Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-04-2011, 11:21 PM

Default Tips for big pike up north

Just looking for any tips on pike fishing up north. Me and my wife are flying in to north leland on june 7th for a few days looking to target big pike so if any one has fished there in the past any help would be awesome. Not new to pike fishing but i am new to the whole fly in fishing up north. Definitely wanting to chase the monsters, type size colour of lures and/or time of day and water depth. Thanks in advance
Old 05-04-2011, 11:47 PM

must be on a McLelland fly in trip,,,,,He(can't remember his first name) is good to deal with,pilots are also great,u will enjoy the trip..
Old 05-04-2011, 11:57 PM

Dr. water temps are critical up north and if the pike are post spawn they will still be shallow..which is great, sight fishing is best.
i recomeend you take a few slugo baits...biggest you can find. Even better is the big long slugos made from pork rind the bass guys use....7-9 inches long in yellow. Fish them without weight on a weedless bass hook. They twitch and glide..big gators love them.

it has saved us many times on northern lakes when the pike wont hit conventional pike gear. Slugos have the action to attract but arent fished fast. Some of the pike actually will follow it but wont hit it till its laying still on bottom.

have fun
Old 05-05-2011, 12:04 AM

Where have you been Dr. D??? It's been over a year. Based on the pics of the hogs you were posting during hard water season 2 years ago you should be giving the tips. I suspect you want to get bigger pike than you are used to. Like over 30 lbs? Nice to see you back.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:36 AM

Thumbs up what to use

I have three main lures I use If you are fishing water shallow no deeper then 6 feet, I would try what is called a top prop (it is a top water bait and absolutly fantastic to fish with you will have them coming a foot or more out of water when they strike!!), i use the chartruesse it has some stripes of black and some red or orange depending on what you buy. They are weedless and I usually use a 4" clear green four tailed jig as an additive. If you are fishing waters 4 - 12 feet I would suggest a spin bait (the same style for bass) not a spinner. they come in a wide variety of colors but with pike a find that chartruesse with orange and black works the best. with these you can bend them to make them "swim" deeper or shallower. again I would attach a three inch jig to the hook but only a one or two tailed one they look bulky but when you reel close to the boat you will see and they look awesome lol. for waters that are 6 - 20 foot I would suggest a 5 inch wally diver of a perch and again chartruesse. As with most lures the higher up you have your rod tip the higher in the water colume it will be and the closer to the water you have your rod tip the closer to the bottom you will get your lure. I know its alot but I hope that these tips get you into the fish of a life time. I caught a 48" 39 lbs out of mcloud river outside of whitecourt using the wally diver, the largest pike i will probably ever catch with out going out of province. happy fishing
Old 05-05-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklerunner View Post
Where have you been Dr. D??? It's been over a year. Based on the pics of the hogs you were posting during hard water season 2 years ago you should be giving the tips. I suspect you want to get bigger pike than you are used to. Like over 30 lbs? Nice to see you back.
Didn't get much time to fish the hard water this year but the days i did get were pretty good with some nice pike but need to learn lots about the big girls in the open water
Old 05-05-2011, 09:50 PM

use big lures!
Musky baits are best so big inline spinners, suicks(jerkbait vertical), giant jackpots.(topwater walk the dawgs) and gliding raps.
go to the bays with black bottoms. something that will attract warmer water and attract the forage fish if you can locate the fish there. youll find them ready and aggresive to feed.
be aggresive the fish there are not as spooky as down here.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:19 PM

Big pike means BIG lures. If you do some casting don't forget to watch your hook as you get it to the boat, before you pull it big daddy could be right behind. Get ready with the figure eight. Good luck.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger15 View Post
Big pike means BIG lures. If you do some casting don't forget to watch your hook as you get it to the boat, before you pull it big daddy could be right behind. Get ready with the figure eight. Good luck.
ya if you see one follow speed your reterve up dont slow down it will cause it too loose intrest. or do a quick U or a figure 8 as red mentioned
Old 05-07-2011, 04:39 PM

orange and black bull dawgs 8 to 14 inches work great.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:50 PM

I am gonna be there on June 5th with a tackle box full of top water poppers. Last time we were there in june we caught alot of big jacks in about 3 feet of water right in the weed beds, lots of fun! See you there!
Old 05-07-2011, 11:42 PM
Banned

Was at Andrew a few years ago at the same time. Bring a pair or 4 or polarized glasses, some big 5 diamonds, red and whites and some cranker crankbaits 5-10" in whitefish color silver, blue, grey, and pike colored....Get one get to stand up front as you drive and watch for the giants, try not to cast at the little guys

I would say good luck...but you dont need it!!! your arms will ache on day 3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pikebait.jpg (72.6 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg pike.jpg (81.2 KB, 77 views)
Old 05-08-2011, 07:07 PM

Find a few back bays that has some cabbage growing in it, or an area where there is a creek flowing in. Troll with Koppers Live Target Yellow Perch(8 inches i think) in 11-20 fow. You'll get Pike on those.

If you'd rather not troll, anchor away and cast out Spoons ( red devil, 5 of diamond, Syclops). Retrieve rather fast. You'll be full of pike slime in no time.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:42 PM
Banned

I've caught more big pike on large baits under bobbers than on any kind of lure, not the most exciting way to fish but if its a tropy your after bait is the way to go IMO. For lures I've had good luck with spinnerbaits and all the other usual stuff that people are suggesting.