Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-21-2014, 11:24 AM

Default a camera man

I don't know if I could bring a camera man to hunt with me. He will only hold a camera and video taping. no weapons!.....Of course, I will appreciated a extra hand to help me gut the deer as well.

Just want to make sure before going out recently.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:51 AM

Are you asking someone here to video your hunt?
Old 09-21-2014, 12:01 PM

I think he's asking regarding the legalities.
The cameraman part is perfectly legal...but the "helping with the deer" part is what guys will jump all over you for on this site.
That's the grey area, because on the wrong day with the wrong CO, that could be considered "hunting".
Old 09-21-2014, 12:03 PM

It would probably fall under 'participating in a hunt'. A camera is definitely an optic, a cameraman could easily point out game. Another set of eyes is another hunter, whether or not they're armed.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:15 PM

Not trying to stir the pot here but "Another set of eyes is another hunter".....just wanting to know if I broke the law for 10 years when I had my son accompanying me while hunting before he was able to buy his own license?

Would someone please let me know if I broke the law? Maybe I mis-read the regulations?
Old 09-21-2014, 12:35 PM
Gone Hunting

HMMM?So what about the rancher who comes out with a front end loader and helps you load your moose/elk /deer?

When does it become 'hunting' and stop being common sense?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 09-21-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Muskeg View Post
Not trying to stir the pot here but "Another set of eyes is another hunter".....just wanting to know if I broke the law for 10 years when I had my son accompanying me while hunting before he was able to buy his own license?

Would someone please let me know if I broke the law? Maybe I mis-read the regulations?
Ya no kidding. So any sort of mentoring is illegal I guess"
Old 09-21-2014, 01:35 PM

camera man is considered a hunter, because he can spot your game for you.( my opinion)...now with using the go pro is not another set of eyes spotting game. But it will let you know at the end of your day the animals your eyes didn't see. Wear it on your head, attach to your weapon. Make your own video just like what they do on some wild tv shows
Old 09-21-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by protect View Post
camera man is considered a hunter, because he can spot your game for you.( my opinion)...now with using the go pro is not another set of eyes spotting game. But it will let you know at the end of your day the animals your eyes didn't see. Wear it on your head, attach to your weapon. Make your own video just like what they do on some wild tv shows
I highly doubt every hunting show on tv anymore pays an extra $45k for a camera man on a dall sheep hunt. And if you can see it on a go pro video and can't see it with your own eyes, I'd like to know how you found your way out of your house and to your hunting spot. People read way too far into these things and it gets rather ridiculous quite quickly. Give your head a shake man.

To the OP: take your camera person if you'd like an make darn sure you only have one weapon with you. If they are able and willing. It may not hurt to get the individual to purchase a lisence as well. Even if it's just for birds. Good luck and enjoy yourselves!
"I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only is a target but as living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life,if I can with regrets as well as joy, with the sure knowledge that natures way of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate then I can bestow."- Fred Bear
Old 09-21-2014, 02:24 PM

Default Hunter is not defined in 2014 Regulations

Quote:
The term "Hunter" is not defined in my copy of the 2014 regulations.

I just had a F&W Officer in my yard 2 nights ago regarding a Black Bear and during our conversation I mentioned to him that we were heading out next week moose hunting with 4 generations as I pointed to my 2 1/2 year old Grandson. He never told me the little fella had to stay at home.

To the OP, if it was me who was going and wanted a cameraman I'd be taking a cameraman.

We all have our interpretations of the "Gray Areas" as some have pointed out here. I am not saying that the other posters need to take somebody along with them if they don't have a proper license / tag in their possession.

However "Accompanying" isn't even defined for a resident.

Time to check in on the Grizzly debate)
Old 09-21-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupped N Committed View Post
I highly doubt every hunting show on tv anymore pays an extra $45k for a camera man on a dall sheep hunt. And if you can see it on a go pro video and can't see it with your own eyes, I'd like to know how you found your way out of your house and to your hunting spot. People read way too far into these things and it gets rather ridiculous quite quickly. Give your head a shake man.

To the OP: take your camera person if you'd like an make darn sure you only have one weapon with you. If they are able and willing. It may not hurt to get the individual to purchase a lisence as well. Even if it's just for birds. Good luck and enjoy yourselves!
Looks like it's quite "grey" here... better call F&W officer to confirm before we head out.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:52 PM

When did sight seeing become hunting? People go to jasper all the time with video cameras. Doesn't mean they are hunting. My dad brought me out hunting all the time and I have eyes. How else do youth start hunting?!
Old 09-21-2014, 05:09 PM

When did it become illegal to walk in the woods, walk in the woods with a gun, carry a gun, or hunt coyotes while your buddy hunts an Elk? Oh it isn't? Have a good day Mr. Warden.

-Billy Molls
Old 09-21-2014, 05:14 PM
Banned

How is the cameraman hunting? Sure he "could" spot game, he "could" also break all kinds of game violations, but he isn't now is he..

Why do we grasp at straws, and try to twist interpretations so we can't be out doing what we like? When driving I "could" speed, but I didn't so how could I ever be charged with it?

