Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-23-2014, 09:18 PM

Default How much meat?

Hello all, just a quick question.

The regs state that it is unlawful to allow the edible meat of a big game animal to become unfit for human consumption. How much meat does a guy actually need to take off of an animal for it to be considered legal? Are the four quarters, backstraps and tenderloins enough? Or does a guy need to take meat from the ribs, neck and brisket as well?
Old 09-23-2014, 09:23 PM

Absolutely every thing that you mentioned from A-Z within front to back unless destroyed with a bullet
Old 09-23-2014, 09:47 PM

Default Ribs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret coulee View Post
Absolutely every thing that you mentioned from A-Z within front to back unless destroyed with a bullet
You can leave ribs off deer not an issue
Old 09-23-2014, 10:07 PM

Elbows deep all ready deboning or butchering why would you wast good rib meat,awesome hamburger or sausage.sounds to me you've left a lot of good eating in the field to wast,not all meat is choice meat but it all makes the cut in my freezer none the less so why wast an ounce of it?????
Old 09-23-2014, 10:21 PM

No need to retain the organs either...

LC
Old 09-24-2014, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
No need to retain the organs either...

LC
Mmmmmmmm moose heart!! Yummerz. Save them for me!!!
Old 09-24-2014, 12:43 AM

Default Stuffed heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Mmmmmmmm moose heart!! Yummerz. Save them for me!!!
X2. I love stuffed moose heart. Even better as cooled leftovers then thinly sliced....
Old 09-24-2014, 01:51 AM

I take all of the animal. That is why I hunt. For the meat.

Next time you have deer ribs... put them over an open fire bed of coals and let them render and roast. Granulated onion, garlic and pepper. Slow roasted this way, you will appreciate the ribs.

Stuffed deer, elk or moose heart is worth the time too. The liver in younger animals is good too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deer chart.jpg (17.6 KB, 222 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 09-24-2014 at 01:59 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
If you butcher yourself, and you take the rib meat right away then give yourself a big clap on the back, you just collected a half lb of burger.

If you leave the ribs on when you hang and then trim off the dryed meat when you butcher, after a bunch of work you've got a few bacon slice sized pieces of meat that you can make in to burger. Give yourself a big pat on the back.

If you take your deer to a butcher and you think that he is doing either of these things you are almost certainly mistaken. Keep your opinion to yourself when these sorts of threads pop up.
I guess I was brought up to take all useable and do the majority of my own butchering within a day or two of harvest.
I will not let to hang in my shop like a big majority of people do to turn black and dried up before I do sompthing with it,so not left with bacon strips after the wasting of good meat after trimming this discusting mess off.
And I guess if you take it to the butcher shop because you don't have the means then not much you can do there.
All edible meat???? I guess you can take it how ever you want to justify it
Old 09-24-2014, 06:24 AM

Basically use your best discretion, no one will give you a hard time if theres a little left over, especially in the worst spots. Ive talked to wardens about this before, of course I save all good quality cuts and useable trim. Asked specifically about bottom part of legs , on the calves I guess it would be.All sinue and silver skin and to me not worth the one cup of burger you get , was told do your best and get what you can and leave the rest.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:03 AM

Tongue is pretty tasty as well. I am fond of stuffed heart but the olgirl won't cook it so I have to go to the neighbors.
We take the rib meat. It goes in the sausage box.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:20 AM

You take all of it, no point in hunting if you plan on taking the meat only if you have too. Do you not hunt for the meat?
Or is this new generation purely sport hunting.......
Old 09-24-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
I guess I was brought up to take all useable and do the majority of my own butchering within a day or two of harvest.
I will not let to hang in my shop like a big majority of people do to turn black and dried up before I do sompthing with it,so not left with bacon strips after the wasting of good meat after trimming this discusting mess off.
And I guess if you take it to the butcher shop because you don't have the means then not much you can do there.
If you hang meat in a proper environment it doesn't dry into a black mess...and the rib meat is quite useable.

LC
Old 09-24-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
I take all meat and organs, except for the ribs and the flank, preferring to spend my time very carefully getting the most I can out of the rest of the deer. I'm very meticulous and I can get more meat off of a deer than almost anyone I know, my steak to burger ratio is higher than almost anyone I know, and the quality of the steaks is better than almost anyone I know.... if you want to judge me on the rib meat then go ahead, I don't care. I'm not just hunting just for sport and paying have somebody to turn the whole thing into jerky, I'm not lazy, I spend more time on a deer than most people... but I've never seen the amount of burger I get off the ribs to make it worth the effort, spend the time elsewhere where it will really pay off.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:08 AM

I dont know why anyone asks for advice on here.Your all like a bunch of bored old women. Jholst, call your local fish and wildlife office. They will be more than happy to explain it to you. Without the "If you dont do what I do your a slob hunter" attitude.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:32 AM

Wow. How does asking about how much meat a person needs to legally take automatically make me sport hunter? I merely asked the question as I have been doing some research on the gutless method for field dressing big game. I did not imply that I intended on leaving any edible meat behind. In one of the videos I watched on the gutless method, the hunter took the quarters, back straps, and tenderloins, saying that was what he legally needed to take in his area. I was hoping to find the answer in regards to Alberta from this forum.

