Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-20-2011, 09:18 AM

I write left, fish right, throw right, use chopsticks and mouse with either hand.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:02 AM

I reel in with my left hand and hold the rod with my right hand when using a spinning reel. The strange thing is though that when using a conventional salt water reel, I will have no problem reeling in with my right hand while holding the rod with my left. I write with my left hand and swing badmonton rackets with my left arm. I will also use my left hand when loosening or tightenig bolts with a wrench. When swinging a baseball bat, I hold it the same way a right handed person holds it. Oh yes, I use a computer mouse with my right hand as well.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Last edited by Jwood 456; 04-20-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:07 AM

Default Left vs Right

I am right handed but am left eye dominate. I fish like I shoot. I shoot left, fish left and run the reel with my right hand. The really odd thing is that I prefer a RH bow.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:08 AM

I cast with my right and swap hands, and reel in with my right as well. I cant imagine doing it different. Every reel I bought I have always had to swap around the handle. I wonder if that is the status of all reels when manufatured that they assume its reeled in with your left hand?
Old 04-20-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren N View Post
I cast with my right and swap hands, and reel in with my right as well. I cant imagine doing it different. Every reel I bought I have always had to swap around the handle. I wonder if that is the status of all reels when manufatured that they assume its reeled in with your left hand?
Lol I cast with my left hand and switch the rod back into my right hand to hold when reeling in my lure when I using spinning gear.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren N View Post
As I was reading this I was just swapping a handle to the right on a new reel for my 6yr old son, I guess I'll be passing on the weirdness....

I cast with my right, reel with my right, write with my right, hockey/baseball/golf all right handed. Just bought a baitcaster and find it hard to get used to the reel being on top, makes it harder to switch hands!
Old 04-20-2011, 10:38 AM

Here's one more curveball. When I fly fish I cast with my right but hand strip in with my left, unless I can play it on the reel then I would switch hands again.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:30 PM

I'm RH..bat L&R..Hockey L throw R..spinning reel L, baitcaster R. Weird I know..
Old 04-20-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
I'm RH, I cast with the right, then switch rod to the left, then reel in with the the right. Golf right, hockey left (never understood that one since they are similar)

I'm just imagining how incredibly awkward i'd feel trying to reel in on the left side, i feel uncomfortable just thinking about it
I'm with ya brother..... I would have it all unspooled at my feet if I tried to reel left, and fall on my face if I tried to shoot a puck right handed. Swing the golf club right handed, and pretty much 50/50 on which hand I drink my ice cold beer with.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:01 PM

Thank goodness I found this thread!! Just bought my first fly setup and I'm hoping to get out this weekend with a friend of mine. I got the package home, opened it all and realized I'd be reeling on the left which didn't feel right (no pun intended). I guess I'm not the only one....I think I had "trout fever" while in the store.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:27 PM

No worries, had to buy a fly reel that i could switch around , as well so the drag still works properly ! Most are simple to do now, but had a few that i used with no drag ! cast rh or two handed , reel rh, fly cast right , then switch to retrieve ! golf RH , hockey LH .

But no upside down reels !
Old 05-06-2011, 08:36 PM

I'm a golf/hockey/baseball left guy...bow is left but I'm fine with a right handed rifle..I think I can flip the reel around and push it clockwise which feels natural because I've always done it with spin casts when I was younger....just thought though it was funny I never thought of this before I went shopping, and once I did, well I thought I'm sure there's an answer somewhere here!
Flipping the rod upside down feels a bit too awkward...although I did look at that option before I searched online, lol.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:28 AM

Golf left, play hockey right and can't do either the other way. All my casting is done with my right arm, reeling with the left... and it drives me nuts watching people switch hands to cast and reel with the same hand.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:15 AM

Im left handed and reel with my right.