Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-12-2013, 04:19 PM

Default Superior customer service at Cabela's

I had a nice experience at Cabela's in Edmonton today. Back on November 27 I was in the store and bought my self a Christmas present, a new Henry Frontier .22WMR rifle. I got it out to the range for the first time last week when the weather was nice and had nothing but trouble with it not extracting spent shells from the chamber. I tried 3 different kinds of ammo with no success. On the box there is a sticker that states Cabela's policy, all firearms sales are final, like every other gun store. I wasn't expecting any help from them. I contacted Henry Repeating Arms and the customer service rep stated that I should take the gun to the dealer and the dealer would arrange to send it back to New Jersey for a warranty repair. Based on my experience with warranty on other brands of guns ( CZ, Ruger and Remington) this sounded OK becasue I wouldn't have to pay for the shipping to the warranty repair center. When I got to the store this morning I explained the situation and showed the emails from Henry to the lady at the customer service desk. She called the gun counter and had a guy from there come to the desk. After I explained the situation again he said "that's way too much hassle, we're not going to do that". Just as my blood was starting to boil he said "how about if we just exchange this gun for a new one?" Needless to say that brought a smile to my face. 30 minutes later I walked out with a new rifle. My thanks to Matt and the other Cabela's staff who looked after me today. I went straight out to the range and put 30 rounds through it and it cycled perfectly.

I just thought I would share this, thinking it would be nice to read something positive about a firearms dealer for a change.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:24 PM

I too have been impressed with them.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:45 PM

Default Cabela's,

I am also quite happy with Cabela's. I have been able to obtain powder and bullets I was having difficulty acquiring anywhere else! Speer Deep Curls as an example. Now, WSS is carrying them too! I have not purchased a firearm there yet. Good prices too!
Old 01-12-2013, 04:48 PM

If it wasn't for their policy about taking your money and then insisting that a clerk has to walk the gun all the way through the doors and then hand it to you outside the store, I might agree.

I bought my first and last rifle there a month ago. After I spend $1,100 in a gun store, I don't want to leave feeling somehow dirty.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:27 PM

sorry that being safe makes you feel dirty i enjoy cabela's service so far but that could change like everywhere else some good some bad
Old 01-12-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
I don't want to leave feeling somehow dirty.
Is Cabela's still recording personal information when you purchase a non restricted?

Sorry, won't support them.

...........oh, and IDNVFH
Old 01-12-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
If it wasn't for their policy about taking your money and then insisting that a clerk has to walk the gun all the way through the doors and then hand it to you outside the store, I might agree.

I bought my first and last rifle there a month ago. After I spend $1,100 in a gun store, I don't want to leave feeling somehow dirty.
X2 First and last gun I buy there. Problem was they had the last one in Edmonton of the one I wanted.
It's a sporting goods store....but it had the feeling that I was being released from jail and they handed me my clothes on the way out. Odd situation Cabelas Canada has going on over there.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:27 PM

Im not overly fuzzy warm about the place.
Im leaning towards supporting my local businessman.
Doesnt mean i would never go back to cabs or bp's just spending less and less time shopping each visit.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 01-12-2013, 07:37 PM
Banned

I have bought a couple of guns there. The last time I asked the guy if he wanted to carry it right to my truck for me.....LOL. I couldn't care less who carries the gun in the store, out of the store, whatever. There was a good selection, I got good service at a competitive price, that is all I really care about.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:55 PM

I have bought rifles at Wholesale Sports and P&D, they both have the same policy as Cabela's, a staff member carries the gun out of the store. If there is another store around that would exchange a defective rifle after a month and half, I haven't heard of it.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:04 PM

I laugh at everyone who gets all butt hurt over having them carry your gun to the front counter. Every gun I've bought in my life has been in the States and every dealer has always taken my new firearm to the checkout for me. Be it Shedhorn, WSS, Cabelas a Pawnshop or even a gunshow. IS it really that big of a deal? I swear some people are overly sensitive!!
Old 01-12-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:

I won't shop there anymore either. The guy there wanted to see my PAL when I tried to buy black powder and .490 round balls. I tried to explain to him that a PAL is not required for those items, but all he said was "Well, that's our policy".

