Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-11-2007, 11:32 PM
Jamie Hunt

Default New Trap gun

Got to try out my New (to me) Citori today. I figured it would be a nice day so I got up did my work early and packed up the whole family for a day at the range.
More than a little windy made it tough on the rusty trap skills.
New gun shoots nice, but I have to aim under the bird to hit it. (Approx 4 inches)
Rounds were
19-25
22-25
and
22-25
It was nice being able to see everyone from last year.
I know I can get better with this gun, should only be a matter of time. What I need is a day at the range by myself, that way I can practice all the hard shots. If I set the machine to do nothing but hard lefts from post 1 and nothing but hard rights from #5 I am sure I can get to the point of shooting 24's with out much problem. After that it is a matter of concentration over the course of 100.
I plan on doing all the registered shoots I can this summer.
If anyone wants to come out for a afternoon of shooting please get in touch with me. Watch it though, its a addicting sport.

Jamie
Old 03-12-2007, 09:08 PM
citysfs

Did you pattern this gun at all ?? Might be an idea to see where its actually stringing the shot and what loads work best. I understand from my Uncle that 1 ounce loads are common at 16 yds. Where are you shooting from at a handicap yardage?
Old 03-12-2007, 11:14 PM
hillbily

sounds like fun james, i might give it a try this summer.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:10 AM
Jamie Hunt

City,
Pattern board is next for me.
As for Handicap I have received one punch so far. So that puts me at 20.5 yards. I only shot 3 Handicap events last summer. I know that that is where all the glory lies, but I am a big fan of doubles. It’s costly to practice though.
I also have heard the comments about 1oz loads. Perhaps that is something I will look at later this summer. I don’t think I am good enough yet to start fine tuning all that goes into the game. I have a hard enough time concentrating up on the line. You wouldn’t believe the weird thoughts that come into my mind. LOLOLOLOLOL especially when I know I have a good round going. The minute I start to think about 25 or 50 in a row I am dead. So I deliberately think about other things. Other than when I am shooting doubles. In doubles I watch and concentrate on where exactly my first bird is going to be. By the time its my turn to shoot I know exactly when I am going to pull the trigger. Most of the time I don’t see my first bird explode.

Hill, your more than welcome to come out and play sometime. You also City.

Jamie
Old 03-13-2007, 08:25 PM
willy

Default wheres club at?

I shoot summer league at mossleigh but some practice would be nice. I bought a used citori last year like it but numbers wernt as good as rem 1100 yet.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:58 PM
citysfs

Default Re: wheres club at?

Trap shooting can be a disease of sorts..so I retired. My dad was a shooter and my Uncle has represented Canada in skeet shooting at two Olympics and a number or Pan am type games. I certainly understand the gitters and doubles was my favorite as well. A tip my old dad told me was to always carry an extra 5 or 6 rounds in your pouch so you do not start the count down while on the line. The other tip was to hold lower on the house to see both birds clearly. I always shot a monte carlo stock ( 1100 Rem) so I could just touch the bottom of the first bird as shot was stringing out high and had ample time to catch up on the other. Had the pleasure of beating the BC Doubles Champion one time at the Billy Barker Shoot in Quesnel so that is my career highlight.. I could almost say in the old days.. ha