I have contacted a F&W officer and got the correct answer.

I find this type of situation to be one of the major problems with this forum. A person may ask a simple question and hope to get a straightforward answer from some of the others on here who may have more experience. What they usually get is criticism, rudeness and belittling. I have seen far too many threads started on here only to see the original poster ask to have it deleted because their viewpoints or practices were criticized and judged. I don't usually post anything on this forum for that very reason, and it appears as though I made a mistake in asking this question here.

Hopefully everyone will have a good and safe hunting season. I may stick around this forum to see the success of others, but I find it unlikely that I will post again.
Thanks for your time.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:37 AM

Would be great if you could post the reply F&W gave to you...many would like to know how they see the topic.

LC
Old 09-24-2014, 11:00 AM

Not to belittle any one, (my personal opinion) only is to take all meat and no need to wonder if you are legal or not.

Us northern Albertan's tend to think differently then a lot of folks.

As well, what did F & W give for a repy?
Old 09-24-2014, 11:18 AM

The officer I talked to said that while taking the quarters, back straps and tenderloins would be enough, they would hope that hunters would make the effort to get some of the meat from the neck, brisket etc. especially for bigger game like elk or moose.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholst View Post
The officer I talked to said that while taking the quarters, back straps and tenderloins would be enough, they would hope that hunters would make the effort to get some of the meat from the neck, brisket etc. especially for bigger game like elk or moose.
Thanks for that! common sense approach IMHO....although I am SURE many would disagree and stop at nothing to ensure the toe-jam-meat is utilized

LC
Old 09-24-2014, 11:36 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Since I take all edible meat out I should be good to go but that liver/heart crap ewwwwww, actually if others prepare it I will eat it as a nice gesture but it usually stays in the woods.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-24-2014, 11:39 AM

I had somebody offer me some moose heart awhile back, I was surprised how good it was. gonna keep it from now on. stuffed with onions and wrapped with bacon.........
Old 09-24-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357xp View Post
I had somebody offer me some moose heart awhile back, I was surprised how good it was. gonna keep it from now on. stuffed with onions and wrapped with bacon.........
Wild liver is actually a lot more mild than beef liver, met plenty of people who don't care for beef liver that enjoyed deer or moose liver once they tried it. I don't the heart very often but I keep a baggie in my pack just so I don't miss out on a liver.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:52 AM
Banned

Edible portions ? Is a VERY poor description to use in regulation definition for required removal ! 1 guy might prefer steaks or roast, next guy has more interest in Moose Nose or tongue or kidney or boiled bone marrow,,

Lack of basic nutrition understanding is obvious, you could starve to death eating lean steaks and roasts and get healthy eating what is condoned to leave rotting in the bush, bureaucratic attempt at inducing common spence, another epic fail

Just misled bureaucrats trying to regulate their own person opinions on the general public
Old 09-24-2014, 11:53 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Wild liver is actually a lot more mild than beef liver, met plenty of people who don't care for beef liver that enjoyed deer or moose liver once they tried it. I don't the heart very often but I keep a baggie in my pack just so I don't miss out on a liver.
Bacon wrapped anything is good!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-24-2014, 11:57 AM

I don't eat liver anyhow but a rutting moose liver goes through a metamorphosis when they rut....it turns all grey and splotchy from the normal dark purple colour...

LC
Old 09-24-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deercamp View Post
. Asked specifically about bottom part of legs , on the calves I guess it would be.All sinue and silver skin and to me not worth the one cup of burger you get
To clean the meat off the shanks is more trouble than it's worth, but if you braise the shanks for a couple of hours they are delicious and easy to make. Go to honest-food.net and check out some of the recipes for shank there. So good.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:28 PM

The way I look at. If it'll make a turd, take it.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestalta View Post
The way I look at. If it'll make a turd, take it.
I think you posted on the wrong thread ?

Reserve this comment for JT thread,,,
Old 09-24-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
Edible portions ? Is a VERY poor description to use in regulation definition for required removal ! 1 guy might prefer steaks or roast, next guy has more interest in Moose Nose or tongue or kidney or boiled bone marrow,,

Lack of basic nutrition understanding is obvious, you could starve to death eating lean steaks and roasts and get healthy eating what is condoned to leave rotting in the bush, bureaucratic attempt at inducing common spence, another epic fail

Just misled bureaucrats trying to regulate their own person opinions on the general public
This is an urban myth, I tried eating nothing but moose steaks for two months straight... didn't lose a pound.