Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-12-2013, 03:43 PM

Default Thorncliffe gun show!! who got what?

Pretty good show today, busiest i have seen there.

Haggled on all of the deals today
Got a Marlin over under 12gauge beater truck gun, an open bolt 22 Gevarm target model, Winchester 150 lever 22 and a custom job combo 22/12

Always is a laugh to see the old Estonian man in the back telling you how rare everything is thats why his prices are higher.

Don't know whatsup with the neo nazi and there dolls for sale but to each there own
Old 01-12-2013, 03:51 PM

Default Cooey Model 60 Stock / 22 L ammo

Pretty happy with the stock I bought today. I wanted to try refinishing my father's old cooey, but I didn't want to risk it without a backup stock. Now I have one!

Also, I picked up some 22 Long ammo at a good price to use in this gun:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=162717
Old 01-12-2013, 04:16 PM

dominion or imperial 22 long? yellow box? i think i seen that for sale aswell
Old 01-12-2013, 04:46 PM

I got a good deal on some factory ammo - Leupold VX2 3x9 scope and most importantly a front sight hood for my Win 94
Old 01-12-2013, 04:49 PM

Default What a Zoo

I got a 1/2 block of primers I needed and that was it. An elderly man in a blue stetson was pushing through the crowd and was accidently hitting people on the head with an old sporterized (Bubba'ed) WW1 3006 that he was carrying uncased over his shoulder. I didn't see a trigger lock, although I was trying not to be his next victim. He apparently was there to sell it to a vendor.

I have no idea if he had it loaded or not. When he unslung the rifle and thrust it across the table at the unsuspecting vendor "make me an offer I can't refuse" the bolt was never opened. That was it for me.

I may be too old for this sort of thing, a larger venue may improve the experience.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosman177 View Post

Got a Marlin over under 12gauge beater truck gun, an open bolt 22 Gevarm target model, Winchester 150 lever 22 and a custom job combo 22/12

Always is a laugh to see the old Estonian man in the back telling you how rare everything is thats why his prices are higher.

Don't know whatsup with the neo nazi and there dolls for sale but to each there own
Does he still have that 280. flare gun ? been trying to sell it for two years. Listened to him pitching it to a couple of guys in Rocky last year. Even hinted it could be converted to fire shot shells. Bought a new one just like it from SRC for 40. Gotta wonder why they allow the neo Nazi types ?

Grizz
Old 01-12-2013, 05:20 PM

Default just a little envious

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosman177 View Post

I look at gunshows but never see a 150 Win .22lr,good find!!!

-Teddy Roosevelt
Old 01-12-2013, 05:37 PM

Default thorncliff

What was with the gate this morning? Did I mis-read the 9:30 start time, or was it just that much of a ****e-show getting everyone's money? Never seen the line-up like this before. Not as bad as the spring show, but then again you dont normally wait outside at the roundup center either.
Once inside, the aisles were shoulder to shoulder with people. Dont even get me going about what happens when old friends meet in the middle of an already crowded aisle and try to catch up
The whole event finally started to smooth out after about two hours, where you could walk the aisle without feeling like you were being molested.
As usual, some(most actually) of the prices were high on everything, but if you knew what you were looking for, and the going rate, you could actually find a few deals. After going to so many of these shows, a lot of the dealers are like old friends. Many of them remember you and cut a little slack on the price, sometimes just a vain attempt to sell me something else that I really dont need!
By the time I left, I did bring home another safe queen. A Darne sxs manufactured in 1936 with upgraded wood and engraving. 24 LPI checkering. The pistol grip section of the straight english stock, is embarassingly slim, and there is a modern butt-pad added, not necessary for the slight 16 gauge recoil, but to stretch the length of pull to a total 14 and 1/2 inches. The forcing cones have been lengthened to allow standard 2 3/4" ammo by Ralph Martini of Martini and Hagn fame. The whole package should scale out at just over five pounds.
I wont disclose the actual purchase price (my wife has been known to log on), lets just say it was considerable less than the asking price, and about fifteen hundered less from where I could find any listed in the states. I left happy, and would have to say that in spite of the initial short-comings, it was another successful show.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:33 PM

Default 30-06 sizing dies

I was looking at 30-06 sizing dies. At WSS or Basspro, they're $39.99 but at the show they were asking between $45 and $60. Any reason for this? Are the newer dies of less quality? The prices at the show were pretty consistent so I feel like there's a reason for the higher prices on older dies.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:34 PM

Darne you Oldgutpile, you seem to scoop up all the deals!!
Cat
Old 01-13-2013, 11:00 AM
Banned

You'll get a chuckle as to why I did not attend. I don't get flu shots, never have, simply take precautionary measures to avoid it, and so far it works. Such a crowd is a good place to catch it. But my friend and neighbour just acquired a nice .223rem. He picked up 400 pcs. of 1x fired brass, mixed Win and Rem for $60.00, amongst other things like scopes, rings, etc. And I know this fellow won't buy most used things unless he felt like he stole it. Start the car.....
Old 01-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
I was looking at 30-06 sizing dies. At WSS or Basspro, they're $39.99 but at the show they were asking between $45 and $60. Any reason for this? Are the newer dies of less quality? The prices at the show were pretty consistent so I feel like there's a reason for the higher prices on older dies.
First you need to consider caliber. 30-06 dies everything else being equal should likely be cheaper than more exotic calibers due to their popularity. Then you need to factor in the manufacturer, don't expect tp pay the same for a set of Redding or Wilson as you would for Lee as an example. And then factor in that the gunshow price may have that "haggle" factor built in. Generally, if you offer to buy more than a single item, you might be able to squeeze the price down. Sometimes when you get close to the final hour, that may work a bit oin your favour also. And of course, there are those sellers that are just unreasonable about their price. It's good to know ahead of time what you want/need and know it's true value.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:37 AM

If people who want to get tables to actually sell guns and don't because the Nazi Doll vendors occupied one or more, I see a problem.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:52 PM

Got a pink stock for a 10/22, at $150 probably paid a bit more than I should, tried to haggle the guy with the scoped 10/22, best he could do was remove the scope and knock $25 off the price. He can bite my hairy scots butt at that price, I'd rather buy new. Now my daughter has my 10/22. I did giggle at all the nazi stuff, okay they had some nice kit in the day, but they were and still are a bunch of losers, my old grandpa chased them out of Africa, and out of Scicily and Italy, and even Austria, he never mentioned if he had help, but knowing him he wouldn't have needed it, though the company would have been nice. I too was pee'd off at the cluster at opening time, but I wasn't alone. I think all the deals to be had were had before joe public got in.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:02 PM

Guy at the front insisted that they always started at 10:00. So I informed him that maybe they should change the start time on their website. Someone piped in that some vendors were late. Really? They should have just made an anouncement that they were going to open late.
Had a hard time looking at stuff due to the amount of people around. Didn't find the parts I wanted, but it was nice to see some of the guns being sold.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:43 AM

I was looking for new Winchester .243win brass and picked up everything but what I was looking for. A few books, gun cleaning mats, some primers off a fellow AO member, bullets, backpack...

By far the two best things were the Berger reloading manual and 6mm 105gr Berger Hybrids.