Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-03-2013, 12:28 AM

Default The best bolt action

I'm curious. What is the best bolt action out there and why. I'm open to all interpretations ( for the money, best ever, smoothest, most accurate, best ergonomics, most reliable ). What and why. If and when you get into issues like what side of 1964 you're on, I wouldn't mind hearing what is the reason for the change in quality as you see it.

Thanks.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:45 AM

i shoot browning abolt and rem 700 but to my opinion is the the Sako action is the easyist and smoothest action out there today in your standard production rifles.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:24 AM

Sako hands down, and yes I am BIASED !!! Sako has different action sizes based on the caliber. Never an issue with my Sako m75ss 300WM I bought new back in 1997. This rifle was my only rifle till the rifle bu bit in 2004 (except for an old 30-30). Hunted hard with this rifle. Best fit and feel IMO. Maybe thats way I recently just bought a mint Sako m75ss 270WSM in the SM action.

Next for silky smooth action is a Tikka T3. Great shooters, I have 2, actually 1 now as I sold one to my bro-in-law so I could buy the Sako.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:03 AM
Banned

I don't own a sako, I've only played with them a little bit so I can't say if they are the best, but from what I've heard the bolt on cooper is fairly similar. I'm a fan of the Mark V action, silky smooth, bullet proof and a 54 degree throw. From a reloaders perspective it's a bit comforting having the strength of the Mark V action when looking for a hot rod load. I like the action on the cooper as well with a 60 degree throw and a tight smooth action, the lift however gets a bit stiff after you pull the trigger. This would probably not be an issue while hunting, after all it's a Cooper so one shot is all you'll need to take right?

Strength, short throw, and smooth actions do it for me.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:05 AM

I would have to give a 3rd vote to Sako. Love mine, dont think I will sell any of them. The rest of my rifles are always for sale.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:12 AM

Savage Axis.
Ya, Ok.
It was given to me, ha.

TBark
Old 01-03-2013, 09:17 AM

Weatherby Mark V has the best action.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerparts View Post
I'm curious. What is the best bolt action out there and why. I'm open to all interpretations ( for the money, best ever, smoothest, most accurate, best ergonomics, most reliable ). What and why. If and when you get into issues like what side of 1964 you're on, I wouldn't mind hearing what is the reason for the change in quality as you see it.

Thanks.
Best buy for the money, Savage 110
Best ever, Sako 75 /Cooper
Smoothest, Colt Sauer/Voere Titan II
Most accurate, Kleingunther K 15/Cooper
Best ergonomics, Remington 700
Most reliable, Winchester control round feed(or pre 64)

These are in my humble opinion of course. I have owned all of the above (except the Colt Sauer) at one time.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:40 AM

I really like te lee enfield action for a deer rifle, chambered of course, in 303 British.
it will also handle many of the wildcats as well, but it is a weaker action, for sure.
The Sako TRG action is avery strong and accurate, abd i particularly likete shultz and Larsen , however it's a rear locking lug action and many consider it weak.
For a small bore center fire my choice would be the Anshutz for smothness and accuracy, another rear locking lug action.
The fastes action for lock time ( it may stoill be) and ver dsesirable back in the day for BR shooting, was the Remington 788- anothe rrear locker!!
Cat
Old 01-03-2013, 09:44 AM

Sauer S 202 Elegance is a real nice piece!

http://sauerrifles.co.uk/14-s-202-elegance

Sauer makes some of the most amazing bolt action rifles I can think of!
Old 01-03-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I really like te lee enfield action for a deer rifle, chambered of course, in 303 British.
it will also handle many of the wildcats as well, but it is a weaker action, for sure.
The Sako TRG action is avery strong and accurate, abd i particularly likete shultz and Larsen , however it's a rear locking lug action and many consider it weak.
For a small bore center fire my choice would be the Anshutz for smothness and accuracy, another rear locking lug action.
The fastes action for lock time ( it may stoill be) and ver dsesirable back in the day for BR shooting, was the Remington 788- anothe rrear locker!!
Cat
I like your list Cat, i just picked up a Shultz and Larsen 68DL and an Anshutz rim fire, both are dandy actions and very smooth as well. I also like the 788 Rem, i had a couple over the years and in moments of madness sold them.

Leo
Old 01-03-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
I like your list Cat, i just picked up a Shultz and Larsen 68DL and an Anshutz rim fire, both are dandy actions and very smooth as well. I also like the 788 Rem, i had a couple over the years and in moments of madness sold them.

Leo
Their 54 action is the same for the 22LR match and sporting rifles as it is for the .222 remingtin, 22 hornet, etc, except for the firing pin geometry!
Is you Anschutz the 54 or 64?
54 has the wing safety like the Mauser '98, 64 has it on the side like a Timney, 700, etc....
Cat
Old 01-03-2013, 09:50 AM

Model 1400 Anshutz. I picked it up at the last Edmonton gun show for about 1/2 of what they usually sell for, and it shoots.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:53 AM

I'm a big fan of CRF bolt actions so my choices would be:

Ruger 77 Mk II
Winchester Mdl 70

Nothing in the world wrong with PF actions but CRF is where it's at.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:01 AM

Weatherby Mark V hands down for me, I have a few of them. I think the A-Bolt Browning would be my second choice, some out there that I've never handled though.

