Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-26-2014, 10:14 AM

Default Simplified Loading Bench Layout

At one time, my loading bench was quite congested, with a press,measure,scale, trimmer, trickler,primer pocket cleaning tools, deburring tools etc., but at this point, I am down to three tools that not only perform all of those tasks, but they do it quicker, with less effort. The press is still the same, but the Chargemaster replaces the scale, the measure, and the trickler. The new Universal Case Prep Center, trims brass, chamfers in and out, and cleans primer pockets, much faster than I could do it in the past.

My new loading bench layout.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:29 AM

Those are some nice pieces of gear! I bought a Lyman case prep center that I really like using. One day a charge master will grace my bench. For now I just use the Lee length gauges for trimming and that works ok I find I am only trimming every 3-5 loads.

Thanks for the pic, I love seeing other peoples reloading set-ups! What are your bench dimensions.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:46 AM
Banned

Do you sit on the bucket?

R.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:48 AM

Looks good! I have the case master but not the universal that also trims, how do you like it? Is it able to trim any case with what it comes with or do you have to buy accessories for different calibers?

LC
Old 01-26-2014, 12:10 PM

No collets or shell holders are required with the universal case prep tool. I have used cases from 22 Hornet to 221 Fireball, to 7mmstw, to 454 Casull, and it works fine. You still need pilots for each bore size, and a set comes with the tool, although it doesn't include every size, that you might need. I really like the micrometer adjustment, and the fact that you can vary the speed.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:33 PM

elkhunter, your reloading bench is way to organized!!! wheres the adventure in trying to find things. I just came up from cleaning mine out, low and behold I found my leica range finder. I had that lost for 2 yrs, found stuff I never even knew I owned.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:03 PM

Was thinking about buying a chargemaster, about how long does it take to spit out a charge?
Old 01-26-2014, 05:05 PM

About as long as it takes to seat a bullet, at a comfortable pace. Just remember to check if the drain spout is closed, before refilling it.
It's nicer to have it mounted on a stand, when you have to empty it also.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
About as long as it takes to seat a bullet, at a comfortable pace. Just remember to check if the drain spout is closed, before refilling it.
LOL anyone who owns one of these has left the drain open once I am sure....I use a small plastic "lunch cup" to empty powder into....

LC
Old 01-26-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkytopBrewster View Post
Was thinking about buying a chargemaster, about how long does it take to spit out a charge?
Not that long. You can program the machine to dispense faster too. It's such a pleasure loading with.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
LOL anyone who owns one of these has left the drain open once I am sure....I use a small plastic "lunch cup" to empty powder into....

LC
More than once
Old 01-26-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
More than once
I should mention I leave the cup under the drain just in case....

LC
Old 01-26-2014, 06:36 PM

What, no OAL gauge, comparator, concentriicity gauge, calipers, neck turning tools ..............

-Billy Molls
Old 01-26-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rman View Post
Do you sit on the bucket?.
This
Old 01-26-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
More than once
I can relate ...........

Thanks Lefty, in future I will keep a container by the spout ........ "just in case"
Old 01-26-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
What, no OAL gauge, comparator, concentriicity gauge, calipers, neck turning tools ..............
My calipers, micrometer, and universal hand priming tools are in the shelving unit to the right with my manuals and dies,lubes, etc. I don't use an OAL gauge or a comparator, and I don't turn necks.

Quote:
This
I sit on a swivel chair, that isn't in the picture. I use the pail to mix different lot numbers of the same powder, to make one lot.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:01 PM

I double weigh every load of mine. The Chargemaster is not accurate.

(Yes, mine has the Mcdicks straw and re-programed)

If you are after accuracy, always double weigh, or set the chargemaster low and trickle to desired load.

The chargemaster is reasonably quick, but not quick enough. I refuse to pay the 35$ for a second pan so I will add weight to another pan I have to make them the same weight (so the unit dispenses the proper charge in both pans). This will allow me to run two at a time speeding things up. I refrain from seating bullets until all cases have been filled and topped with a projectile. I don't like the vibration the press causes affecting the machine. I could probably have it mounted a little more solid =)
Old 01-26-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
I double weigh every load of mine. The Chargemaster is not accurate.

