Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2011, 05:30 PM

Default G20 ....Protest Police Action Toronto

Watched 5 th Estate the other night , was all about the

excessive force Torontos finest used to curtail the peaceful

protestors at the G20 summit in Toronto.

Looked like there was some vandalism and the cops lost it ....

Any rational thoughts on this, bear in mind this was on the CBC

so unbiased is kind of a stretch .

Do you think the protesters rights were in fringed on ....

The police did not have the ability to discriminate between

peaceful and violent protest....so if you were there it was batons and strip searchs....for all....

W101
Old 02-28-2011, 05:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
Watched 5 th Estate the other night , was all about the

excessive force Torontos finest used to curtail the peaceful

protestors at the G20 summit in Toronto.

Looked like there was some vandalism and the cops lost it ....

Any rational thoughts on this, bear in mind this was on the CBC

so unbiased is kind of a stretch .

Do you think the protesters rights were in fringed on ....

The police did not have the ability to discriminate between

peaceful and violent protest....so if you were there it was batons and strip searchs....for all....

W101
it was excessive, people in a free and open country have the right to protest and that shouldn't be infringed upon by the government for political reasons.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:56 PM
Banned

I'm all for protesting as long as they stay peaceful. Once they start wrecking other peoples stuff though (as lefty protesters so often do).., spray em with water hoses, tear gas em, arrest them and lock them up. These lefties get into a group and all of a sudden they get tough and they think they have every right in the world to destroy what honest citizens have built up...typical liberals.

You watch any tea party protest and they are peaceful, sober, intelligent people that don't even leave a mess behind. Compare that to a lefty protest...garbage all over the place, burning stuff, vandalism etc etc.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast View Post
it was excessive, people in a free and open country have the right to protest and that shouldn't be infringed upon by the government for political reasons.
You want to talk about excessive? What about the cars that were torched and the store fronts that were vandalized?

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 02-28-2011, 06:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
You want to talk about excessive? What about the cars that were torched and the store fronts that were vandalized?
did the cars get burnt first or did people have their right's taken away first?

of course I don't agree with people burning cars, but that still don't mean what the government did was right,if this was a liberal government you guys would have been all over them with the ammount of money they spent and how the lefties took the people's rights away,but since it happened under harper it's ok to do that right?
Old 02-28-2011, 06:44 PM

get use to the police action as this is only going to get worse as time goes on and as people learn to stay out off there way and except this as the norm. after awhile the politicians will make it illegal to protest as it is dangerous to the public and most of the sheep in this country will agree as it is safety. then any body that tries to protest is a criminal and the term protest could be any thing that is in disagreement with the goverment. that sound like CHINA or the USSR that could never happen here in Canada as the UN would never let that happen as they are the group who wish to be the police of the free world. and the UN is keeping us all safe from our selves with gun control. Every political party in Canada seems to lick the boots of the UN as it is the politically correct thing to do.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
get use to the police action as this is only going to get worse as time goes on and as people learn to stay out off there way and except this as the norm. after awhile the politicians will make it illegal to protest as it is dangerous to the public and most of the sheep in this country will agree as it is safety. then any body that tries to protest is a criminal and the term protest could be any thing that is in disagreement with the goverment. that sound like CHINA or the USSR that could never happen here in Canada as the UN would never let that happen as they are the group who wish to be the police of the free world. and the UN is keeping us all safe from our selves with gun control. Every political party in Canada seems to lick the boots of the UN as it is the politically correct thing to do.
All this type abuse of citizens has already happened in this country.

The children in our skrools are never taught about these atrocities against humanity that were incurred on the citizens of this country, and we know why. All they know about is a place called Auschwitz, not Yoho Park.

The government of the day says this will never happen again.

To quote Pierre Trudeau during the FLQ crisis "Just watch me". And those FLQ types were Pierre's buddies.

Lord help us all.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Gone Hunting

Yeah! yeah! poor protesters get no sympathy from me.

Is this typical??

http://www.windsorstar.com/news/Wind...420/story.html

He torched a police car.

He is also 41 years old, lives with his parents, and has 17 previous convictions.

Boo hoo. Lock the idiot up for ten years.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-01-2011, 10:02 AM

It's hard to tell whether the "protesters" went overboard. Sort of like painting all hunters with the same brush as anyone who kills an animal. There were clearly legitimate protesters and also hooligans who just wanted to make trouble and burn police cars. I'm sure there are plenty of organizations saying "Don't call them protesters!"