-Craig
Old 01-03-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Model 1400 Anshutz. I picked it up at the last Edmonton gun show for about 1/2 of what they usually sell for, and it shoots.
Ah, that's neither the 64 nor the 54 action, IIRC C.I.L. sold them as their model 125.
Here's a bunch of bolt actions, the Annie54 .222 is on the far left,TRGS for 338 Lapua, RemingtonM37 Annie64 is in the middle, the annie 54 rimfire next to it Then the big Strella - a russion match rifle 22 with its huge center lugs, and on the far right, a Walther 22 match rifle bolt.

Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 01-03-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:19 AM

Talking all around....cooper and weatherby hands down in North america!!

.......if your looking for some accurate junk,just by a savage

Flame suit on
Old 01-03-2013, 10:23 AM

I would go for all around....Mark V action. It may not be the smoothest, lightest, or best looking.....but you would be hard pressed to find a tougher action.

LC
Old 01-03-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Talking all around....cooper and weatherby hands down in North america!!

.......if your looking for some accurate junk,just by a savage

Flame suit on
If I'm heading into a match, I don't care what people all it, i'd rather win with junk that look good !
Cat
Old 01-03-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Ah, that's neither the 64 nor the 54 action, IIRC C.I.L. sold them as their model 125.
Here's a bunch of bolt actions, the Annie54 .222 is on the far left,TRGS for 338 Lapua, RemingtonM37 Annie64 is in the middle, the annie 54 rimfire next to it Then the big Strella - a russion match rifle 22 with its huge center lugs, and on the far right, a Walther 22 match rifle bolt.

Cat
What is the second from the right? I've not seen an action with dove tails that tapered before.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
What is the second from the right? I've not seen an action with dove tails that tapered before.
That is the bolt for m Streyla match rifle, a humongous Russion match rifle in .22LR that has lugs almost as large as the TRG bolt has for the 338 Lapua!!

Cat
Old 01-03-2013, 10:43 AM

The K98 mauser,reliable,strong and sexy.

-Teddy Roosevelt
Old 01-03-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshell View Post
The K98 mauser,reliable,strong and sexy.
I sure like the '98 as well, basicall the mother of all modern cock on opening actions!
Cat
Old 01-03-2013, 12:11 PM

the finest bolt action ever made was the Carl Gustaf in my humble opinion.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:47 PM

I have gone to the Weatherby MKV for sure. I have had many over the years and they are strong and smooth. I really like Mauser 98's and a few other CRF actions too.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 01-03-2013, 01:16 PM

I would have to vote Tikka, I have shot Sako and still find Tikka better. IMO

Lethal Prostaff Member
Canadian Waterfowl Prostaff Member
Sillosock Prostaff Member
Pure Gold Chokes Prostaff Member
Lynch Mob Calls Prostaff Member
Wolverine Guns and Tackle
Old 01-03-2013, 01:57 PM

So basically what most of you are saying is that the Mauser action is the best.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:21 PM

I rate my Sauer and MkV actions at the top of the heap for smoothness and safety. The Schultz&Larsen actions did not like hot loads and I don't like small ports for top loading and unloading. The 788's I had did not operate smoothly during fast cycling and tended to bind. The Sako and Tikkas are very smooth but I found the extractors can get damaged during hot reloads. I like the nice large bolts that the Browning have and the new X-Bolts are smooth.The M98 actions are strong and reliable for extraction but kind of sloppy , though I do like the Parker Hales.. Oops I did't mention the 700's, ok now I did.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:45 PM

i find that the one that puts a smile on your face every time is the best bolt, no matter what name is stamped on it. when i can beat a guy that shoots a $3000 walther with a cil 190 ($400), i smile every time. same as when i can pull out a savage 111 and beat my buddies $900 remington, i smile. smiling is healthy. if i use an expensive gun and beat them, i still smile. if they beat me with my gun, then i smile a little less, but still smile.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderal View Post
I rate my Sauer and MkV actions at the top of the heap for smoothness and safety. The Schultz&Larsen actions did not like hot loads and I don't like small ports for top loading and unloading. The 788's I had did not operate smoothly during fast cycling and tended to bind. The Sako and Tikkas are very smooth but I found the extractors can get damaged during hot reloads. I like the nice large bolts that the Browning have and the new X-Bolts are smooth.The M98 actions are strong and reliable for extraction but kind of sloppy , though I do like the Parker Hales.. Oops I did't mention the 700's, ok now I did.
My buddy had his S&L loading port opened up, I'm not sure why they made them that small!
Cat