Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-16-2014, 09:44 PM
Banned

Default Want to start hunting.

Hello everyone,

I want to start hunting but have no clue how to start since my dad doesn't hunt and my friends all moved. I know in order to use a firearm, I would need a firearms license but do I still need anything if I would want to use a bow? Also what would I need to hunt deer or coyotes? Please be kind haha.

Thanks!
Old 12-16-2014, 09:46 PM

You need to take hunter training as well.

LC
Old 12-16-2014, 09:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
Hello everyone,

I want to start hunting but have no clue how to start since my dad doesn't hunt and my friends all moved. I know in order to use a firearm, I would need a firearms license but do I still need anything if I would want to use a bow? Also what would I need to hunt deer or coyotes? Please be kind haha.

Thanks!

Take your hunters training, get your PAL, and start resersching, learn and read your hunting regulations (you can get from any sports store), then get a county map of a county close to home start talking to land owners, or find crown land on the map and scout for signs of what ever your hunting

Good
Luck!
Old 12-16-2014, 10:07 PM

Hunter safety training is essential as us the PAL for hunting with a firearm .
Speaking with land owners with your father would be helpful as well
Cat
Old 12-16-2014, 10:08 PM

Look up AHEIA. They hold course in the summer. You will get your firearms license as well as hunter ed. These are geared towards youth, but they are often looking for volunteers (adults) to stay in cabins with the kids. When I was there last they allowed the volunteers to also participate in classes and also get their certificates if they needed them.

It may be an option
Old 12-16-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Hello everyone,

Thanks!
It is pretty sad that a newcomer has to close a request with please be kind!
Shows that sharks prowl in these waters!

It is great that you want to take up hunting.. We need the next group of hunters to carry the passion on!!

I would say finding a mentor with some experience is the best way to start .. Local shooting clubs or fish and game associations are a great place to meet others with similar motivations. Mentors are essential. Just be careful there are unfortunately some that you shouldn't take advice from (no different than the non hunting crowd in that respect).
As others have said familiarizing yourself with the rules is key ( hunter Ed course will help with that)

Good luck and welcome to the brotherhood !
Old 12-16-2014, 10:30 PM

In order to buy a hunting license you must first take a hunter's ed coarse. As far as bow hunting you don't have to take any special coarse, you only have to take the hunter's ed coarse, which will allow to buy the tags you need to bow hunt with. After that it's simple, spend countless days and hours practicing, scouting, and gaining land access in hopes of a split second shot. Haha it's pretty daunting but if you put in the time and effort it'll come. Sometimes you can get people in your area to mentor you and "show you the ropes" talk to your local hunting shop they might be able answer some of your questions. IMO in your first year or years of hunting take it slow and only focus on one animal, instead of spreading yourself to thin. If you want to hunt deer only focus on deer, get to know their habits, their habitat, and so on, then after your lucky enough to take one, then move on to another animal.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Hello everyone,

Thanks!
Good for you. You are about to embark on a wonderful adventure and hunting can bring a life time of experience, fun, camaraderie and self respect. Don't worry about not knowing any hunters yet, there are thousands of us all around you and whilst we sometimes debate fiercely on these forums we all share one thing in common - a love of hunting.

It will be easy to connect with others but as suggested above start with your PAL and Hunter Training, then get a gun and there will be lots of people ready to help.

I'm in BC but if you get your training done then I will take you deer or elk hunting if you come out to Nelson one weekend next fall - I hunt with my sons who are also beginners and we have a lot of fun.

Good luck.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Hello everyone,

Thanks!
Where are you located?
Old 12-17-2014, 09:22 AM

Ah, another fisherman forum member coming over to the dark side. Welcome!

You've been here a year so hopefully are familiar with searching past threads. Tons of info here. Warning though... starting any threads asking for the best big game caliber or rifle for Alberta will get you a slap!
Old 12-17-2014, 05:44 PM
Banned

I forgot to mention I am 21 so not sure if that makes a difference in replies or not.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
I forgot to mention I am 21 so not sure if that makes a difference in replies or not.
Only that you have a lifetime of enjoyment ahead of you!
Old 12-17-2014, 11:26 PM

you should ask which is the best rifle cartridge to buy. That will be fun.

I would suggest watching youtube Tiborasaurusrex and his videos Sniper 101. hes very detailed about all the ins and outs of rifles and shooting. you may get some ideas before you spend money.

Last edited by Nyksta; 12-17-2014 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:15 AM

Start saving some coin. You'll need at least a minimum of 9 rifles of various calibers to get going. 3 different coyote hunting rifles. Three different whitetail hunting rifles. Two shotguns and at least one rimfire. Find a good mentor. It will save you a lot of trial and error.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justforkicks View Post
Where are you located?
X2. Nothing like being mentored. Lots to learn when first starting out. Take all your courses (firearm and hunting). Get some kit, practice as much as you can, with good instruction. If your near Calgary try the shooting center. If you post your location you might get some offers to take you out and show you the ropes. Be safe, be legal, be ethical at all times.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:08 AM

Hunting licence is a priority. You can still hunt with a firearm under licenced supervision without a PAL.
That said, its a while until the next season so you have time for both.

You don't need a lot of expensive fancy gear, just the basics will get you going:
- drab coloured clothing that keeps you warm
- a firearm (or bow); lots of affordable second hand options and lower cost new rifles. On rifle buy a decent scope, it is a critical piece of gear. For a shotgun there is nothing wrong with a utilitarian pump gun. Get a range membership if you can.
- a sharp knife
- a plan to handle dead animals or have them processed
- permission on private land or look at some maps and find public access areas.