As for the police, hard job. But a couple of things stood out. Stopping law-abiding people on a public street, questioning and searching them... and also the banging batons on shields as the riot police advanced on peaceful crowds. Just provocative and overly aggressive in the instances I saw (quiet crowds on back streets). Like the APEC conference in Vancouver, they need to be a little better managed and tactful. But overall not too bad.

Basically, I blame the government for all the hassle and the freakin expense/waste! We need to spend over a billion dollars on a couple two day conferences? Are you crazy? Avoid all this nonesense and never host another one again. It's all vanity.

If we MUST host them again, do it in Nunavut. Hard for protesters to get there, and they could at least leave behind some facillities they could use.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:10 AM

I have no problem with treating "rough" protesters in a "rough" way, but I was shocked by the stuff I watched on the W5 program referenced by the OP...especially what happened to the group arrested in the gymnasium. To insure the public reatains confidence and respect for police ..the police must also be held accountable for their actions.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:50 AM
Gone Hunting

"If we MUST host them again, do it in Nunavut. Hard for protesters to get there, and they could at least leave behind some facillities they could use."

Even a blind pig finds a truffle once in a while

That is sheer genius right there. well done!!

I remember years ago when that flaky Paul Watson was in B.C. to protest the wolf cull. He failed to plan and when he got 'up north' the locals were less than supportive. Dead of winter, he couldn't get lodging or air support to fly him in to the wilderness areas. He only found a couple boxes of apples and IIRC he was in and out in 24 hours.

Now when he was down under and burned the ship at dockside, it was much more comfy and the money was better.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-01-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
It's hard to tell whether the "protesters" went overboard. Sort of like painting all hunters with the same brush as anyone who kills an animal. There were clearly legitimate protesters and also hooligans who just wanted to make trouble and burn police cars. I'm sure there are plenty of organizations saying "Don't call them protesters!"

As for the police, hard job. But a couple of things stood out. Stopping law-abiding people on a public street, questioning and searching them... and also the banging batons on shields as the riot police advanced on peaceful crowds. Just provocative and overly aggressive in the instances I saw (quiet crowds on back streets). Like the APEC conference in Vancouver, they need to be a little better managed and tactful. But overall not too bad.

Basically, I blame the government for all the hassle and the freakin expense/waste! We need to spend over a billion dollars on a couple two day conferences? Are you crazy? Avoid all this nonesense and never host another one again. It's all vanity.

If we MUST host them again, do it in Nunavut. Hard for protesters to get there, and they could at least leave behind some facillities they could use.

I agree, Nunavut would be one hell of a place to host. Middle of January, no daylight, lots of cold. I would be willing to bet that there arent a whole bunch of protesters out there that would be willing to brave that. What about holding the conference on a ship? Ship leaves port and it becomes very difficult and expensive for someone to find a boat and protest in the middle of the atlantic.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale7637 View Post
What about holding the conference on a ship? Ship leaves port and it becomes very difficult and expensive for someone to find a boat and protest in the middle of the atlantic.
I always wondered about that one. SO much is spent on security, such a hassle. Just have it on an aircraft carrier at sea. Nice and secure. All the hundreds of admin and diplomatic folks can of course meet in whatever city they want, but have the leaders onboard and safe. Cost? Couple million versus 1 billion.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I don't feel sorry for the protestors. They lost the freedom to protest when they resorted to torching cars and smashing store fronts along with who knows what else they vandalized.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
I don't feel sorry for the protestors. They lost the freedom to protest when they resorted to torching cars and smashing store fronts along with who knows what else they vandalized.
Not sure I agree with that blanket generalization. Remember the incident last year where those idiots were shooting waterfowl from a car with centerfire rifles? So how does this blanket statement sound to you? "I don't feel sorry for hunters. They lost the freedom to hunt and own firearms when they resorted to shooting game from cars, poaching, and generally ignoring the law." I'm sure we don't agree that generalization is fair. The actions of a few don't tar the many. Not even sure if they guys dancing on the cop car wearing roller blades and torching it even had anything to do with the protests.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:37 PM

This is how i see it, if you're sitting on a tree line and a guy sits down beside you and says "i'm gonna poach the next deer i see" if you sit there beside him, cheer him on, and take some of the meat can you really complain about being arrested or getting a fine.

