Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-22-2021, 06:00 PM

Default hunting packs what do you recomend?

2 nights ago somebody wanted my hunt pack/go bag ( Icarry in truck,boat, 4wheeler in case something goes awry and have to spend night out) more than I needed it and stole it from locked truck cab via smashed side glass. It was crooked horn non -typical had it since 83 wife gave me for wedding gift. Now I'm looking for a new one, suggestion what works what dont.
Old 08-22-2021, 06:04 PM

Default Pack

Gonna be a lot of opinions but have a look at Kifaru packs. I have a Kuiu that has been ok but not even in the same category as the Kifaru packs I’ve seen.
Old 08-22-2021, 06:18 PM

Mystery ranch
Or the one that fits you the best
Old 08-22-2021, 06:59 PM

Depends it’s application. I like a minimalist pack for back country. I use an exo mountain. But a day pack I would like something with a little more compartments to keep organized. My buddy rocks a mystery ranch and although they are heavier, they do separate gear very well.
Old 08-22-2021, 08:37 PM

I really like my Badlands Super Day pack. I will admit its probably heavier than it needs to be, but well built and lots of compartments.
Old 08-22-2021, 08:45 PM

I use a Stone glacier sky archer for day/expedition hunts. Love it, worth the money, insane load hauling comfort, but ya dont leave a $900 pack sitting around.

If you want to do what you have been doing, you’d be better with a badlands or cabelas pack. It’ll probably happen again, no point spending more.
Old 08-23-2021, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
Mystery ranch
Or the one that fits you the best
I agree get one that fits - doesn't matter if you only use it sparingly.

I also think you'll find Mystery Ranch will fit.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 08-23-2021, 07:43 AM

I’ve had Mystery Ranch Metcalf and it was a great pack. Currently using a kifaru pack. Both great packs. Lots of options out there but like others have said try on as many as you can get your hands on and go from there.
Old 08-23-2021, 11:54 AM

I'm running a ln Eberlestock Elk team and absolutely love the versatility of the pack. It is also extremely rugged

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2021, 07:06 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, the last one I had since 83, there have certtainly been lots of changes. As for getting stolen again, it could happen but as I said the vehicle was locked and if they want it they'll get it, and my wife wont let me wear it at night in bed no matter how much I like it.
Old 08-23-2021, 07:50 PM

I went from Blacks Creek Guide Gear Canadian that I had for 15 years to a Mystery Ranch Pintler.

The Blacks Creek was a good pack 20 years ago, but I wanted to try something else out, so I tried on a bunch of packs and settled on the MR Pintler.

Ask around and see who has what and if you can try it on. They all fit a bit different. Try it on with 20-30 lbs set up right and walk up and down stairs etc.

Lots of options out there and the new Blacks Creek are up there with them. Just no dealers in Canada that I know of. But Sandy is a great person to talk to if interested.

Good luck on your choice

Cheers

SS
Old 08-23-2021, 08:45 PM

Love my EXO. Works great for every situation
Old 08-23-2021, 11:00 PM

Rampart has the Mystery Ranch Pintler optifade discounted $140.00 right now if you're looking for a larger (40L) daypack that can haul meat as well for under $500. Very nice pack and frame.

You won't find too many bad reviews on MR unlike some of the big pack names.

Last edited by 270person; 08-23-2021 at 11:29 PM.
Old 08-23-2021, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariouskater View Post
I'm running a ln Eberlestock Elk team and absolutely love the versatility of the pack. It is also extremely rugged

I don’t mind the concept. But that pack frame is really heavy. And I hurt my back hauling out a moose quarter (only about a half mile in) by having that frame rubbing. The scabbard is very cool and works great. It’s certainly rugged as well. Overpriced for its weight though IMO
Old 08-24-2021, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Rampart has the Mystery Ranch Pintler optifade discounted $140.00 right now if you're looking for a larger (40L) daypack that can haul meat as well for under $500. Very nice pack and frame.

You won't find too many bad reviews on MR unlike some of the big pack names.
I just picked up that very pack and love it. Put 50lbs in it today and hit the elliptical, the pack fits and distributes weight incredibly well. The weak link now is definitely not the pack.
Old 08-24-2021, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays toyz View Post
I just picked up that very pack and love it. Put 50lbs in it today and hit the elliptical, the pack fits and distributes weight incredibly well. The weak link now is definitely not the pack.

Rifle?
Old 08-24-2021, 07:41 AM

Lots of good packs out there and everyone has their favorites. Personally I have a few different badlands packs that treat me well

Here is my advice go try them on and make your choice by personal fit combined with quality construction. Not everyone is built they same so the fit that is good for one person may not be good for others

When I was doing a good amount of mountain hunts I watched it happen multiple times where a buddy bought a pack on another’s recommendation only to regret it. I seen one buddy rub part of his lower back raw because of a poor fit. Others had to constantly re adjust. Or the pack dug into their hip or shoulders when under weight

So go try some on and pick what is most comfortable for YOU
Old 08-24-2021, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariouskater View Post

Yep I'm running the same pack and I love it. Just big enough to fit a whole deer in it, yet not too big can still be used as a day pack. And has a sick rifle scabbard.
Old 08-24-2021, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brbpuppy View Post
Yep I'm running the same pack and I love it. Just big enough to fit a whole deer in it, yet not too big can still be used as a day pack. And has a sick rifle scabbard.
The hydro bags on the side are perfect to hold my 2.5 liter bladders as well.

Old 08-24-2021, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Rifle?
Nope. Everything I got last year I could have hit with a shovel so it's the bow until the end of archery moose and probably well beyond.
Old 08-25-2021, 05:22 AM

I have the Badlands 22 have had it for years and probably going to upgrade to a new Badlands newer model
Old 08-28-2021, 04:22 PM

Mystery Ranch Sawtooth. Have put many km's on it over the past two years. It is large enough for a tent, stove, food, and gear for a few days. Also great for single day trips and excellent for packing out a whole animal on your back.