Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 07:28 AM
Banned

Default Metis hunting rights?

I don't know if this is a topic that should be brought to the forum, but I'd like to hear some discussion on this, I guess it's a real can 'o worms
Old 06-25-2010, 07:34 AM

They should have the same rights as us!!!!! To pay for hunting tags !!! If not in my eyes they are just potchers.
Can O worms is now wide open!!!
Old 06-25-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickfast View Post
They should have the same rights as us!!!!! To pay for hunting tags !!! If not in my eyes they are just poachers.
There I fixed that for you.

Can of worms is a understatement.

Far too many pages of this forum have been dedicated to this subject in the past for me to do justice to them by re open some mighty nasty wounds

There are no absolutes
Old 06-25-2010, 07:50 AM
Banned

Sorry guys, I'm new here, so I wasn't aware of previous posts on this subject. Maybe I should delete my post?

Last edited by trooper; 06-25-2010 at 07:52 AM. Reason: add more
Old 06-25-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
Sorry guys, I'm new here, so I wasn't aware of previous posts on this subject. Maybe I should delete my post?
Nope, just try out the search function, and have a good long read.

There are no absolutes
Old 06-25-2010, 08:31 AM

Might aswell lock this sucker up right now, we all know whats coming and how it's going to end.Blah, blah, blah, all should be equal, blah, blah ,blah, not fair, hunt with a stick and sting ,blah, blah,poachers and so on. Lock it up.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:59 AM

Unregulated killing of game is just that. It doesn't matter if it's called poaching or subsistence hunting or anything else, in the end it's not fair to the environment, the animals, or the people - this generation or the one's to come. If somebody's half-ancestors got screwed over in the past, well that's horrible but there will never be a reason good enough to warrant limitless killing of our natural resources. It's BS. If, because your half-ancestors used to hunt (so did mine, by the way, just on a different continent) you feel you deserve to hunt and kill more game than I do, giver, but lets be realistic about it and have limits, licenses, and tags to make sure we're not shooting our kids in the foot.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thickhorn View Post
Unregulated killing of game is just that. It doesn't matter if it's called poaching or subsistence hunting or anything else, in the end it's not fair to the environment, the animals, or the people - this generation or the one's to come. If somebody's half-ancestors got screwed over in the past, well that's horrible but there will never be a reason good enough to warrant limitless killing of our natural resources. It's BS. If, because your half-ancestors used to hunt (so did mine, by the way, just on a different continent) you feel you deserve to hunt and kill more game than I do, giver, but lets be realistic about it and have limits, licenses, and tags to make sure we're not shooting our kids in the foot.
Very well said!
I am sure it wont take long for this thread to get derailed... but

I have a very hard time understanding why the Metis hunt can not be regulated ie: number of tags and some season restrictions and still allow enough hunting for subsistence.

Ideally we could all be treated equally and abide by the same rules but that is probably wishfull thinking.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickfast View Post
They should have the same rights as us!!!!! To pay for hunting tags !!! If not in my eyes they are just potchers.
maybe they shouldn't pay but they should be regulated. without doing so there is no way to manage endangered wildlife.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
I don't know if this is a topic that should be brought to the forum, but I'd like to hear some discussion on this, I guess it's a real can 'o worms
There are 27 other threads on AO on this topic you should read as background, all filled with vitriol and rage, and almost all closed down by the mods in the end because people ended up acting like 2 year olds. Happy reading.

I guess we need to go through this again every few months....
Old 06-25-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
There are 27 other threads on AO on this topic you should read as background, all filled with vitriol and rage, and almost all closed down by the mods in the end because people ended up acting like 2 year olds. Happy reading.

I guess we need to go through this again every few months....
I had to look up "vitriol" to find out what it means. It sounded to me like it might be some kind of medicine but I see now that it's not. So I learned something today, Okie, and I thank you for that.

I had no trouble understanding the meaning of the word "rage'", however. It means "extreme anger". Does it strike you as odd, Okie, that there would be a large number of members on a forum such as this one who would be extremely angry at the possibility of a significant portion of the population of this province being given rights which have the potential to end sport hunting as we know it for the rest of us simply in the name of political correctness?
Closed Thread