Enjoy the journey!
Old 12-26-2014, 10:33 AM
Banned

Im located in Edmonton. I only know a few hunters and they don't want to take me because they claim I'll scare their game or get eaten by a bear haha. I'll look into everything that was mentioned on here. Thanks for the help

Merry Christmas to everyone and a happy new year!
Old 12-27-2014, 09:02 AM

Default Welcome to the dark side

If you plan to hunt with a firearm you will need your PAL in order to purchase and posses a firearm legally.

If you plan to hunt only with a bow, you do not need a PAL as bows are not considered firearms by the definition of the laws at present.

Being a first time hunter means you will need to pass a hunter education training program. AHEIA has some of the best courses in my opinion. Contact them at their office in Edmonton and try to take one of their weekend courses through the winter or take one of their courses at Alford Lake in the summer. They will be able to get you your PAL course as well.

For coyote hunting I recommend picking up a good varmint caliber like the 22-250 or the .223. Coyotes are pretty tough to hunt with a bow especially when starting out.

If you plan to bow hunt I would take one of the AHEIA bow hunting courses as well. Hunting with a bow is tough. Takes lots of practice and the learning curve can be steep at times so take some training to give you a good starting point.

And finally be respectfull always and use respect always. Hunt hard and have fun.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:21 AM

Contact these guys.

http://scidraytonvalley.com/

Soup to nutz, you'll be looked after.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-27-2016, 01:30 PM
Banned

Going to revive my old thread, deciding now what gun to get... Want to hunt deer, possibly moose and geese/ducks.
Was looking at the Savage Axis XP II in a 30-06. For a shotgun for the ducks and geese not sure what to get. Any suggestions?

West of Edmonton area.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:18 PM

I think that savage is a good entry level gun. With the crappy triger the 1st axis had to the accu trigger on the axis 2 i think you will enjoy it. You could go with a 30-06 because it will be easy to get ammo for it, im assuming you wont be loading your own yet. Did you do you hunters ed online yet? Or still to be done? A course would give you much more takeaway if possible. As for a shot gun any 12 ga. will do. They have some entry levels out there, possibly Mossberg. Also depends if you want wood,camo,ect stocks.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:21 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesilva View Post
Take your hunters training, get your PAL, and start resersching, learn and read your hunting regulations (you can get from any sports store), then get a county map of a county close to home start talking to land owners, or find crown land on the map and scout for signs of what ever your hunting

Good
Luck!
This and attempt to hook up with an experienced positive law abiding mentor.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-03-2016, 09:59 AM

Im in the same boat as the OP but also female (and grown@ 40 yrs old) but brand new to hunting. Im not hugely squeamish and I learn exceptionally well (slow sometimes...but well lol) Ive never killed or field dressed anything.

Anyone in central AB willing to take me on as a student? Im located in Olds.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meldy View Post
Im in the same boat as the OP but also female (and grown@ 40 yrs old) but brand new to hunting. Im not hugely squeamish and I learn exceptionally well (slow sometimes...but well lol) Ive never killed or field dressed anything.

Anyone in central AB willing to take me on as a student? Im located in Olds.
Throw your post up here and I'll bet you'll find someone near by you

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=38944
Old 04-04-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter4ever12 View Post
Throw your post up here and I'll bet you'll find someone near by you

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=38944
Take you hunter training course, and your PAL course, and join a F&W club, and post under that link. Take care of the legalities, then find a mentor.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Take you hunter training course, and your PAL course, and join a F&W club, and post under that link. Take care of the legalities, then find a mentor.
Just did my PAL (did both restricted and unrestricted but am only applying/sending off for my unrestricted right now) don't have the card yet but have no reason why I wont get it.
Hunter course is in the works. Ive been told there are both classes (my preference) and online ways to do this. I haven't found a course aside from a weeklong one in Aug that I am already on the list for.

I don't know what a F&W is?(edited as I searched this forum to find out what this meant)
How do I find a local F&W club?
Old 04-04-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meldy View Post
Just did my PAL (did both restricted and unrestricted but am only applying/sending off for my unrestricted right now) don't have the card yet but have no reason why I wont get it.
Hunter course is in the works. Ive been told there are both classes (my preference) and online ways to do this. I haven't found a course aside from a weeklong one in Aug that I am already on the list for.

I don't know what a F&W is?(edited as I searched this forum to find out what this meant)
How do I find a local F&W club?
http://www.afga.org/clubs-and-zones.html
Old 04-04-2016, 10:53 PM

Welcome to the club! Me and a good friend started hunting at 29 years old and have learned a lot during our short hunting careers. We put together a podcast for guys just like you, so give it a listen and maybe you'll learn from some of the mistakes we've made as new hunters. You can check it out from the link in my signature. Hope you enjoy it.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/...r/id1091008357
http://www.therookiehunter.com/podcast/
https://twitter.com/rookie_hunter
Old 04-05-2016, 09:32 AM

Welcome! Hunting is amazing! I was in the same position as you about eight years ago, now I have harvested about 8 deer. And an elk and moose with a bow. Its harder for us guys that didnt get taught the basics by our dad but that just makes success all that much sweeter. I take alot of pride in knowing that ive taught myself these skills. Just be sure to take the courses mentioned above. And dont read the regs STUDY them! Dont ever take someones word for something, research it and make sure its legal. Good luck and staight shooting!!
Old 04-05-2016, 09:54 AM

Default Hunter Training

Check out AHEIA, they offer some great seminars and training etc