Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-08-2013, 04:19 PM

Default 300rum-338edge

First time posting so bare with me. Was wondering if any of you fellas have or know anyone who has taken a cut rifled 300 rum barrel and had it turned into a 338edge or 338 rum. It is a med contour fluted barrel on one of my old HS PHR
Old 01-08-2013, 06:33 PM

Problem is you're talking about two different caliber's. Thirty cal to 338. You're far better off spinning off the Rum barrel and get an Edge Barrel threaded on at a gunsmith. Shilen makes some nice prefit Edge barrels for savage. If you have a rem or equivalent you'll need to buy a blank and have a smith chamber it to 338 Rum, or Edge and then install it.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:34 AM

Nope i am not confused I am talking about a well known barrel maker boring and reaming a shot out 300rum barrel up to a 338edge. Just wondering if anyone here has had it done up to edge. I know of people who have done this with other caliber combo's
Old 01-10-2013, 11:52 AM

I would not have any problem with your plan if it was me, even though I am a real 300 rum fan. I had a .375 bored out to 416 rem by Ron Smith and he did a great job. Spooky in fact, I remounted the scope and shot the rifle at 100 yards and the bullet printed 4" to the left and the next two went into a total of 3/4" with Remington factory solids. I dont no who is doing your boring but I have had four of Rons barrels and they shoot period.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:36 PM

If the barrel you're reboring is a good blank go for it. If it was a stock barrel to start with, might be worth going to a custom blank. If you choose the Edge over the 338 RUM you will likely need to settle for a single shot if you plan to use heavy bullets. My edge with 250 gr SMK's are too long to fit a standard long magazine. Now if you want to buy new bottom metal and have that added then you're probably good to go. Mine is built on a savage long action and it's set up as a single shot. Once I chamber a round, if I want to remove it I need to remove the bolt slightly as the action isn't long enough to eject a loaded round.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:27 PM

Yeah never thought of coal being to long. Its hs's bottom metal. I'm sure they use the same bottom on there 338 lapua. How long are your loads havn't had any time around edge, I know mine wont be exactly the same but any idea is better than what I have right now,haha. Ron Smith is the guy I have been talking to but the edge seems to be something he has not done(the feeling i got on the phone but that doesnt mean anything). Heard nothing but good about this fella and he just said to stop by with gun and he would figure it all out. Thanks fellas and all this info from you guys is great.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:03 PM

My COL for the 300 Gr Bergers is 4.042"
Old 01-11-2013, 09:25 AM

My COL with 300 grain Sierra is 3.90"
Old 01-11-2013, 10:02 AM

there is nothing wrong with the 338 RUM either.. i think its only 0.90 shorter
than the 300 RUM.. velocity gaains between the 338 rum and 338 edge will be minimal,,,for the amount of work necking up and fire forming brass ,,specialty dies... and u can go to the store and buy 338 rum ammmo if needed....$0.02
Old 01-11-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeviation View Post
there is nothing wrong with the 338 RUM either.. i think its only 0.90 shorter
than the 300 RUM.. velocity gaains between the 338 rum and 338 edge will be minimal,,,for the amount of work necking up and fire forming brass ,,specialty dies... and u can go to the store and buy 338 rum ammmo if needed....$0.02
you are right about the extra work making up brass but having the edge you can still use 338 rum dies.its the edge improved that requires new dies.i had my edge improved dies made by lee for the minimal price of 90.00.the edge improved is a big gain in case capacity over the rum.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsshooter View Post
First time posting so bare with me. Was wondering if any of you fellas have or know anyone who has taken a cut rifled 300 rum barrel and had it turned into a 338edge or 338 rum. It is a med contour fluted barrel on one of my old HS PHR
you might consider sellnig the 300 rum barrel and ordering a brand new tube.that way you would be recovering some cost as Ron will charge you the same money to redrill your barrel as making a new one.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:26 PM

not to hyjack ...but ..if Ron rebores and recuts the barrel do u have to lop off the muzzle end of the barrel and rechamber ???? like a new blankbarrel?
ie; if i send a 26 inch barrel in will i end up with a 24 inch barrel or will it still be 26" and no rechambering needed ?? going from 300 RUM to 338/300RUM.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeviation View Post
not to hyjack ...but ..if Ron rebores and recuts the barrel do u have to lop off the muzzle end of the barrel and rechamber ???? like a new blankbarrel?
ie; if i send a 26 inch barrel in will i end up with a 24 inch barrel or will it still be 26" and no rechambering needed ?? going from 300 RUM to 338/300RUM.
no matter how u slice it after it is drilled and rifled it will require some amount of chambering to recut the existing chamber and headspace.the only thing that wont change is the bbl contour.that is why it is no savings to go this way unless you have a bunch of sight dovetail cuts or things of this nature.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:47 AM

Default Edge improved

The edge improved must be longer than reg edge hey. Wonder if it will fit in HS clip with 300grn smk. Also any one had Rob at Custom Gunwerks in Rocky do any work. He mentioned getting a barrel from someone close by him. He was awesome on the phone, real helpful. He would put on 29" barrel from (wish I could remember his name), bed action, put HS brake back on it and guarantee .5 moa for 1200$. He seemed very knowledgable and just wanted to here info from anyone who had used him.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsshooter View Post
The edge improved must be longer than reg edge hey. Wonder if it will fit in HS clip with 300grn smk. Also any one had Rob at Custom Gunwerks in Rocky do any work. He mentioned getting a barrel from someone close by him. He was awesome on the phone, real helpful. He would put on 29" barrel from (wish I could remember his name), bed action, put HS brake back on it and guarantee .5 moa for 1200$. He seemed very knowledgable and just wanted to here info from anyone who had used him.
Yes...he chambered and assembled my 260 improved...very happy with the finished product, turn around and final result.

If he was getting a barrel from someone close to him it is likely a Jury barrel. It is the same maker as the barrel I have on mine. These barrels are great and very low fouling....

Note this target was shot using factory loads that had to be fireformed to the 260 improved dimensions.

LC
Old 01-14-2013, 09:59 AM

the HS mag measures 3.70"...
I wouldnt have any issues letting Bob build me one,and a Jury barrel ,would work too..