Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-15-2013, 09:26 AM

Default neck die ????

I have a redding series A neck die but I am unsure of how to set it up for neck sizing, any tips and advice would be great....never neck sized only before and thought I would give er a go
Old 01-15-2013, 09:39 AM

Default Neck die

What I do, is I polish a fired case with steel wool so I can see how much of the case is being sized! Slowly turn the die down until you have a bullet diameter sized.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chola View Post
I have a redding series A neck die but I am unsure of how to set it up for neck sizing, any tips and advice would be great....never neck sized only before and thought I would give er a go
There's bugger all to know about a neck sizing die. Set it up the same as your FL sizer. Rotate enough to touch the shell holder, set it in place, raise or lower your decapping pin enough so only 1/8" is visible sticking out. Size away...

If you're finding problems seating bullets such as taking too much effort, shaving copper off the bullets as you seat them, bullets receding into the case itself, then check your neck tension after sizing to make sure the bearing is the correct one.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:15 AM
Banned

It's a neck sizer....no need to candle a case. Follow Shawn's suggestion....
Old 01-15-2013, 10:16 AM
Banned

double post, sorry.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:04 AM

using one of these makes setting up easier, in that you can see where the die stops, and it is a dry lube that is easy to clean off;

http://www.forsterproducts.com/catal...?prodid=701223
Old 01-15-2013, 03:49 PM

I use RCBS dies but doubt if they are any different. I put a sized case that I'm going to reload into the shell holder and run it up into the seating die that has been screwed down till it gently touches the shell holder. Be gentle - you will find that the brass won't easily go all the way into the die. Adjust the seating die body back up till the press just completes it's stroke. Maybe adjust the die a half a revolution further to allow for any slightly longer cases, and then lock down the lock ring. Make sure the seating stem is well out of the way. Take the unprimed, uncharged piece of brass and start a bullet into it. If the press will not seat the bullet as deep as you want, then adjust te seating stem until it does. Then tighten the lock ring. Should be properly adjusted .

Last edited by Dumbo_Dave; 01-15-2013 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Misread OP. Thought he was talking about a seating die.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:55 PM

If the die says on it NECK Sizer, then all you do is screw the die down until it firmly contacts the shell holder. Adjust the decapping pin till it just nicely removes the primer and you are done.
The difference between the F.L. Sizer and the NECK sizer is the diameter of the body of the die. The necks are both tight, but the body on the NECK Sizer is greater to avoid sizing the body of the brass very much - if at all.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbo_Dave View Post
If the die says on it NECK Sizer, then all you do is screw the die down until it firmly contacts the shell holder. Adjust the decapping pin till it just nicely removes the primer and you are done.
The difference between the F.L. Sizer and the NECK sizer is the diameter of the body of the die. The necks are both tight, but the body on the NECK Sizer is greater to avoid sizing the body of the brass very much - if at all.

This was the step I wanted to know about as some resources told me that ya back the die out a 1/4 trun after contacting the shellholder
Old 01-15-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chola View Post
This was the step I wanted to know about as some resources told me that ya back the die out a 1/4 trun after contacting the shellholder
Chola, what this does when using a FL die is also a way to use a FL die as a neck sizer, but one cannot use 1/4 turn as a mandatory number - some dies may use more, some less.
when using a neck die i usually just try to size a caliber width on the neck.
That normally gives me enoug neck tension.
Cat
Old 01-15-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Chola, what this does when using a FL die is also a way to use a FL die as a neck sizer, but one cannot use 1/4 turn as a mandatory number - some dies may use more, some less.
when using a neck die i usually just try to size a caliber width on the neck.
That normally gives me enoug neck tension.
Cat
this is the way to do it the unsized area just under the bullet diameter length is enough larger to some times help center the cartridge in the chamber.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:44 PM

I have a neck size die for my 6BR, I just size about half of the neck, seems to work for me.