Protestor A is peacefully protesting but no one is paying attention. Protestor B joins him and starts burning cars. All of a sudden peole start paying attention to A and B. If A sticks around then he deserves the same as B. Arrested and if need be beaten.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rena0040 View Post
This is how i see it, if you're sitting on a tree line and a guy sits down beside you and says "i'm gonna poach the next deer i see" if you sit there beside him, cheer him on, and take some of the meat can you really complain about being arrested or getting a fine.

Protestor A is peacefully protesting but no one is paying attention. Protestor B joins him and starts burning cars. All of a sudden peole start paying attention to A and B. If A sticks around then he deserves the same as B. Arrested and if need be beaten.
guilty by association doesn't really work,not all hunters are poachers,and not all protestors are violent ones either,I am not responsible for what other hunters do just like protestors are not responsible for what other protestors do.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
they lost freedom before they had it,the government put up fences and made dead zones before the conference,they never had the right to protest when it started which is wrong,this is supposed to be a free and open country where the government can't take your rights away,cause afterall if they can take them away they are not rights to begin with.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
they lost freedom before they had it,the government put up fences and made dead zones before the conference,they never had the right to protest when it started which is wrong,this is supposed to be a free and open country where the government can't take your rights away,cause afterall if they can take them away they are not rights to begin with.
This from the guy that wants to ban 30 round clips.

And Oko...totally apples to oranges. If any real hunter was there witnessing the event, he would have gotten out of the car, told them to stop, phone the police etc etc. These lefties did none of those things. They were likely cheering on the hooligans.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post

And Oko...totally apples to oranges. If any real hunter was there witnessing the event, he would have gotten out of the car, told them to stop, phone the police etc etc. These lefties did none of those things. They were likely cheering on the hooligans.
Ding ding ding!

The hunters were a small group of idiots. The G20 protestors were a HUGE group of people that were emotionally charged. Now lets say a few bad apples spoiled the bunch, I have watched a ton of footage from the protests and I can say none of the protestors standing around were trying to stop the ones destroying stuff. But it did look like a lot of encouraging was going on. And in all that chaos, I highly doubt the police could sort out everyone and everything in a quick manner and just arrest those breaking laws. In an event with such chaos and stress, everyone should be considered guilty until proven innocent.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:09 AM

Quote:
I hate agreeing with Eastcoast but he is right.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:22 AM

Quote:
I'm all for protesting as long as they stay peaceful. Once they start wrecking other peoples stuff though (as lefty protesters so often do).., spray em with water hoses, tear gas em, arrest them and lock them up. These lefties get into a group and all of a sudden they get tough and they think they have every right in the world to destroy what honest citizens have built up...typical liberals.

You watch any tea party protest and they are peaceful, sober, intelligent people that don't even leave a mess behind. Compare that to a lefty protest...garbage all over the place, burning stuff, vandalism etc etc.
abuot that tea party protest: the only tea party protest that I ever heard of was the boston tea party protest and the ruling English tought that it was a hell of a mess. but it got the ball rolling to get out from under the english thumb.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
All this type abuse of citizens has already happened in this country.

The children in our skrools are never taught about these atrocities against humanity that were incurred on the citizens of this country, and we know why. All they know about is a place called Auschwitz, not Yoho Park.

The government of the day says this will never happen again.

To quote Pierre Trudeau during the FLQ crisis "Just watch me". And those FLQ types were Pierre's buddies.

Lord help us all.
yes I know, but it is a crime that most of these people on this forum and I would assume that it is a good representation of the country, but it seems most of them have no idea why the WW2 was fought. most seem to want the same type of government that hundred thousands died to prevent it does not matter what you call it.when you have the same laws its the same. even if it is the UN wanting them does not make them different just because they are suppose to be the good guys.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Ding ding ding!
I have watched a ton of footage from the protests and I can say none of the protestors standing around were trying to stop the ones destroying stuff. .
It's not enough that the vast majority of protesters were peaceful and not looting or setting fire to things. Now you are saying that they should have actively intervened with loony/violent offenders in order to earn your approval?

Bottom line, don't confuse protesters with opportunistic criminals. This is preciesly why the cops locked up so many non-violent people. They couldn't or didn't want to tell the difference.

Crimes were committed on the Red Mile during Calgary's cup run. Should they have locked up all the revellers? Guilt by association?

Sorry, it's apples to apples.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:18 AM
Banned

Quote:

so you like the government taking away your right to protest?