Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-14-2015, 11:21 PM

Default White saskatoons?

Has anyone ever came across white saskatoon berries? I have found a handful of plants that are producing a white berry with a pinkish tip and just wondering how common it is and what might have caused it. I have never seen it before the last few years (same plants) and the berries seem to taste even better than the the normal purple ones, a bit sweeter and juicier.

And before anyone says I am mistaking them for something else they are mixed in with normal saskatoons and there is no mistaking the leaves and taste.

Also if anyone knows how to propogate saskatoon bushes to make a clone let me know.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:29 AM
Gone Hunting

Quiet the coincident that you would ask this question today.

Here is the results of my days work.

I'm not an expert so what I say may be disputed but as far as I know they are rare. A rough guess would be maybe one in 10,000.

In other words one in 10,000 Saskatoon bushes may produce white berries. But that's a best guess.
Around the old family homestead we know of about ten bushes that produce white Saskatoons.

They appear to be a genetic anomaly, like an albino bird or animal.

They are not as flavorful as the Purple verity and they bruise very easily.

It does not appear to me that the berries from a white producing bush would produce more white berry bushes. So I don't think wild seed would be useful for propagation.

Transplanting is an option and I would think that grafting should work.
Saskatoons will sucker so that might be an option but that's the best I can offer.

One last thing to consider. Saskatoon seeds must be scarified for them to grow. Apparently mild acid will do the job and I would think that tumbling the seed in sand ought to work also but I've never tried either.

I do know that birds and bears are the main vector for spreading the seeds.
It's why Saskatoon patches do not normaly expand or expand very slowly.

Birds and bears carry the seed for a distance before dropping them. The seeds in berries that do not get eaten will drop to the ground but do not germinate.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-15-2015, 06:59 AM

This intrigued me. I tried looking up in my botany and organic chem text books but no info was found specifically on white saskatoons. However, my best guess is that the berries are simply not yet ripe. When the berries are ripe the pigments responsible for their color, anthocyanidins, are at high levels. Before those levels occur the colorless proanthocyanidins are present. As those levels decrease and anthocyanidins increase the berry goes from lack of color to the distinct ripening stages of pink to purple to deep purple. So I believe the ripening stages are simply slowed down for whatever reason. That is just my best guess.

Leave them to ripen and see what happens. I guess it could also be due to a mutation in the gene responsible for the anthocyanidin pigment production...so no anthocyanidins/color at all.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:35 AM

Default Saskatoons

They don't look underripe to me, they look white. Perhaps contact the Saskatoon berry farm south of calgary and ask them if they know anything...I wouldn't give them away to them by the way. The white cauliflower we enjoy so much started with one lone plant amidst a sea of green cauliflower by the way.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
They don't look underripe to me, they look white. Perhaps contact the Saskatoon berry farm south of calgary and ask them if they know anything...I wouldn't give them away to them by the way. The white cauliflower we enjoy so much started with one lone plant amidst a sea of green cauliflower by the way.
They had a wanted ad a year or two back looking for these very bushes. I would contact them for sure. Those are very neat! If you want to propagate clones look online, there will be step by step directions. I have gone through this process many times working on my own little orchard.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:10 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrocyte View Post
This intrigued me. I tried looking up in my botany and organic chem text books but no info was found specifically on white saskatoons. However, my best guess is that the berries are simply not yet ripe. When the berries are ripe the pigments responsible for their color, anthocyanidins, are at high levels. Before those levels occur the colorless proanthocyanidins are present. As those levels decrease and anthocyanidins increase the berry goes from lack of color to the distinct ripening stages of pink to purple to deep purple. So I believe the ripening stages are simply slowed down for whatever reason. That is just my best guess.

Leave them to ripen and see what happens. I guess it could also be due to a mutation in the gene responsible for the anthocyanidin pigment production...so no anthocyanidins/color at all.
LOL Assumptions.

You assume wrong. They are ripe.

If you were to stand beside that bush, you would agree, if you even know what a ripe berry looks like.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-15-2015, 10:34 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCutthroat View Post
They had a wanted ad a year or two back looking for these very bushes. I would contact them for sure. Those are very neat! If you want to propagate clones look online, there will be step by step directions. I have gone through this process many times working on my own little orchard.
We talked to them. They offered us $30.00 for a pail of them, if we picked them and shipped the berries to them.

I believe that cloning would be the only way to propagate these and get large numbers of bushes.