They lost my business & won't be getting it back.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:32 AM

Default Cabelas over wss and bps

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
I laugh at everyone who gets all butt hurt over having them carry your gun to the front counter. Every gun I've bought in my life has been in the States and every dealer has always taken my new firearm to the checkout for me. Be it Shedhorn, WSS, Cabelas a Pawnshop or even a gunshow. IS it really that big of a deal? I swear some people are overly sensitive!!
X2

They can carry my new rifle, the girlfriend can carry all the other crap I manage to buy while rifle shopping..and me, I'll carry my keys and coffee thanks

Cabela's still has more product in stock than any dealer in Calgary, so when I walk into cabela's Edmonton, they usually have me buying a couple things.

Last edited by AMisler; 01-13-2013 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Adding a few ideas
Old 01-13-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:

All the way out? You must be extra threatening! I made it to the polar bears! I too experienced good service, but somehow the policy that only the staff know how to carry a rifle is a little demeaning.

Maybe no one does know how to handle them anymore. It's somewhat of an aberration I suppose to find someone that's competent and comfortable with firearms I guess.

That Canada has a gun culture, is a dirty little secret!
Old 01-13-2013, 08:15 AM

I Think we are all loosing the point of this post. Cabelas EXCHANGED a rifle on the spot when, as stated before is against thier policy and every other store out there. They do have a good selection, good service and will price match any competition in the city.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb985 View Post
I Think we are all loosing the point of this post. Cabelas EXCHANGED a rifle on the spot when, as stated before is against thier policy and every other store out there. They do have a good selection, good service and will price match any competition in the city.
Perhaps. They exchanged one that malfunctioned for me as well. They go out of their way to ensure customer satisfaction.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb985 View Post
There are lots of stores who talk about the good service they provide, or think they provide, and then there are those that just provide it..............and let others talk about it.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Cabelas EXCHANGED a rifle on the spot when, as stated before is against thier policy and every other store out there.
What are you talking about? Cabelas has an advertised 30 day exchange on defective firearms.

They're superior to P&D who are a bunch of A-holes.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage shooter View Post
What are you talking about? Cabelas has an advertised 30 day exchange on defective firearms.

They're superior to P&D who are a bunch of A-holes.
I disagree. I have received nothing but helpful friendly service at p&d. I would rather support the local "small" stores.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMisler View Post
X2

They can carry my new rifle, the girlfriend can carry all the other crap I manage to buy while rifle shopping..and me, I'll carry my keys and coffee thanks

Cabela's still has more product in stock than any dealer in Calgary, so when I walk into cabela's Edmonton, they usually have me buying a couple things.
See now that's how I like to shop
Old 01-13-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attilathecanuk View Post
I disagree. I have received nothing but helpful friendly service at p&d. I would rather support the local "small" stores.
P&D has service, knowledgable staff and good stuff that are on an entirely higher level. Prices might be smidgen higher than Cabelas, I'm not sure and I don't really care until it's noticeable. Selection of gun stuff is way better, although they didn't have the particular one I was looking for lately. Anyway, their staff know an order of magnitude more than Cabelas staff. And they manage to stay friendly to boot.

I know this much: If P&D relocated to the same mall as Cabelas is in, they'd clean up. The store is often crowded now - and it's in the most gawd awful out of the way place with barely ok parking.

Yeah, I know.....he owns the building. Sell it. Clean up.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
P&D has service, knowledgable staff and good stuff that are on an entirely higher level. Prices might be smidgen higher than Cabelas, I'm not sure and I don't really care until it's noticeable. Selection of gun stuff is way better, although they didn't have the particular one I was looking for lately. Anyway, their staff know an order of magnitude more than Cabelas staff. And they manage to stay friendly to boot.