(Yes, mine has the Mcdicks straw and re-programed)

If you are after accuracy, always double weigh, or set the chargemaster low and trickle to desired load.

The chargemaster is reasonably quick, but not quick enough. I refuse to pay the 35$ for a second pan so I will add weight to another pan I have to make them the same weight (so the unit dispenses the proper charge in both pans). This will allow me to run two at a time speeding things up. I refrain from seating bullets until all cases have been filled and topped with a projectile. I don't like the vibration the press causes affecting the machine. I could probably have it mounted a little more solid =)
I would contact RCBS if your Chargemaster is not accurate because if it is not dead on it's got issues....

Mine is dead on...

LC
Old 01-27-2014, 05:37 AM

Quote:
I would contact RCBS if your Chargemaster is not accurate because if it is not dead on it's got issues....

Mine is dead on...
Or his bench isn't rigid enough, or he has drafts in the loading area. I verify the reading on the scale, every time I lift the pan off of the scale, to double check each charge weight.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:16 AM

I don't trust the scale on the charge master, I always reweigh any charge that it throws. I find it only ever accurately throws the correct maybe 15% of the time. This is after tweaking all of the settings to have it work quicker and more accurately (plus installing the straw mod).
Old 01-27-2014, 07:21 AM

One other thing to consider is the Chargemaster needs to be plugged directly into the wall outlet....do not use a power bar.

I am surprised some of you are having issues. I check my scale with a set of proper range check weights and it always comes up as it should.

I never did the "straw mod" to it either.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 01-27-2014 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
My calipers, micrometer, and universal hand priming tools are in the shelving unit to the right with my manuals and dies,lubes, etc. I don't use an OAL gauge or a comparator, and I don't turn necks.
Interesting. How do you tell your relationship to the lands when they start to move?

-Billy Molls
Old 01-27-2014, 08:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Oh boy, thanks for reminding me of that little faux pas. Not once, but twice, and with ball powder too.....duhhh!
Old 01-27-2014, 09:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.J.P View Post
I don't trust the scale on the charge master, I always reweigh any charge that it throws. I find it only ever accurately throws the correct maybe 15% of the time. This is after tweaking all of the settings to have it work quicker and more accurately (plus installing the straw mod).
I think that there may be something wrong with yours. Mine is dead on accurate, all the time. Try these few things:

1. let your system warm up for half an hour before using it. Plug in and power up.

2. your power may be experiencing slight brown outs, try plugging into a UPS.

3. ensure that you don't have a breeze blowing through, be it from an open window or a fan. Perhaps a furnace vent nearby.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Interesting. How do you tell your relationship to the lands when they start to move?
I build a dummy round to check the distance to the lands, if I notice any changes .
Old 01-27-2014, 10:09 PM

^x2
Old 01-28-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100zero View Post
^x2
So how is this dummy rounds relationship to the lands measured?

-Billy Molls
Old 01-28-2014, 06:56 AM

Dent the mouth on a fired round, mark a bullet with sharpie and carefully chamber and extract. Measure the OAL and do this 3x and take an average. Back your seating depth off from there as you prefer. Yes, not as accurate as your method but close enough for most guys hunting bullets. Does not take into consideration variations between bullets. Have to repeat the process for every different bullet type. You know this, you just can't resist harassing guys
Old 01-28-2014, 08:02 AM
Banned

There is no arguing that an unclutered loading bench avoids mistakes. The smaller measuring tool need not be on the bench until required. I'd be surprised if elk doesn't have a comparator hiding somewhere though.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkytopBrewster View Post
Dent the mouth on a fired round, mark a bullet with sharpie and carefully chamber and extract. Measure the OAL and do this 3x and take an average. Back your seating depth off from there as you prefer. Yes, not as accurate as your method but close enough for most guys hunting bullets. Does not take into consideration variations between bullets. Have to repeat the process for every different bullet type. You know this, you just can't resist harassing guys
I have found that the method you describe can have a bullet several thousands into the lands. So that means in many many cases you are not off the lands at all. Even when you think you are.

It's a $40 tool for heavens sake.

-Billy Molls