Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-10-2013, 06:17 PM

Default vortex warranty not vip

well, after 1 week at my local vortex dealer, the dealer finally informed me that i have to send the broken crossfire scope in myself, at my cost of course, which is what most companies require, so the warranty so far is no better than any other. i'm not sure where everyone gets the idea of over the counter warranty, because it says nothing about that in the vortex warranty outline. the warranty work itself is free, as long as the required work is covered by their warranty, which does not seem to line up with their no fault definition. vortex will pay the return postage. so, i have purchased a poor quality scope, i am now paying extra to try and get the thing fixed, and i still have no idea if it will hold up when returned, or if the optics are poor because of this lense failure. the email i received from the head office sort of sent the message that you get what you pay for, so don't expect any exceptional service either. so i guess i'll gamble a few bucks to see if they fix this piece of garbage, maybe it would be good for my kids soft air. i don't want to get stuck in this kind of rut, next thing you know i'll be buying a lada.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couleefolk View Post
well, after 1 week at my local vortex dealer, the dealer finally informed me that i have to send the broken crossfire scope in myself, at my cost of course, which is what most companies require, so the warranty so far is no better than any other. i'm not sure where everyone gets the idea of over the counter warranty, because it says nothing about that in the vortex warranty outline. the warranty work itself is free, as long as the required work is covered by their warranty, which does not seem to line up with their no fault definition. vortex will pay the return postage. so, i have purchased a poor quality scope, i am now paying extra to try and get the thing fixed, and i still have no idea if it will hold up when returned, or if the optics are poor because of this lense failure. the email i received from the head office sort of sent the message that you get what you pay for, so don't expect any exceptional service either. so i guess i'll gamble a few bucks to see if they fix this piece of garbage, maybe it would be good for my kids soft air. i don't want to get stuck in this kind of rut, next thing you know i'll be buying a lada.
Hmm I got the same go around on my Razor HD,but my dealer (Darren Treble aka prarieguntraders) stood behind me and got me a new scope at no charge. Thank-you Darren
Old 01-10-2013, 06:45 PM

So you're upset with Vortex' warranty because your local retailer doesn't want to give you one out of his inventory to replace the broken one? Just because Vortex offers the VIP warranty, that doesn't mean that the retailer is obligated to do an over-the-counter exchange. What it means is that you send in your faulty unit, and they will repair or replace it, regardless of the cause of damage (unless deliberate), and send it back to you. Sounds like you're getting exactly that type of service.

You did buy the very bottom of the barrel in Vortex lineup. I wouldn't expect a fantastic scope for that price...
Old 01-10-2013, 08:26 PM

Ill give you $20 for it in its broken state and deal with it myself if you like.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith View Post
So you're upset with Vortex' warranty because your local retailer doesn't want to give you one out of his inventory to replace the broken one? Just because Vortex offers the VIP warranty, that doesn't mean that the retailer is obligated to do an over-the-counter exchange. What it means is that you send in your faulty unit, and they will repair or replace it, regardless of the cause of damage (unless deliberate), and send it back to you. Sounds like you're getting exactly that type of service.

You did buy the very bottom of the barrel in Vortex lineup. I wouldn't expect a fantastic scope for that price...
i don't like the fact that they make it sound like their warranty is better on their site, but it is really no different. i wasn't expecting an over the counter warranty exchange when i walked in. what i didn't expect is to have to play tag for a week to find out that i am required to send my own scope in. i also didn't like the fact that the scope could pop out of focus due to "oil on the threads" as per vortex usa. as far as buying the low end of their line, my expierence is that it can't even measure up to cheaper bushnell and tascos, it is more in line with those scopes that savage puts on their package deals, except you have to pay more because it says vortex. some people like the scopes that savages puts on those guns. for people that are satisfied with this kind of vortex service, good for them. i think that folks have a right to know what may happen before they throw their money away. i realize that any scope can have issues, heck, the one fella took 3 shots with his 300 and his zeiss conquest crosshairs fell apart, oh yah, that is the bottom of the line also so you should expect that, even if it says zeiss and costs a little more than a crossfire. it's the people at vortex that have so far really discouraged me with their poor service.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody c View Post
Ill give you $20 for it in its broken state and deal with it myself if you like.
is that cash up front and you pick it up?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:02 PM

your dealer should have stood behind you and replaced it i'd take it somewhere else and i bet you'd get just that
Old 01-10-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couleefolk View Post
is that cash up front and you pick it up?
Whereabouts are you located? And who did you buy it from?
Old 01-11-2013, 08:06 AM

Vortex warranties don't have squat to do with customer service policies where you bought it from... If they won't deal with it for you, and I'm not too surprised they won't, then it's on you. Vortex says they'll guarantee your scope but it doesn't say anywhere in it that it's an OTC warranty.

It's not an unreasonable expectation that your RETAILER could help you out with it but that's got bugger all to do with Vortex.

On a positive note with Vortex they sent me a free T-shirt and a hat just for emailing them a good story about how their binos survived my motorcycle accident with them riding inside my jacket. They actually broke my ribs when I hit a rock. Weeks later when I got my stuff back I checked out the binos convinced I'd be sending them in for warranty replacement but they didn't get so much as a scratch on them.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnM View Post
Vortex warranties don't have squat to do with customer service policies where you bought it from... If they won't deal with it for you, and I'm not too surprised they won't, then it's on you. Vortex says they'll guarantee your scope but it doesn't say anywhere in it that it's an OTC warranty.

It's not an unreasonable expectation that your RETAILER could help you out with it but that's got bugger all to do with Vortex.

