Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-04-2014, 10:33 PM

Default Whitetail Rut Gear/Tactics

With the whitetail rut just around the corner, i just wanted to see everyones plans on how you plan on arrowing a WT buck and what you will use/try doing so.

Myself, i will be using my rattling antlers from a buck I took a few years ago, i bought a the primos buck roar last year which seemed to work alright. And my favourite call, the primos can. In my mind this is a must have in the stand during the peak of the rut. Some may not agree but it has worked great for my hunting partners and I. What do you guys use?

The way I usually call WT bucks in is I will use the can a few times wait 1 to 2 mins start grunting then bang the antlers around. I'll grunt at the same time as i rattle the horns. I used to not do this until I seen two nice bucks fighting last year and aggressively grunting at the same time. I'll rattle for roughly 4-7 mins and then let off slowly. Use the can and grunt a few times after that then stay quiet for give or take a half hour. I know this is basic WT calling but it works in my area. How do you guys get the big boys into bow range??

Would love to hear some responses. Maybe it will help the next 8 days go by quicker!!

Shoot Straight!

Donnie

Last edited by arrow_baron; 11-04-2014 at 10:40 PM.