Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-29-2019, 11:46 AM
Banned

Default Half Moon Lake Launch

I want to take my 7yr old and his friend out fishing for the day and I thought half moon lake for some little Perch would be a good option for these boys. I’ve never been there in the summer, just wondering if the launch in the campground is open to the public? Are there any other launches? Is the lake too busy in the summer to bother?
Old 06-30-2019, 09:56 AM

The campground launch is open to the public, I think it’s $15 or $20 to launch. I’m not aware of any other launches, the lake is pretty tiny.

The lake itself is more of a slough though. The whole west end of the lake is overgrown with weeds and pretty much unfishable. There is also a remarkable number of big ski/wake boats on that little lake. Mostly from the cottages along the shore. It’s not the most enjoyable fishing when guys are ripping up and down the lake pulling skiers all day.

I went out once last year and won’t go back in the summer. I’ve ice fished it several times and usually catch 40+ perch, no keepers though. Just little 3-4” guys.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etownpaul View Post
The campground launch is open to the public, I think it’s $15 or $20 to launch. I’m not aware of any other launches, the lake is pretty tiny.

The lake itself is more of a slough though. The whole west end of the lake is overgrown with weeds and pretty much unfishable. There is also a remarkable number of big ski/wake boats on that little lake. Mostly from the cottages along the shore. It’s not the most enjoyable fishing when guys are ripping up and down the lake pulling skiers all day.

I went out once last year and won’t go back in the summer. I’ve ice fished it several times and usually catch 40+ perch, no keepers though. Just little 3-4” guys.
That’s pretty much what I figured. I fished it in the winter and caught lots of little perch, I’ve driven by in the summer and seen lots of ski/wake boats. I don’t think it would be a good place for kids to fish in the summer.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:39 PM

instead go to Pigeon or Wabamun, set up on a drop or somewhere near reeds in about 12 feet of water and drop a 1/4 or 3/8 once jig to bottom with a minnow or half a minnow on it, u should catch lots of small walleye to keep the kids happy all day, set up so when the kids are holding the rod still the jig is just about 6 inches off bottom
Old 07-01-2019, 11:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebossy View Post
instead go to Pigeon or Wabamun, set up on a drop or somewhere near reeds in about 12 feet of water and drop a 1/4 or 3/8 once jig to bottom with a minnow or half a minnow on it, u should catch lots of small walleye to keep the kids happy all day, set up so when the kids are holding the rod still the jig is just about 6 inches off bottom
We went to Lac La Nonne instead, non stop action, mostly hammer handle pike but pulled out a few 4-5lb walleye as well. It’s been about 25yrs since I was out on that lake, sure is busy these days, but the fishing is still good.