Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-26-2014, 08:10 PM

Default Interesting Sunset was 7:25 and they are still shooting out there

Seems some hunters can see and identify ducks in the dark? it is now 8:10 so 10 minutes after legal light and they are sure stretching it!
Weed Lake and Taylor Marsh by the sounds of it!
Old 09-26-2014, 08:16 PM

Sad.. But not unusual.
RBH
Old 09-26-2014, 08:52 PM

Default Far too common around here

think they are taking advantage of the fact that Strathmore like many F & W offices are understaffed. My son called this in twice last year when they had 2 CO's but know one retired and the other cant work every night of waterfowl season or rely on Calgary response time to come here every night.

Sad that probably any duck they shoot in dark wont be retrieved and they cant possibly be identifying what they are shooting as backlit "silouettes" in the dark.

Over cast last night and I was out on big slough trying to get picture perfect duck for pup on water but quit 5 minutes before legal light as I didnt want to wound any thing in cattails that pup couldnt likely retrieve. Walked back to truck 400 yards, drove to house stopping to open and close 2 gates along the way and just as I arrived in the yard at last gate I heard 2 volleys of shots a full 10 minutes after legal light. I think it is same guys night after night and hope they lose their guns, truck and any other gear over this eventually.
Pushing the time a minute or so is one thing but intentionally ignoring the law is another. Unrecovered ducks or cripples come out of everyones bag limit.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:47 AM
Banned

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
think they are taking advantage of the fact that Strathmore like many F & W offices are understaffed. My son called this in twice last year when they had 2 CO's but know one retired and the other cant work every night of waterfowl season or rely on Calgary response time to come here every night.

Sad that probably any duck they shoot in dark wont be retrieved and they cant possibly be identifying what they are shooting as backlit "silouettes" in the dark.

Over cast last night and I was out on big slough trying to get picture perfect duck for pup on water but quit 5 minutes before legal light as I didnt want to wound any thing in cattails that pup couldnt likely retrieve. Walked back to truck 400 yards, drove to house stopping to open and close 2 gates along the way and just as I arrived in the yard at last gate I heard 2 volleys of shots a full 10 minutes after legal light. I think it is same guys night after night and hope they lose their guns, truck and any other gear over this eventually.
Pushing the time a minute or so is one thing but intentionally ignoring the law is another. Unrecovered ducks or cripples come out of everyones bag limit.

Pretty sure thts the local gang members in langdon Rob , doin a few drive bys , they start around 8 pm after sleepn al day.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:37 PM

I set the alarm on my phone. When it goes off I go home.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:53 PM

when I can't tell the species I go home
Old 09-27-2014, 03:58 PM

Default Both good ideas

I have used the phone alarm as well to be sure we quit on time when caught in the last few minutes when shooting can be fast and furious.
Some days these old eyes quit before legally required like on Thursday.
Cloud cover tonight so probably quit early again but I bet the local sky busters are still shooting at 8:10 again.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:20 AM
Banned

I will always remember that sept 25 had both sunrise and sunset at 7:25. Thought that was a good omen and it was.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:27 AM

Default update

Started picking up decoys last night a few minutes before legal light at 7:50 and did not hear a single illegal shot from 7:53 until 8:10 when I got back to the yard. coincidence or did the perpetrators read this here???