Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-18-2008, 07:31 PM

sleslie, you are gonna love that rig! I have had mine for 6 years or so and pick up no other of my rifles any more. It shoulders like no other and shoots awesome. I have reloaded for it since new and it loves 58grs. of IMR4350 pushing out Hornady 139gr SST ballistic tips.
I have the Swarovski 4-12X50mm monted on er, and absolutely love it. The two make for a unit I will hunt with till I can't hunt anymore...........then I'll sell it to Mountain Guy!

Good luck puttin' a leak in something with it this fall!
Old 06-19-2008, 12:41 PM

'Ram-Crazy' i could not seem to find the Remington Titanium in 280 Rem., maybe i just didn't search hard enough though. I also think that having a 22" barrel would really hurt the ballistics of any of the comparable calibers. And my rifle should weigh in at 6 3/4lbs. which is pretty darn close to yours.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I should have stated that I bought the 270 win. Rem Titanium. I haven't had any problems killing game with it, killed a moose one shot at 205 yards, deer at 300 yards.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubblejumper View Post
And I do notice that you did not respond as to why Swarovski would label an "American made "scope "made in Austria" when it would gain them nothing,and would in fact expose them to charges of false advertising. Even Zeiss assembles the conquest in the USA from European parts and uses a USA label so that they can avoid export taxes and sell the scope for a more competitive price.

Hey again Stub....Mountain Guy did not respond to it as I am the guy who made the statement....the reason I didn't respond was I was gone for a week.

I made the telephone call to Swarovski personally several years ago when I had questions. This was the answer that they gave me.....just a fact. By your tone and conviction I would suggest that you have never made this call and are interjecting your own views on how you see the situation and how you interpret it, but I am telling you that you are wrong. Again, I suggest that you make an inquiry directly with Kindermann or Swarovski as this hole is getting pretty deep......I think Reeve's may be available with a hoe if this goes on much longer.

You can add higher Union prices to to Export Taxes in your reasoning for the lower price of the scopes as well........or at least in the case of Swarovski as this is what they told me. Just out of interest, where does the top of the line Zeiss get assembled?

I'm not sure of the legal ramifications of the Made in Austria but I'm sure Swarovski's "lawyers" thought about it before they made the decision to do so.

As far as advertising....I would rather see the Made in Austria on the side of the scope as opposed to the USA. No political reasoning involved....just know where the best glass comes from....and it is definately not on an American made Leupy....although as far as functionality goes they are fine....but so is Ford.....but it ain't a Porsche.

Sorry to bore all that don't care....PM's are the proper place for this stuff IMO but when questioned in public ya gotta respond in public....sorry for the hijack.

Respectully,

tm
Old 06-23-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubblejumper View Post
Of course unless you have actually made the comparison, you are only assuming that the difference would be very noticeable.I have actually made the comparison and didn't find any significant difference.

As I stated earlier the difference will be on the extreme ends of your shooting light. There is an additional 30+% difference between the surface area of the 42mm and 50mm....the 16% I stated earlier was just the quick math on the diameter.

50mm = 1962.5 sq. mm
42mm = 1384.7 sq. mm

Difference is 577.8 sq. mm of surface area.....does it make a difference....IMO yes it does. I think I'll agree to disagree with you.

tm

Last edited by Tundra Monkey; 06-23-2008 at 10:51 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-03-2008, 08:53 PM

What bases and rings are you guys using on your Weatherby Ultra Lights? I just bought one in 270 Wby mag, and was trying choose bases and rings. I want the highest quality I can get, but all I'm finding is leupold Standard and Talley, and I'm not sure of the quality of talley. I was hoping to find a high quality weaver or picatinny setup.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:30 AM

Hey Dragonjr,

I've got wby rings w/med bases and it fits with a 50 bell. I'm pretty sure they are the meds as the low's would not fit.

I don't think that you'll have issues with talleys

tm
Old 08-04-2008, 10:44 PM

I tried a few different setups before i was happy. First off i went with the leupold bases and rings fit for the rifle, which i found the fit and finish horrible. It seemed like they put absolutely no effort in making the bases fit even reasonably close to where it seemed like they should. So i returned them and ordered lightweight rings and bases from NEAR Manufacturing out of Camrose, which i had read a lot of good stuff about here on this board. When they arrived the one-piece base was so heavy it really made no sense putting it on a lightweight rifle. Also the rings and base were different colors, the base was matte and the rings were closer to glossy than anything else. I still wasn't happy so i returned them and went to Bashaw Sports and picked up a set of Weatherby Talley lightweight rings and bases, which is what i have now and am finally happy.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:44 PM

Just reading your post and thought you would like some feed back. I bought the same rifle last year, markv ultralight, 280rem, tally 1" light weight rings with 3.5-10x40mm leupold vx3 boone and crockett, and absolutely love it, its a tack driver with rem accutips. im taking on this years stone sheep hunt in the spatizzi where we will be hiking for three weeks straight. the rifle with scope is 5 3/4 pounds with scope!!!!! only lighter combo that i have found is the new ultralight arms modle 28, but at 4000 plus dollars no thank you. ive taken over 10 coyotes this year, all standing and over 300 yards verified with range finder, this rifle combo handles awsome and points excelent. best buy ive ever made.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:50 AM

Had to laugh when I saw this one come back....only time I was ever right.

Well mostly right eh Stub

tm