Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-25-2014, 07:37 PM

Default Shipping Mounts from South Africa

Just wondering if anyone who's been to SA before knows if there is a difference in cost between shipping finished mounts or shipping dipped and packed items back? I'm trying to decide whether to get the taxidermy done here or by Highveld Taxidermy in SA.
Any info would be appreciated
Old 01-25-2014, 10:25 PM

I havnt had any done over there but the was a guy that lived a few blocks from me that was hunting the same outfit at the same time.
Shipping cost him more than me because of the size of crate. Taxidermy work was cheaper but not by much when all the nickels were added. He had a zebra skin rug made that he wasn't to impressed with. I had a zebra flat skin done over there that looks good.
Tanning in Africa looked good from what I seen and is way cheaper over there. I get flat skins and back skins tanned there and capes brought back here for tanning
Old 01-25-2014, 10:45 PM

I bring in shipments from africa all the time. The way things are going shipping dip and pack is going to end up costing much more then finished mounts. CFIA is detaining almost all the dip/pack shipments for various reasons and making it mandatory to send your shipment to disinfection at a huge cost. There are only a few approved facilities so far, and arranging specialized transport is very costly. At this point I would recommend to get your trophies mounted over there to avoid all the headache with the government at the moment. I see highvelds work pretty often and they are one of the above avverage ones over there. There crating is usually pretty good too.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:54 AM

Thanks for the replies. My friend from SA has recommended getting them done there too, so that will be the route I will take.

Mods, meant for this to be in the hunting section
Old 01-26-2014, 10:29 AM

Just my opinion, you may not be satisfied with the work done from the dark continent....

Only thing I would have done there would be the rich mans rug ( Zebra ), there is a ton of time spent on this hide and this would be way cheaper done there.

There are some real artist here that will bring your trophies back to life, I have seen some less than stellar work come out of Africa.