Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-23-2017, 04:59 PM

Question Whitetail Antler Growth

Just curious if anyone could tell me if there is a correlation between early growth and antler size. I have a few pictures on my cams of a couple of bucks with loads of growth and then a few with minimal growth. I am unable to find any information telling me if this means their racks will be larger or if everyone will simply even out as time goes on.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:45 PM

The antlers grow near their final mass. Look for mass early to determine potentially mature bucks. Not saying there could not be a thin buck with lots of length. Some bucks will grow fast and others slow.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:01 AM

I have read an article somewhere ( cant find it again) which also discussed the early antler growth is not only tied to the age and size of the buck, but also tied into the overall health of the animal and its local environment.

Ie. the access to good mineral deposits, food source, etc..

Here is a couple bucks with great potential i'm watching this year.. hope they stick around.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:52 PM

Older mature deer have already developed there skeletal system and can put more nutrients into antler growth so as a rule the mature bucks typically will have there racks develop earlier. However that said genetics, health of animal, available food sources and nutrients will all impact antler development.
If you're seeing some heavy racks developing already I'd be keeping an eye on them for fall
Old 05-24-2017, 06:36 PM

I've found that in a wet year, particularly, a wet May and June, antler growth is larger than in a drought year. Should be good this year.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:16 PM

I like the spread of the brow tines on the further back right side one.. Im fairly certain he was by far the biggest of the Bachelor group I have been watching and shed hunting.

Tags
antler, early season, growth, whitetail