This twisted interpretation is aken to staying home, because I "could" break law.

Don't over think it and get out there!
Old 09-21-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OspakP View Post
How is the cameraman hunting? Sure he "could" spot game, he "could" also break all kinds of game violations, but he isn't now is he..

Why do we grasp at straws, and try to twist interpretations so we can't be out doing what we like? When driving I "could" speed, but I didn't so how could I ever be charged with it?

This twisted interpretation is aken to staying home, because I "could" break law.

Don't over think it and get out there!
Doesn't always apply....
People pass out in their vehicles outside the bar with no intention to drive yet they still lose their licence even though they just wanted to sleep it off. There's actually a lot of "could ofs" that will not go well for you.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
Doesn't always apply....
People pass out in their vehicles outside the bar with no intention to drive yet they still lose their licence even though they just wanted to sleep it off. There's actually a lot of "could ofs" that will not go well for you.
I am well aware of the law. If the vehicle was running keys in the ignition, yes. Otherwise no.

But really, unless the camera man is drunk this is not a comparable Pat.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
I am well aware of the law. If the vehicle was running keys in the ignition, yes. Otherwise no.

But really, unless the camera man is drunk this is not a comparable Pat.
Wrong. You can be sleeping in the back seat with the keys in your pocket.
And your speeding comparism is much better than my care and control comparism......
Old 09-21-2014, 05:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
And your speeding comparism is much better than my care and control comparism......
Keys in pocket and sleeping in back seat? no.

Anyways enough of this between us. Agree to disagree.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Keys in pocket and sleeping in back seat? no.

Anyways enough of this between us. Agree to disagree.
Pretty sure PP is right. If you have the keys on you in the back seat you can be deemed to be in Care and Control of the vehicle. Likely depends what officer knocks on the window if you get charged or not though.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:39 PM

That's why he needs a Camera Man....LOL
Old 09-21-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Your opinion is incorrect. There would be over 1000 charges per year in terms of hunting shows if you were anywhere remotely close to being correct.

If that were the case i can tell you right now you might as well charge me as of october 16th

You are perfectly legal bring 1 or 10 cameramen with you. Sure get them to help
Load and dress game. Again, all legal. I cant stress how ridiculous telling you otherwise is.

Last edited by wildside2014; 09-21-2014 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside2014 View Post
Your opinion is incorrect. There would be over 1000 charges per year in terms of hunting shows if you were anywhere remotely close to being correct.

If that were the case i can tell you right now you might as well charge me as of october 16th

Load and dress game. Again, all legal. I cant stress how ridiculous telling you otherwise is.
thank you, sir.. this is the answer I expected. This situation remind me the fishing reg. If my wife watching me fishing and I only have one fishing rod with the line in the water, the officer cannot charge my wife fishing without a license! Am I right? So, case closed. Thank you all for the wonderful discussion. really appreciated!
Old 09-21-2014, 07:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside2014 View Post

Agreed!

Good luck filming!
Old 09-21-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotezh View Post
thank you, sir.. this is the answer I expected. This situation remind me the fishing reg. If my wife watching me fishing and I only have one fishing rod with the line in the water, the officer cannot charge my wife fishing without a license! Am I right? So, case closed. Thank you all for the wonderful discussion. really appreciated!
You are correct. This rule stands in all provinces too. As i said, october 16th i will have 4 cameramen present....charge me....i guess.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:03 PM
Banned

I guess my dad by breaking the law when i went hunting with him as a child, & all the buddies who come help you after you take down a moose or deer deep in the bush. If he doesn't have a gun he is not a hunter. Sorry but saying oh look a deer isnt helping with the hunt or videoing it, unless you guys hold fingers on the trigger together while you shoot. & if you shoot a big animal like a moose its not oh i expect you to get that animal out yourself because the people you wanted to come help you aren't hunters or don't have licenses.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:29 PM

It wasn't a camera man...it was a black bear....cameramen have humps on their right shoulder.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:56 PM

I don't like to solo hunt...I know lots of guys do, it's just not for me. I'm a big fan of the buddy system. Something as simple as rolling an ankle in the back country could go south real quick. When my hunting partners weren't available I've taken some non hunting buddies, who have no clue about hunting. One in particular would take a book. While I'm glassing the field he just sat there quietly flipping pages. I don't see how anyone could take that as him participating in the hunt. On the flip side I've filled my tag and still gone out with my hunting buddies so they can fill theirs. I usually just pack my shot gun so if I see a grouse I'll take him on our travels to our "deer areas".
Old 09-22-2014, 08:37 AM

From every conversation I have ever had with a CO... You can be believed to be hunting if you are carrying a rifle during an open season. ..BELIEVED.. A cameraman does not need a hunting license. They are a bystander and if you are lucky enough to sucker them into loading your game into your vehicle with you and helping to gut it... you sire are a king among men...lol..

As long as the cameraman is not going to shoot a firearm at game that falls under the Hunting Regulations, they cannot be deemed a hunter.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
wow ... so anyone that would like to experience the out doors with a little guidence better grab a license . u sound like your great with the solo cam
Old 09-24-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Guess I should start sleeping in the trunk...