Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-01-2011, 01:09 AM
Banned

Default Should SanFrancisco be allowed to dump 8.5million pounds of bleach into the ocean??

Saw this over on smalldeadanimals.com.

It appears that all those low flush toilets (which I hate with a passion) have resulted in a build up of sludge in the city's sewer system and they now want to dump bleach into the system to deal with the odour. I say let the hippies reap what they have sown and live with the reaking stench of their green agenda. This is what happens when you let uneducated commies run things. Can you imagine what would happen to this country if the NDP or libs were running things?? Good God. How stupid can you be?
Old 03-01-2011, 04:26 AM

Hell no!
Old 03-01-2011, 05:14 AM

Hmmm I thought for sure they would be used to the smell of bum stew down there.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:12 AM

8.5 million pounds of bleach?! How the hell is this even an option??

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 03-01-2011, 07:34 AM
Banned

Default oops...forgot to put the link in

http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/archives/016199.html

Here's the link.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:36 AM
Banned

since when do you measure liquid in pounds?
Old 03-01-2011, 07:38 AM

Its not 8.5 million it 27 million.
. http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/2011...er-sewer-stink
Old 03-01-2011, 07:49 AM

Another more reliable source:
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/01...ncisco/?hpt=T2

And it's not directly into the ocean, rather, it's putting it into the sewer system where it can be diluted first. And the water would be treated before hitting the ocean. However, it is still overkill, because (as mentioned), hydrogen peroxide would work as well.

Or they could just deal with the smell.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:57 AM

Ah greenies, the cycle of stupidity has been completed.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 03-01-2011, 09:08 AM

Maybe they should drag of few of these jerks through the pipe to clean the mess.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast View Post
It's a poorly written article, like most. The real issue is how much sodium hypochlorite (the active ingredient in bleach) are they going to pour into the system and eventually into the environment.

There are lots of liquids measured in pounds, propane, aviation fuel, peanut butter, water.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 03-01-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoKlu View Post
Maybe they should drag of few of these jerks through the pipe to clean the mess.
A new game " piggin' with greenies".

Old 03-01-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Saw this over on smalldeadanimals.com.

It appears that all those low flush toilets (which I hate with a passion) have resulted in a build up of sludge in the city's sewer system and they now want to dump bleach into the system to deal with the odour. I say let the hippies reap what they have sown and live with the reaking stench of their green agenda. This is what happens when you let uneducated commies run things. Can you imagine what would happen to this country if the NDP or libs were running things?? Good God. How stupid can you be?
OK ruga, calm down. First of all, whats with this "Can you imagine what would happen in this coutry if the NDP or libs were running things?" talk. Hate to break it to you, but we don't have to imagine it. They HAVE been running things in the recent past (the Libs federally and the NDP in many provinces). Also, isn't the governor of California a Republican?

Finally, don't hate the low flows too much. The one I just installed has more suction and power than any regular toilet I've ever had (they come with some sort of power rating so you can compare). NOTHING gets clogged. They aren't all wimpy little wonders.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
OK ruga, calm down. First of all, whats with this "Can you imagine what would happen in this coutry if the NDP or libs were running things?" talk. Hate to break it to you, but we don't have to imagine it. They HAVE been running things in the recent past (the Libs federally and the NDP in many provinces). Also, isn't the governor of California a Republican?

Finally, don't hate the low flows too much. The one I just installed has more suction and power than any regular toilet I've ever had (they come with some sort of power rating so you can compare). NOTHING gets clogged. They aren't all wimpy little wonders.
yeah excellent suction from your toilet to the drain in your house... definitely not enough water to carry it on out to the main line
Old 03-01-2011, 10:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
simple mistake... not a big deal... u gonna be ok after reading that?
Old 03-01-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Who said it was liquid? Bleach comes in powder as well.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Banned

not being an engineer I would say the problem is the system wasn't set up for low flow toilets it was made for old conventional toilets,not enough water flow to make the waste flow out quick enough.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:44 AM

If low flows were the problem I would expect you would see this problem more in recent subdivisions. Is this common?
Old 03-02-2011, 10:07 AM
Gone Fishing

If in fact the problem is caused by new low flow toilets and the lack of liquids to flush the system properly then obviously the solution would be to pump sea water through the system to flush it clean.
That being said, I think a few things in the posted link are being simplified or missed!
First off, the "bleach" is actually a three year supply, no where does it say this bleach will be used in one day.
Second, the city of San Fran. treats over 80 million gallons of waste water per day! With that much volume of water being reintroduced into the ocean as well as the oceans volume in San Fran. Bay, any amount of bleach(witn in reason) the city dumped into the system in a day would easily be diluted to a insignifacant parts per million. Nothing to get a wedgie over I think!
Old 03-02-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpacker View Post
Nothing to get a wedgie over I think!
Agreed. I think it's just our resident enviromentalist/"the sky is falling" Greenpeace sympathizer Rugatika getting all outraged again. LOL