONAL CAMP in Hinton from july 10-17. this is a family event.
the local regions also put on some great week end events for the kids as well
Old 03-01-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Circle Square Ranch camp is a great one. My son went there several years and eventually became a camp counsellor for them. He learned a lot about horsemanship there and when in Australia he got a job on a cattle station as a result.
Although Christian based, I'd have no hesitation recommending this group. My oldest daughter worked in the BC and Sask units and made many close friends. Satisfied her love of horses.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:16 PM

The Alberta Fish & Game Assocation offers some pretty good camps for kids.
You should check out the Narrow Lake camp. They offer some pretty neat camps there throughout the year.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner