Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-11-2012, 10:16 PM

Default Mounting a scope on a sako 85

I just bought a sako 85s in a 308win cal. I have a vortex 4x16x44 scope. I know I need 30mm rings. But what bases do I need. The manual says optilock, that is fine but what is the short, long etc about. Is that referring to the action? And how high a ring do I need?

Seems kind of complicated. Thanks for any help.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:31 PM

Just pick up a set of Leupold Ringmounts, and you will have just as strong of a mounting system, for a lot less money. They also don't require bases.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:44 PM

The rails on this rifle are tapered. Will those rings work? I did some searching online and guys are complaining how much the bases cost and what's a cheaper option etc. But from I found for pricing optilock bases are about 70 bucks and the rings about the same. If I just spent 1700 bucks on a gun what's the big deal on spending another $140. This is what I'm not getting.Is their some kind of outrageously priced mounting system I don't see?

Last edited by michaelmicallef; 12-11-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:51 PM

You just bought a Sako, I'd spend the extra money and go with the opti-lock's. As for the height of the rings, I'm not sure. I would think a medium would work with the 44mm but you might want to ask someone where you're buying them what will work with your scope. Hope this helps.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:53 PM

I have an 85 in an M action, I have the long bases on that rifle. Not sure if this helps you out or not.

Joey
Old 12-11-2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
The rails on this rifle are tapered. Will those rings work?
They are specifically made to fit the tapered Sako dovetails.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreland View Post
You just bought a Sako, I'd spend the extra money and go with the opti-lock's. As for the height of the rings, I'm not sure. I would think a medium would work with the 44mm but you might want to ask someone where you're buying them what will work with your scope. Hope this helps.
So how much did you have to pay for the optilock bases and rings?
Old 12-11-2012, 11:05 PM

One other thing I am wondering about as I read the manual is ...what the heck is that round door knob looking thing for? It came in the box with the rifle. Is it a Door knob from the sako factory that got into the box by mistake. I know your thinking I'm the door knob. Lol
Old 12-11-2012, 11:09 PM

http://www.sako.fi/optilockproducts.php?basesrings

This link has a little info.

The scope mount bases are available in four models for Sako and two for Sako TRG-22/42 rifles. Choice of right base model depends on action length, scope tube length and eyerelief that is needed.

I would place a call into a dealer, I had mine set up where I bought it, or I would be in the same boat as you. Good luck.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:29 PM

The Optilock bases are designed for their short, med and long actions.

Short is for 308 etc.

Long for the 30-06 etc.

Extended for the 7mm mag etc.

The ring base combo is higher than most would expect considering how other companies compare. I have read that the extra low will accommodate a 44 mil but have not tried it myself. I have tried the low on a 42 mil and there was lots of clearance.

I went with the one piece Optilock in low and they are perfect for 42 mil and my check weld. They are not nearly as bulky and heavy as the two piece system and just look cleaner IMO.

If you can get into a store that will allow you to experiment that would be ideal. There seems to be a consensus that a scope should be mounted as close to touching the barrel as possible. This is BS as each person has a check weld that comes up natural and is solid depending on the drop of the particular rifle they are shooting. With the McMillan hunter edge stock I have on mine I needed the scope nearly 1/8 th inch off the barrel to to come up perfect and solid. Mine is in 30-06 and this rifle would loosen your teeth if you really had to force your face on to the stock.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:41 PM

Ok, things are making sense now. The one piece ring mount is what everyone is saying is so pricey. Ok I will take the gun to WSS and see what they can do for mounts. I bouhgt the scope from there and they said they would mount it. Any idea about that mystery object that came in the box, I previously made mention of?
Old 12-11-2012, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
Ok, things are making sense now. The one piece ring mount is what everyone is saying is so pricey. Ok I will take the gun to WSS and see what they can do for mounts. I bouhgt the scope from there and they said they would mount it. Any idea about that mystery object that came in the box, I previously made mention of?
It is for dis assembly of the bolt.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:45 AM

I have a long action 85 (25-06). 42mm objective mounted with 30mm xtra low rings there is plenty of room with these rings for a 44mm obj. The one thing i have noticed with the 85's is when you cycle the bolt after firing the brass ejects high out of the port and the case neck hits the bottom of the scope denting the case neck and marking the scope. I do not know if the short action does the same as i do not own one. but it might not with the shorter case lenght.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:09 AM
Gone Hunting

I would try Optilocs Ringmounts.
They come only Low in 1" and 30 mm but they fit all actions and
they have plastic inserts and this will protect scope from ring marks and they align your scope without lapping.
If you have few Sako's it would be easy to migrate one expensive scope between them regardless of action lenght.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 12-12-2012, 08:30 AM

Default Optilocks vs Leupold Ringmounts

I went through a very similar situation myself. I started with the Leupold Ringmounts on my Sako 85 300 wsm. The price was right and they seemed really solid to me. After lapping the rings and installing my tried and true Leupold VX II 3X9 I headed to the range to see if the gun would perform the 5 shot sub moa group that Sako guarantees... no dice. After fiddling with the gun and rings for a couple weeks I bought and installed the optilock rings and... you guessed it, the gun shot sub moa groups.

There's a thread here on AO that talks about what I went through:
http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=130761

Long story short, if you're not trying to save a couple bucks just buy the Optilocks. They're dead simple to install, they work well and they'll look great on your rifle.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
I went through a very similar situation myself. I started with the Leupold Ringmounts on my Sako 85 300 wsm. The price was right and they seemed really solid to me. After lapping the rings and installing my tried and true Leupold VX II 3X9 I headed to the range to see if the gun would perform the 5 shot sub moa group that Sako guarantees... no dice. After fiddling with the gun and rings for a couple weeks I bought and installed the optilock rings and... you guessed it, the gun shot sub moa groups.

There's a thread here on AO that talks about what I went through:
http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=130761

Long story short, if you're not trying to save a couple bucks just buy the Optilocks. They're dead simple to install, they work well and they'll look great on your rifle.
You seem to be implying that the Leupold rings were the problem, yet you admitted yourself, that you don't know what the problem was. In fact, you had concluded that the rings were not a factor.From your own summary post.

Quote:
Yes, the horizontal stringing issue is resolved and I'm sorry to say that I didn't test each change to see which was the root of the problem.

I had a real bee in my bonnet to get this resolved and with the Spruce Grove gun range closed for maintenance I just kept tinkering. I'd be happy to provide a break down of what I thought was the issue but, having made so many changes at once, it would be mostly speculation. PM if you want the long winded version but here's a summary of what I thought made the difference:

Adjusting trigger pull and practicing - 60%
Cleaning and re-installing the action - 30%
Cleaning copper fouling out of the barrel crown - 10%
Change out scope rings - 0%
Old 12-12-2012, 09:43 AM

Buy the Otilocks either in the Rignmounts - if you can find them or the Rings/bases set up. I have both styles on my Sako m75 rifles. All my scopes are 40mm OBJ Leupolds so I use the 1" rings.

The m85-308 rifle is in the SMALL (S) action size.

The 30mm Rings in low with the Short or Long bases will work fine.

The Ringmount style are SWEET!!
Old 12-12-2012, 09:54 AM

Default The doorknob

The doorknob looking thing is a tool used to take your bolt apart, all explained in the user manual. Cheers Roscoe
Old 12-12-2012, 11:00 AM

2 Pics:
One with Optilock Low rings and bases set up on my m75ss 243

Optilock Low-Ringmounts-they were stainless but powdercoated to match scope and other work on my m75 Greywolf 338-06 Ackley Improved.

All my other Sako m75 rifles are the R & B setup. Same with a couple Tikka T3 rifles. Bought my first Sako m75 rifle back in 1997 (ss300WM) with Optilock rings and bases ...never an issue to this day with scope movement/zeroing, as this is my main rifle.

Buy what fits and works. Its like buying a Leupold scope and then putting on the Bulter Creek flipups instead of the Leupold Alumina Flipup magnetic covers....just my opinion.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:25 PM

I have a 85 Finnlite with a Leupold VX2 and I used the extra low optilok rings. They are not cheap but why not buy some good rings and bases to top a nice gun...
Old 12-12-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
So how much did you have to pay for the optilock bases and rings?
$97 for the rings and bases were $66. Check it out on Wholesale Sports website.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:55 AM
Banned

resurrecting the thread.

Lots of good info on this thread but I wanted to resurrect it to see if I can gather any additional info. I just bought a Sako 85 in 30.06 and I want to mount my Zeiss 3-9x40 scope on it. I went to the sako site and Long Bases with Extra Low Rings should work. What concerns me is the one post that I read about the ejected casings hitting on the scope and I'm wondering if anyone else has had issues like that. I'd like to get the scope objective as close as possible to the barrel but if it means that ejected casings are going to bounce off of my scope then I'd rather move up to a low set of rings. I'm not too concerned about hurting my cheek when I shoot.

Any and all info would be appreciated.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:18 AM

Optilock short bases & extra low 30mm optilock rings will have lots of clearance with 44mm scope. I have that setup, it could even be lower,but that is low as optilock make.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:36 AM

For me I had a pr of "Extra-Low" rings I tried for Leupold scope with 40mm OBJ, and didnt like the way the rifle shouldered. replaced with "LOW".

Never had issues with ejection of spent casings but I shoot the model 75 rifles. Seen this post on other forums about this issue. maybe do a search here on AO and on CGN for more info.

Ty maybe talking to the guys at P & D Enterprises, they might have some insight to help.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:15 AM

I would spend the extra cash and buy the optiloc rings and bases. As for the height I used the extra low with my 3x9x40. The lower you can mount your scope the better.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
resurrecting the thread.

Lots of good info on this thread but I wanted to resurrect it to see if I can gather any additional info. I just bought a Sako 85 in 30.06 and I want to mount my Zeiss 3-9x40 scope on it. I went to the sako site and Long Bases with Extra Low Rings should work. What concerns me is the one post that I read about the ejected casings hitting on the scope and I'm wondering if anyone else has had issues like that. I'd like to get the scope objective as close as possible to the barrel but if it means that ejected casings are going to bounce off of my scope then I'd rather move up to a low set of rings. I'm not too concerned about hurting my cheek when I shoot.

Any and all info would be appreciated.
I've never noticed this problem Dave. I know you reload so you will want to save your brass. Having said that........you probably are not really aggressive with working the bolt. I open the bolt slowly.......you can appreciate the smoothness of the Sako action, and let the brass eject onto the bench or close to it.....rather than agressively working the bolt and flinging brass 10 feet away. Yeah.......I've never noticed brass hitting my scope. Mind you I have optilock bases and low rings......not extra low. Scope is the same as yours (if you are putting the Zeiss on it).
Old 01-14-2013, 10:46 AM

Default Opti lok

Designed for the rifle. Measurements and scope sizes very clear on the website. Have them for all 3 of mine. Well worth the money. Will be putting them on Sako # 4. Found 2 sets on the buy and sell or CGN EE. But would pay full price if I had to.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:15 PM

I ended up with Optilock rings and bases. The only problem I have is that in order for me to get the proper eye relief. I had to move the scope as far forward as posable. Then the dam objective adjustment ring is rubbing on the base. Not by much but I don't think I should leave it like that. I think I might grind a small notch in the back base to give clearance between the adjusting ring and the base. Don't want to spend another $100 for higher rings. Waiting for a screw from stoger as the crapy torks key they gave me striped one of the screw heads.
Never had this issue with cheaper rifles. Willing to spend the time to have a trouble free and reliable gun though.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:18 AM

If your OBJ is rubbing then you must have the wrong bases if your scope. What rings did you get- Low or Extra low? Maybe return the rings and get the ones you need. Other option is the Sako Optilock Ringmounts.

As I mentioned, no issues for me on my Sako m75 rifles.

Hopefully things work out for you. Enjoy your Sako rifle !!