We successfully transplanted a couple. We know that works. But transplanting has very limited potential because the number of white producing bushes is so low.

The white producing bushes I know of are as I said. maybe 1 in 10,000.
They are growing in an area well known for good berry production. There are extensive Saskatoon patches throughout the area yet only a handful produce the white berries.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-15-2015, 12:05 PM
Banned

I have picked my whole life from plants all over the peace country.... My mind is blown! I must track down a white Saskatoon! I've probably drove past a bush assuming they weren't ripe or something...
Old 07-15-2015, 12:14 PM

Default Saskatoons

http://www.prairie-elements.ca/saska...ropagation.pdf

Some interesting info here, apparently the seeds might Minot produce the same berries because they might be a combination from two plants...makes sense. Cuttings sound like a good idea, selling a pail to the Saskatoon farm for 30 Bucks isn't a good idea . Maybe 3000 bucks
Old 07-15-2015, 04:16 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
selling a pail to the Saskatoon farm for 30 Bucks isn't a good idea . Maybe 3000 bucks

That's the way we saw it. $30.00 a cup might make some sense. That should cover ones costs. But I doubt there would be any profit in it.

One cup is doable. But I've never seen a place where one could gather a pail full.

No doubt a person could explore other areas and perhaps discover enough bushes to be able to fill a bucket but the picking would involve considerable travel and as such, cost.

Our thought was it would cost us a lot more then $30.00 to fill a pail with white Saskatoons.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-15-2015, 06:05 PM

Hey Keg, thanks for taking the pics to show us.

These berries might be more rare than you think. Years ago, an old neighbour of mine told me he used to pick them all the time along certain fence lines. Now I can't even find any dark ones. Mystery was solved....farmers' crop spraying wiped them all out!!! Wonderful.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:14 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterupnorth View Post
Hey Keg, thanks for taking the pics to show us.

These berries might be more rare than you think. Years ago, an old neighbour of mine told me he used to pick them all the time along certain fence lines. Now I can't even find any dark ones. Mystery was solved....farmers' crop spraying wiped them all out!!! Wonderful.
Yup. we've noticed the same happening to our berry patches.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-15-2015, 11:27 PM

Thank you all for your insight into my mystery. Keg. I would think 1 in 10000 would be an underestimate, thanks for your insight into everything. My wife was talking to her dad today and he wouldn't believe that a white saskatoon was real.

I am going to look more into propagating more clones when I have a chance. I am super busy with the bees right now so I think I will just tie a ribbon on the the few trees making white berries until I can research more. Anyone know when the best time to transplant saskatoons is?

Also the white ones may have less of a flavor to them but I think they are sweeter and juicier.

Edit. Thanks Keg for putting up pics of my poor discription.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:12 AM

I enjoy researching things.

I may have found the answer you are looking for. The altaglow and paleface cultivars of saskatoon.

Ornamental Saskatoons: Altaglow - A tall, columnar shrub that grows about 20 feet high with a spread of 10 feet. The berries are large, white, and sweet but bland. Self sterile, so plant another cultinar nearby to set fruit. Produces brilliant fall folliage and was selected for use in large landscapes.

http://www.cals.uidaho.edu/edcomm/pdf/BUL/BUL0866.pdf

Altaglow: Originated in Red Deer River Valley, Alberta (51N), and selected by A. Griffin prior to 1923; wild plant transplanted to Alberta Horticulture Research Station, Brooks. Initial selection and distribution for testing, 1928. Tested at Agriculture Canada Research Station, Beaverlodge (BRS), Alberta as Brooks White. Selected as ornamental by J.A Wallace, BRS, 1946. Introduced by P.D. Hargrave, Brooks, Alberta, in 1964. Fruit up to 16 mm in diameter, nearly spherical, white, easily bruised; typically 5-9 per cluster, clusters tight, even ripening, very uneven in size; flavor bland but sweet. Apparently self-sterile. Shrub up to 7 m high; tall and erect habit, 3 m spread at maturity; moderate to good suckering close to crown, crown expanding indefinitly; crown long lived, 40+ years. Apparently susceptible to wood elm aphid. Introduced as an ornamental for its habit in large landscapes, for the oddity of its white fruit, but mainly for its splendid fall foliage colors.

