Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-08-2013, 09:42 PM

Default 338 lapua rifle?

hey guys, me and my old man have been thinking about a 338 lapua lately and im wordering if you guys have any insight on what rifle to get. savage 110 BA, armalite ar-30, sako trg-42. Can you get the barrett model 98b in canada? just wondering what is probably the best option?
Old 01-08-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskaman View Post
hey guys, me and my old man have been thinking about a 338 lapua lately and im wordering if you guys have any insight on what rifle to get. savage 110 BA, armalite ar-30, sako trg-42. Can you get the barrett model 98b in canada? just wondering what is probably the best option?
I have the 110 ba. Expensive ammo is all I'll say
Old 01-08-2013, 09:48 PM

I'd go for a savage if you're just wanting to give it a try. I hope you reload. I have a REM 700 MLR that I'm just finally getting going. Optics are gonna be your next big choice. So easy to blow a big wad with these guns.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:52 PM

i was also wondering what a good choice for optics would be. looked at leopulds and nightforces, what would be a good choice for a 338?
Old 01-08-2013, 09:59 PM

Nightforce before Leo, but after SB. I went with that newer big tube Bushnell with the GDMR ret because it was what I could afford(had been saving for a SB but was getting tired of waiting) and is very good bang for the buck, excellent glass. Near 30 MOA base.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:17 AM

The Barret M98B is at Cabelas in Edmonton. I had the Remington XCR II 2049$and was geting just over half inche groups at 200yds with factory ammo! It's worth a look into.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:47 AM

I have the 110 BA, it is a really good platform for the $2000 mark. Great if you're looking at entry level .338LM. My next will be a custom though... The 110 is great, just so you know, Hornady brass and the 110 chambers have more issues then it's worth. If you go with a 110, use Lapua or Nosler brass. Like carver77 said, "I hope you reload"... Factory match ammo is big denero. I've held a few conversations with Rick at ATRS in Calgary about Lapua brass, he's on his 36th reload without annealing... Handloading has drastically reduced the cost to feed this bunker buster.

I started with a Leupold Mark 4 and sold it to replace with a Nightforce. So far, it seems that the glass quality is about par, until you hit max magnification, then the Nightforce takes over. I especially like some of the features the NF has over the Mark 4. Also, they are very close in price.

I've also replaced the pistol grip with a Magpul grip and put an ATRS 30MOA base on it rather than that gawdy hunk of aluminum that comes with the 110 BA. I replaced the factory muzzle break as well, not that it was needed, just 'cause...

skinny
And spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:34 AM

I been shooting a customized M700 MLR in 338 Lapua with a NF NXS for several years now. I have reloaded for it from day 1, otherwise, it's stupid how expensive factory ammo is. I'll also admit it is mostly a safe queen - I have found it is just too big for anything under 1000 yards, so if you don't have a range with that kind of distance, there are way better (read: affordable) alternatives to the 338 LM. If I was considering a 338 LM again, I would not hesitate to buy the Savage Model 110 FCP HS Precision Rifle in 338 Lapua Mag for ~ $1400, and spend the "savings$$" on optics and reloading supplies. Reports indicate the savage will easily shoot sub MOA. If it turns out that you love the 338, the Savage is easily upgradeable or you can sell it and reinvest that money into a higher end factory rig or a full custom. If you find it's not your cup of tea, then at least you didn't sink a ton of money into it and the savage will still provide 338 LM fun and have good resale value.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskaman View Post
what a good choice for optics would be. looked at leopulds and nightforces, what would be a good choice for a 338?
I use Leupold VX3 and never had a problem with it. When i wanted my 338 lapua i looked at the Sako Trg 42.. but that piece of gun is lot of $ and wont shoot better than a custom... The 110Ba is a big gun but i dont like shooting it on the bench and its not made for hunting lol... The remington police on the other hand is a nice gun and shoot lazer beams !.. would been my pick if i didnt go custom.. but i do not regret my move ... my 338 lapua shoot 1 inch or less at 300 yards. If you want a lapua for hunting and shooting.. remington police or custom.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:12 PM

i have the 700p. it is a great rifle. threw on a nightforce 8-32x56. look up wolverine supplies in virden mb. theyre gret. they also sell accuracy international 338's
Old 01-12-2013, 10:52 AM

I have an NF on mine. Love it. Safe queen. Too big to hunt with. Blows **** up....lol
Old 01-15-2013, 10:05 AM

I shoot a 98B and its for sale for a good price if you're interested i think i want to get into 50s shoot me a PM if you'd like

Its an awesome gun! super smooth no issues what so ever