Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-10-2013, 11:03 AM

Default Where has the 338 RUM Gone

Hi guys and gals, I have been looking to purchase a 338 RUM. After gun stores, internet etc., have come to the conclusion there is only one firearm available anymore being a Rem XCR II. Was looking for something in the lines of a Senduro. Have also noticed (in Leth.) one can't even find brass for reloading. Is this cartridge obsolete now? Is the 338 Lapua that much better it can't compete? Any insight and/or information you can provide would be an asset. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:24 AM

Last time I checked, The Shootist in St Albert had one in stock. Can't say if its still there or not - www.shootist.ab.ca. The inventory is online.

I think between the 338 win mag and the 338 Lapua, the 338 RUM got casted out. Its fairly cheap to shoot factory ammo in a 338 win mag, and if you into re-loading/longer ranges, then most people will go for the lapua. 338 RUM kinda fell in between and lost the popularity battle I guess. Its still a great calibre though!
Old 01-10-2013, 11:30 AM

Gone
Old 01-10-2013, 11:57 AM

as far as i know the 300 rum is the only RUM that will survive.. Remington seller that came to the local store said the 375 rum and 338 are gone and 7mm rum is next..

I own a 7mm rum in Remington BDL and a rechambered into 375 RUM Browning.
They shoot awesome !
Old 01-10-2013, 12:16 PM

now you buy a 300 rum and build an edge on it.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:56 PM

I have seen the edge is the way people are going, although does that not still require 338 Rum brass. Don't know about other cities, in Leth. can't find and with Rem discontinuing the Cal. is the brass going to be even harder to find. Or is the edge a necked up 300Rum?
Old 01-10-2013, 01:42 PM
Banned

The Edge, as referenced here, is a 300 RUM case necked up to 338. The 300 case is slightly larger than the 338 case, and boosts performance accordingly.

R.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH View Post
Last time I checked, The Shootist in St Albert had one in stock. Can't say if its still there or not - www.shootist.ab.ca. The inventory is online.

I think between the 338 win mag and the 338 Lapua, the 338 RUM got casted out. Its fairly cheap to shoot factory ammo in a 338 win mag, and if you into re-loading/longer ranges, then most people will go for the lapua. 338 RUM kinda fell in between and lost the popularity battle I guess. Its still a great calibre though!
my mistake, it was a 300 RUM...see: http://www.shootist.ab.ca/drif31.html
Old 01-14-2013, 09:43 AM

IMO The problem though, with going for a Lapua is that the availability of "hunting rifle" models were not that easy to find. Now of course remington, weatherby and savage make a "sporting" model, but is really still kind of bulky and doesnt really appeal to ME anyway as a tradition sporting rifle. If you're looking for a pepped up .338 look at the .338-378 weatherby...amazing cartridge out of very reputable rifles....downside of course is the cost to shoot the damn thing; Although im sure if you were to reload it wouldnt be SO bad.

You can always just go with a .338 winmag...i've taken many moose with it and all but one have bit the dust pretty badly on the first shot.

Happy Hunting
Old 01-15-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazy.338 View Post
IMO The problem though, with going for a Lapua is that the availability of "hunting rifle" models were not that easy to find. Now of course remington, weatherby and savage make a "sporting" model, but is really still kind of bulky and doesnt really appeal to ME anyway as a tradition sporting rifle. If you're looking for a pepped up .338 look at the .338-378 weatherby...amazing cartridge out of very reputable rifles....downside of course is the cost to shoot the damn thing; Although im sure if you were to reload it wouldnt be SO bad.

You can always just go with a .338 winmag...i've taken many moose with it and all but one have bit the dust pretty badly on the first shot.

Happy Hunting
I used to own the 338-378 weatherby and even reloading it was still expensive! i got 7 reloads per brass and that wasnt even really hot loads. Brass is $90 for 20 yikes. Plus the Mark V i owned was super finicky good accuracy for one group and crap for the next. Shes.....gone!
The reason the lapua is popular is because its a military round and the brass is awesome! Comparatively the .338 RUM can do everything it can and maybe a tad more if your going by the the Nosler reload manual but again some people are real anal about those shiny Lapua brass?

Tags
338 rum, long range, rem 700