Paleface - Introduced by W. Oaks, Miami, Manitoba (49N) (year unknown). Large, white, mild-flavored fruit, easily bruised. Shrub pyramidal to 2 m high; productive; suckers uncommon

http://www.prairie-elements.ca/saska...-cultivars.pdf

More info:
http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$Departm...all/agdex14362

And I found a PhD thesis on Saskatoons. Lots of info on the Altaglow and Paleface cultivars but it is intense with genetics and such. I can give the link if curious.

In all the searching it is quite difficult to find actual images of these cultivars. Within the links there are some pictures but not many. And no mention of how rare the species are. Neat info though. I did not realize there are so many varieties of saskatoons.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:36 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

I may have found the answer you are looking for. The altaglow and paleface cultivars of saskatoon.

Ornamental Saskatoons: Altaglow - A tall, columnar shrub that grows about 20 feet high with a spread of 10 feet. The berries are large, white, and sweet but bland. Self sterile, so plant another cultinar nearby to set fruit. Produces brilliant fall folliage and was selected for use in large landscapes.

Altaglow: Originated in Red Deer River Valley, Alberta (51N), and selected by A. Griffin prior to 1923; wild plant transplanted to Alberta Horticulture Research Station, Brooks. Initial selection and distribution for testing, 1928. Tested at Agriculture Canada Research Station, Beaverlodge (BRS), Alberta as Brooks White. Selected as ornamental by J.A Wallace, BRS, 1946. Introduced by P.D. Hargrave, Brooks, Alberta, in 1964. Fruit up to 16 mm in diameter, nearly spherical, white, easily bruised; typically 5-9 per cluster, clusters tight, even ripening, very uneven in size; flavor bland but sweet. Apparently self-sterile. Shrub up to 7 m high; tall and erect habit, 3 m spread at maturity; moderate to good suckering close to crown, crown expanding indefinitly; crown long lived, 40+ years. Apparently susceptible to wood elm aphid. Introduced as an ornamental for its habit in large landscapes, for the oddity of its white fruit, but mainly for its splendid fall foliage colors.

Paleface - Introduced by W. Oaks, Miami, Manitoba (49N) (year unknown). Large, white, mild-flavored fruit, easily bruised. Shrub pyramidal to 2 m high; productive; suckers uncommon

More info:

And I found a PhD thesis on Saskatoons. Lots of info on the Altaglow and Paleface cultivars but it is intense with genetics and such. I can give the link if curious.

In all the searching it is quite difficult to find actual images of these cultivars. Within the links there are some pictures but not many. And no mention of how rare the species are. Neat info though. I did not realize there are so many varieties of saskatoons.
Very informative. Thanks !

I thought I saw white Saskatoons listed in a nursery catalog but I didn't mention it because I couldn't find it. This convinces me that I did see them listed.

So maybe there's another way to acquire these unique berries.
A search of nursery catalogs especially the ones who specialize in trees and shrubs may be productive.

I'll see what I can find, if a few interested parties do the same one of us ought to find something if it's out there.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-16-2015, 11:27 AM

Curious: Do they still taste like a regular Saskatoon berry? Any difference?
Old 07-16-2015, 12:25 PM
Banned

Quote:

More info:

Thanks for the info! I love wild edibles, and rare varities are always cool to learn about!
Old 07-16-2015, 03:08 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
Curious: Do they still taste like a regular Saskatoon berry? Any difference?
Yes they do, taste like the purple ones.

To me they are very mild compared to the purple ones. Almost bland and a bit sweeter.

I don't know how they taste cooked, I've never found enough to be worth trying to make anything with them, like Jam, Wine or Pies.

I've always just eaten them fresh as a rare trail snack.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-16-2015, 03:14 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun
Thumbs up

I'd really like to try these ones, been munching on the regular ones for a week now
Old 07-28-2019, 07:28 PM

Default I have some!

I have lived in the Peace River country for 40 years and have picked these white saskatoons several times over the years. They grow in amongst the purple saskatoon berries and the leaves are identical to the purple bushes. They grow along the banks of the Peace River and I have known of this particular patch for years. The white berries are very sweet, juicy, and very tasty, not as sharp as the purple berries. They do not produce every year but this year they are exceptional. They are obviously a wild bush variation of the saskatoon.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:20 PM

We have five or six white Saskatoon bushes in the fence line on our home quarter, I never thought much about it. They taste the same as the purple ones, and I’m sure they are not all that uncommon. I’ve come across them fairly often in the Peace River area and north of there.
I’ve always thought they’d make an interesting white wine. I don’t think white Saskatoon pie would look all that appetizing though.