Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-28-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
There is no arguing that an unclutered loading bench avoids mistakes. The smaller measuring tool need not be on the bench until required. I'd be surprised if elk doesn't have a comparator hiding somewhere though.
He says he doesn't.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-28-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
LOL anyone who owns one of these has left the drain open once I am sure....I use a small plastic "lunch cup" to empty powder into....

LC
I have done that as well with mine - more than once.........

Alba gu brath!
Old 01-28-2014, 08:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
He says he doesn't.
Maybe he's fibing...lol
Old 01-28-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Maybe he's fibing...lol
He has no sense of humour.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-28-2014, 08:45 AM
Banned

I think that I caught a glimpse of it.....right here:

Quote:
It appears that he means 1", not .1".
Old 01-28-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I have found that the method you describe can have a bullet several thousands into the lands. So that means in many many cases you are not off the lands at all. Even when you think you are.

It's a $40 tool for heavens sake.
If you vary the COL until you find the sweet spot, it really doesn't matter how you measure the COL.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If you vary the COL until you find the sweet spot, it really doesn't matter how you measure the COL.
Says the guy who doesn't own a comparator or an OAL gauge.

It sure does.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-28-2014, 09:48 AM
Banned

Elk, I'm confused here and I don't mean to start a war. But judging by your numerous posts, I concluded that you are an accuracy fanatic, much as I am. I recall threads were you gave advise on jump distance to lands. How do you do it without a comparator? Surely, you're not measuring OAL to bullet tip with a Home Hardware tape measure?
Old 01-28-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Elk, I'm confused here and I don't mean to start a war. But judging by your numerous posts, I concluded that you are an accuracy fanatic, much as I am. I recall threads were you gave advise on jump distance to lands. How do you do it without a comparator? Surely, you're not measuring OAL to bullet tip with a Home Hardware tape measure?
I use a bullet, and use it in a fired case with a slight bit of resized case neck, as a previous poster mentioned. I then chamber the dummy round,, carefully remove it, and measue the COL with my calipers.I repeat the procedure a few times, making sure that the results are consistent. I then use that very bullet to set up my seating die. By using the same bullet for all measurements, any variation between bullets is eliminated. All of my seating dies have micrometer adjustments, so it's quite easy to do.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:16 AM

^^^^^^same way that I do it-works for me^^^^
Old 01-28-2014, 05:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
I use a bullet, and use it in a fired case with a slight bit of resized case neck, as a previous poster mentioned. I then chamber the dummy round,, carefully remove it, and measue the COL with my calipers.I repeat the procedure a few times, making sure that the results are consistent. I then use that very bullet to set up my seating die. By using the same bullet for all measurements, any variation between bullets is eliminated. All of my seating dies have micrometer adjustments, so it's quite easy to do.
Seating dies having a micrometer adjustment have no bearing whatsoever in this discussion. If you measure coal off the bullet tip, your measurements are meaningless. A proper reading must be taken from the ogive to bear consistency. Period.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Seating dies having a micrometer adjustment have no bearing whatsoever in this discussion. If you measure coal off the bullet tip, your measurements are meaningless. A proper reading must be taken from the ogive to bear consistency. Period.
If you measure the COL of the dummy cartridge, and reduce that by . .010". it's no different than measuring the overall length to the ogive, and reducing that measurement by .010". The micrometer adjustment on the dies makes it simple to shorten it that .010".
Old 01-28-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
If you measure the COL of the dummy cartridge, and reduce that by . .010". it's no different than measuring the overall length to the ogive, and reducing that measurement by .010". The micrometer adjustment on the dies makes it simple to shorten it that .010".
If the tip of the bullet you used in the dummy is not uniform or representative to the other bullet tips in the box then that measurement can vary.

The ogive measurement is more precise in my experince/opinion.

LC
Old 01-28-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
If the tip of the bullet you used in the dummy is not uniform or representative to the other bullet tips in the box then that measurement can vary.

The ogive measurement is more precise in my experince/opinion.