On a positive note with Vortex they sent me a free T-shirt and a hat just for emailing them a good story about how their binos survived my motorcycle accident with them riding inside my jacket. They actually broke my ribs when I hit a rock. Weeks later when I got my stuff back I checked out the binos convinced I'd be sending them in for warranty replacement but they didn't get so much as a scratch on them.
X2!!!!
What EVERYBODY seems to forget when flaming vortex's warranty is that its VORTEX'S warranty and not the RETAILER's warranty!! If the retailer does have a warranty policy its usually like a 30 manufacturer over the counter. Past that ya, if you want a brand new no-questions-asked scope, that is vortex themselves. that's like buying a vehicle, private sale, that is only a month old, and when something goes wrong going back to the guy and getting upset with him because he wont buy you a new vehicle. Perhaps the confusion is that people forget that retailers actually have to BUY their inventory from the manufacturer (eg. vortex, browning, or whoever) and its not just given to them on the shelves of the store.

ps. ya usually if you send away for warranty work, it seems they almost always throw in some swag like a shirt or hat or something.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:31 AM

In my case the retailer offered to refund me the $2100 I paid for the scope because Vortex refused to honour their no fault warranty, in the end Vortex did come thru. This is not what I expect for service when spending that kind of money. I bought a S&B to replace the Razor HD and couldn't be happier.
Edit: I am very happy with my dealer, my issue is with the local Vortex rep.

Last edited by wally338; 01-11-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally338 View Post
In my case the retailer offered to refund me the $2100 I paid for the scope because Vortex refused to honour their no fault warranty, in the end Vortex did come thru. This is not what I expect for service when spending that kind of money. I bought a S&B to replace the Razor HD and couldn't be happier.
Edit: I am very happy with my dealer, my issue is with the local Vortex rep.
Of course they they came through. Why wouldn't they honor the warranty?
Old 01-12-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith View Post

i reread my statement, and i don't know where you read that i was upset about not getting an over the counter warranty, because i read their policy before i took it in, and knew there was no such thing, even though i have read on here that some guys were getting that kind of service. furthermore, i didn't see anything in our local shop that was similiar because he keeps a very small display. my beef is when someone makes it sound like they are better than others, but are only offering the same service as everybody else. i researched this scope on line, which is always a gamble, which made it sound like a decent scope for the price, but in my case, and i have witnesses, i have a cheaper scope, aka bushnell buckhorn, that has a brighter and sharper picture at the same given power (6x) with a smaller objective. i would hope that maybe because the lense of the vortex was not installed properly that maybe it is somewhat fogged up and that is the reason for the poor visibility. i post my observations online to let others know of what could happen and that the service is not better than any others. since my ordeal of having the lense fall out, several others i have personally talked to have noted poor quality with the cheaper vortex line, poor turrets, sticky power adjusters, and said that they are not worth the money paid. and as far as no fault warranty that is posted online, apparently those are mere words. so you can read into this whatever you want, i have stated what i think of this company. and if they do send me a t-shirt, i can always use a new grease rag in the garage.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:39 AM

Same service as everybody else? I'm not aware of anybody else that will repair or replace the product, regardless of what's wrong or how it happened (barring intentional abuse, obviously). Leupold comes the closest, IME, but nobody else is as good.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:54 AM

Default If you were near

I deal directly with the depot and if you were near I would say bring it to me and I would replace it, then I would deal with the warranty people. I have only had to return one scope to them, and with no questions asked they send me one back. We are not a big box store we make ours on the gun show rat race, and have sold tons of vortex. We believe you bring it to us we give you a new one, then we deal with the warranty depot.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadirk View Post
I deal directly with the depot and if you were near I would say bring it to me and I would replace it, then I would deal with the warranty people. I have only had to return one scope to them, and with no questions asked they send me one back. We are not a big box store we make ours on the gun show rat race, and have sold tons of vortex. We believe you bring it to us we give you a new one, then we deal with the warranty depot.
Like, +1.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couleefolk;17969? 46
i reread my statement, and i don't know where you read that i was upset about not getting an over the counter warranty, because i read their policy before i took it in, and knew there was no such thing, even though i have read on here that some guys were getting that kind of service. furthermore, i didn't see anything in our local shop that was similiar because he keeps a very small display. my beef is when someone makes it sound like they are better than others, but are only offering the same service as everybody else. i researched this scope on line, which is always a gamble, which made it sound like a decent scope for the price, but in my case, and i have witnesses, i have a cheaper scope, aka bushnell buckhorn, that has a brighter and sharper picture at the same given power (6x) with a smaller objective. i would hope that maybe because the lense of the vortex was not installed properly that maybe it is somewhat fogged up and that is the reason for the poor visibility. i post my observations online to let others know of what could happen and that the service is not better than any others. since my ordeal of having the lense fall out, several others i have personally talked to have noted poor quality with the cheaper vortex line, poor turrets, sticky power adjusters, and said that they are not worth the money paid. and as far as no fault warranty that is posted online, apparently those are mere words. so you can read into this whatever you want, i have stated what i think of this company. and if they do send me a t-shirt, i can always use a new grease rag in the garage.
How are those mere words? this makes no sense if they replaced your scope. Some people you just can't please. I don't know many people that complain about free stuff
Old 01-14-2013, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnM View Post

awesome!!
Old 01-14-2013, 08:07 AM

I guess what people are saying is that they don't understand what your beef really is. Is it because the vendor didn't do an OTC exchange? Or because you had to deal directly with Vortex even though they actually did replace your scope?

Your experience with your lens falling out sounds pretty uncommon from what I've heard from other people and my own experience with their products.