I know this much: If P&D relocated to the same mall as Cabelas is in, they'd clean up. The store is often crowded now - and it's in the most gawd awful out of the way place with barely ok parking.

Yeah, I know.....he owns the building. Sell it. Clean up.
I shop at P&D as well, not a lot, as it is quite a bit out of the way for me, but I have had good service when I went there. I think the fact that they have survived with a smaller inventory, like other smaller shops (The Fishin' Hole) says something about the qualitiy of staff and service they provide.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:37 PM

One thing about P&D...when it comes to stock on ammo, powder, and bullets to reload....they almost always have what I am looking for.

LC
Old 01-13-2013, 07:01 PM

Dianne is intolerably rude. It makes the rest all worthless.

They record your personal info durin a firearm sale while WSS south does not.

If you have a defective firearm at p&d you're out of luck. Cabellas gives a 30 day exchange on defective firearms.

P&d won't even let you feel the trigger before you drop $$$$ on a firearm. Even cabelas will let you do this, they just have to take you over to the gun library.

I find nothing appealing at p&d whatsoever. I swore I wod never go back after dealing with Dianne's condescending and rude attitude.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:07 PM

Maybe sometime in the next century Cabela's will get some decent gun cleaning supplies!
Old 01-13-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage shooter View Post
Dianne is intolerably rude. It makes the rest all worthless.

They record your personal info durin a firearm sale while WSS south does not.

If you have a defective firearm at p&d you're out of luck. Cabellas gives a 30 day exchange on defective firearms.

P&d won't even let you feel the trigger before you drop $$$$ on a firearm. Even cabelas will let you do this, they just have to take you over to the gun library.

I find nothing appealing at p&d whatsoever. I swore I wod never go back after dealing with Dianne's condescending and rude attitude.
I would not argue with you about her at all. However, I rarely see her out serving customers anymore, and you could always avoid her, which is what I have always done.

I think the moral of the story is that your best chance of receiving an exchange of a problem firearm is with Cabelas.

I bought a semi-auto shotgun at Cabelas last spring. I shot a handdful of boxes without a hiccup during the 30 day warranty period. During the summer she began to FTE and FTF. Gun was cleaned meticulously. When I discussed this with Cabelas, they gave me the manufacturer's contact info, asked me to go through their channels, and if the issue wasn't resolved, they would look after me.

Hard to argue with that.

As for carrying guns to the door, within the last year I have purchased from WSS north and south, Cabelas, and P & D. They all carried it to the door, but then P & D's cash register is already at the door.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:22 PM

I don't get the sadness of some guys wanting to carry their own gun to the door?....

I bought a bow @ WSS in Calgary and they carried it to the door for me.....big deal

LC
Old 01-13-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagalaz View Post
I won't shop there anymore either. The guy there wanted to see my PAL when I tried to buy black powder and .490 round balls. I tried to explain to him that a PAL is not required for those items, but all he said was "Well, that's our policy".

They lost my business & won't be getting it back.
Where you wearing a turbin?

"Maybe sometime in the next century Cabela's will get some decent gun cleaning supplies!"

I agree 100%

Savage LTWT Hunter 111 - 6.5x284 Norma
Old 01-13-2013, 07:43 PM

I would like to tell you about m experience recently with cabelas. I recently bought. Savage 25 in a .204 ruger and never had time to shoot it till last week. The bolt was sticking and would not open on factory ammo. Six miss fires on 60 loads. Phoned ahead of time explaining my problem. My reciept was dated over fourty days. Walked in talked to gun counter and they paid me in cash. I even asked for a in store credit and they insisted in giving me my money back. I thought of buying a different gun in same caliber, they did not have what I wanted . But I do know where I will buy if from. Great service for a box store. P&d is a great store but I have not been backed by them like this. Even though after 12 firearms purchased through them I still feel like a number.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baptiste_moose View Post
Where you wearing a turbin?
Huh?