LC
As I posted previously, I use the actual bullet that I use in the chamber, to set up my seating die .However the seating plug seats the bullets, by pressing closer to the ogive, so the dimension of the bullet point really doesn't matter, from that point on.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:28 PM
Banned

oakey doakey then.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:56 PM

Thanks, I will try to plug my chargemaster in directly to the wall. Currently it's plugged into a power bar but I've warmed it up for 30, 1hr, multiple hours, turned off all fluorescent lights, no vents, stable desk, cell phone left upstairs, turned off cell phone, etc. It's still not accurate and the above make no difference other than warming the machine up for 15-30 min.

I thought I had a problem unit, then researched it online and most people say theirs are nowhere near accurate. In fact I don't think I've heard somebody say they trust theirs 100%. Simply seeing the action (at least with extruded powder) it simply can't be accurate. The dispensing is not precise. No way it can dispense multiple grains of powder and still be bang on. The overly expensive scale SAYS it is, but the beam scale (which is more accurate) proves it's not. The scale ALWAYS stops at X value, but after you wait awhile it will show X+ some measurement. The beam scale will show this difference, and additional difference when it says it's still at X.

If you are trusting the chargemaster's scale, I highly suggest you double check on a more accurate scale.

If somebody has one that's 100% bang on all the time, please show video proof. I'll gladly send this green pig to RCBS. It's handy, but not the machine they market it to be. I don't measure to be "close enough". I measure to the granule of powder.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:22 PM

I don't have video proof but I just took these pictures of my scale from low to high using check weights....these are the Lyman check weight set...

My Chargemaster is over 10 years old

1 grain check

2 grain

2x 2 grain

0.5 plus 5 grain

2x 2 grain plus 1 grain

10 grain

10 grain plus 20 grain

2x 20 grain plus 10 grain

2x 20 grain plus 10 grain plus 50 grain

2x 20 grain plus 10 grain plus 50 grain plus 100 grain

2x 20 plus 10 plus 50 plus 100 plus 0.5

Mine works....

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 01-28-2014 at 10:51 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:02 AM

Quinn, Does your Chargemaster vary the dispensing speed as it gets closer to the target? Mine has about 3-4 speeds per complete powder drop....starts out fast and then slows down to a trickle at the end where only one or two granules will drop...just like you would with a hand trickler

LC
Old 01-29-2014, 08:14 AM
Banned

Lordy lordy there LC, just how much free time do you have? good post though. A couple more considerations before sending it back:

1. there are connectors and I believe an infrared comm. port between the scale and dispenser. Ensure good connections and clean comm. port.

2. there are adjustable feet under both scale and dispenser, ensure that you don't have a soft foot as we call them in my millwright world.

Otherwise, perhaps you may have a dud which needs to go back to RCBS.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
Thanks, I will try to plug my chargemaster in directly to the wall. Currently it's plugged into a power bar but I've warmed it up for 30, 1hr, multiple hours, turned off all fluorescent lights, no vents, stable desk, cell phone left upstairs, turned off cell phone, etc. It's still not accurate and the above make no difference other than warming the machine up for 15-30 min.

I thought I had a problem unit, then researched it online and most people say theirs are nowhere near accurate. In fact I don't think I've heard somebody say they trust theirs 100%. Simply seeing the action (at least with extruded powder) it simply can't be accurate. The dispensing is not precise. No way it can dispense multiple grains of powder and still be bang on. The overly expensive scale SAYS it is, but the beam scale (which is more accurate) proves it's not. The scale ALWAYS stops at X value, but after you wait awhile it will show X+ some measurement. The beam scale will show this difference, and additional difference when it says it's still at X.

If you are trusting the chargemaster's scale, I highly suggest you double check on a more accurate scale.

If somebody has one that's 100% bang on all the time, please show video proof. I'll gladly send this green pig to RCBS. It's handy, but not the machine they market it to be. I don't measure to be "close enough". I measure to the granule of powder.
Mine started to act once but upon closer inspection i found 1 little ball powder had somehow gotten under table arm that the dispensing tray sits on. Gentley blew it out and it's been good since.Just something to look at maybe.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Lordy lordy there LC, just how much free time do you have? good post though
Cell phone camera and photobucket for the win....took about 5-10 minutes to take pics and post....ill show you someday old buddy, just bring a notepad to take notes

LC