Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-25-2014, 09:08 PM

Default Ducks unlimited area

I remember a while ago we had a link to the ducks unlimited areas. Showed how much land and what have you. Anyone remember?
Old 09-25-2014, 09:14 PM

http://www.ducks.ca/learn-about-wetl...ence-wetlands/

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-25-2014, 09:42 PM

Thanks for the link but that cannot be a comprehensive listing of all DU sites I don't think.

Dalemead lake is a DU site but not showing up on that website.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:06 PM

Thanks
Old 09-25-2014, 11:58 PM

we can hunt on those DU sites for geese?
Old 09-26-2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpete1 View Post
Yes. But don't hunt them if they are the local roost please. It screws it up for everybody when they are chased off and fly south.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca Dog View Post
Yes. But don't hunt them if they are the local roost please. It screws it up for everybody when they are chased off and fly south.
This interests me, I want to get into duck hunting but also want to do it right. Where the hell am I suppose to shoot them if not at a pond in an area where I can pull the trigger!
Old 09-26-2014, 10:40 AM

I'm in the exact same boat... here's what I have found out and who I have talked to ....
1. talking with DU... I find it easier to call their number 1-866479-3825 and they will give you the number of the one in your area if you not in the edmonton area. They have land around certain lakes/ponds/sloughs mostly only foot access no motorboats allowed ( kayaks rafts anything MAN powered). If you are in the Calgary south area talk to Ashley at DU 403-465-3310 ( cell ) or (office) 403-476-1870
2. The Alberta Conservation Assoc. website is helpful http://www.albertadiscoverguide.com/search.cfm as it will show you different areas that you can hunt specifically.
3. I have talked with AHEIA, one of their instructors ( actually sat down in his office) about where I can and can't hunt as my question was what lakes can I go and hunt on with a boat / motor ( like I used to in Ontario ) and I was told that any lake that has boat launch access I can hunt on as long as I don't need permission to cross private land to get to the boat launch ( which then you ask permission)... with that being said if there is a recreational area (example a campground) on the lake you have to be a certain distance from it ( which I don't remember sorry ) but its more of a common sense thing a good 4-500 yards is sufficient I would think but I will call and ask if I'm going to a lake I want to hunt and set up near a campground.. ( which would probably never happen.)
With all this in mind - I have tried to do my due diligence ahead of time and I have gone out to scout area's during the daylight hours prior to my hunts, and have found some areas are too far of a walk to carry guns ammo decoys and maybe a snack.... and I have also fallen into a mud spring up to my armpits ( didn't see that coming)
I hope this helps!
Old 09-26-2014, 10:44 AM

I'm not sure why people are so offended by people hunting geese and ducks on the water ...it has been done this way for god knows how long... maybe instead of hunting them in their roost I should go and hunt them in their feeding grounds... so they don't have the ability to eat!! ( just being the devils advocate as I grew up hunting over water along with everybody else where I lived )
Old 09-26-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger72 View Post
I'm not sure why people are so offended by people hunting geese and ducks on the water ...it has been done this way for god knows how long... maybe instead of hunting them in their roost I should go and hunt them in their feeding grounds... so they don't have the ability to eat!! ( just being the devils advocate as I grew up hunting over water along with everybody else where I lived )
I think you'll find that most guys that actually hunt a lot of birds have absolutely no problem with anyone hunting water bodies at all. Where there can be an issue is if you are actually hunting the roost once the migration happens....unfortunately most guys assume all bodies of water are roost bodies. Which isn't even remotely correct. Most ponds, and bodies of water are transitional bodies....not roosting. A safe bet is that anything that even remotely resembles a lake with large, and I mean large numbers of birds on it means that its probably roosting waters. I will openly hunt what ends up being a migration roost up until about the second week of September when those same roosting waters are only holding local birds. After that I switch to fields and transitional bodies of water. Local birds typically don't jam out south when shot at over their home waters. Migrators POTENTIALLY will. The key is to know your area and be able to differentiate between a migration roost and a transitional body.

Unfortunately the guys that don't really know what theyre talking about more often than not pipe up immediately and start preaching the roost busting speech.

At the end of the day....hunt water till youre blue In the face, just do it intelligently.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:10 AM

"At the end of the day....hunt water till you're blue In the face, just do it intelligently"
I agree.... the key words... INTELLIGENTLY....
Thanks for the reply!!
Old 09-26-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpete1 View Post
Yes and No! Most sites are open to hunting via FOOT TRAFFIC, no driving in. Some sites are listed as breeding/nesting sites and they do not allow for hunting. Make sure you check the specific site you intend to hunt.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca Dog View Post
Screws who up? The local outfitters that have 50% of everything tied up? Or the local 'old boys club' who have the other 50%?

There is no shortage of water and the birds will just move off the DU projects to bigger water or private land.

I just bought a sneak/layout boat and I shoot water. Where this field shoot only thing ever got accepted as the only legitimate way to hunt waterfowl I will never know.

Most DU/ACA projects allow hunting, but tend to get pressured pretty good. There is a website.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
Screws who up? The local outfitters that have 50% of everything tied up? Or the local 'old boys club' who have the other 50%?

There is no shortage of water and the birds will just move off the DU projects to bigger water or private land.

I just bought a sneak/layout boat and I shoot water. Where this field shoot only thing ever got accepted as the only legitimate way to hunt waterfowl I will never know.

Most DU/ACA projects allow hunting, but tend to get pressured pretty good. There is a website.
????? Shooting an actual roost screws up the average joe too. IMHO just going at it like a free for all is irresponsible and selfish. Yes the 'water is hunted by slobs' concept is ridiculous, but everything within reason man.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside2014 View Post
I think you'll find that most guys that actually hunt a lot of birds have absolutely no problem with anyone hunting water bodies at all. Where there can be an issue is if you are actually hunting the roost once the migration happens....unfortunately most guys assume all bodies of water are roost bodies. Which isn't even remotely correct. Most ponds, and bodies of water are transitional bodies....not roosting. A safe bet is that anything that even remotely resembles a lake with large, and I mean large numbers of birds on it means that its probably roosting waters. I will openly hunt what ends up being a migration roost up until about the second week of September when those same roosting waters are only holding local birds. After that I switch to fields and transitional bodies of water. Local birds typically don't jam out south when shot at over their home waters. Migrators POTENTIALLY will. The key is to know your area and be able to differentiate between a migration roost and a transitional body.

Unfortunately the guys that don't really know what theyre talking about more often than not pipe up immediately and start preaching the roost busting speech.

At the end of the day....hunt water till youre blue In the face, just do it intelligently.
I hunt water almost exclusively, funny enough every time I go there are birds there. Lots of preachers around here.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:10 PM

And folks say Wild TV has too many repeats