Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-24-2014, 12:52 PM

Default Possible missing hunter...upper oldman/kananaskis

We have a close friend who has not been heard from since Friday Sept19/14.
A small group of mutual friends went up to our usual hunting area west of the Upper Oldman Camp Ground to hunt until Friday. Our friend Shayne stayed by himself with his German Pointer "Lex" until Saturday, everyone else left. Shayne often hunts alone but is usually good at calling from the Ranger Station when and if plans change. He is an avid and knowledgeable outdoors men and is very familiar with the area. No red flags really came up until last night when family tried contacting him and since he is off work until the 26th no alarms were raised there.

Shayne hunts the Upper Oldman/Cabin Ridge area for Elk and Deer. He camps at km 6 on the Upper Old Man Road in the large clearing on the south side of the road. He has a homemade cabin and drives a 1983 Toyota truck SR5 primer grey/black with a lift.

If anyone has been in the area and may recognize the description please call Lethbridge RCMP 403-329-5010. Obviously any and all information is appreciated. RCMP have been notified and a small party of friends are on route to search the area between Dutch Creek and Cabin Ridge.

I will be updating this post with pictures and more info as we get it.

Rack
Old 09-24-2014, 03:41 PM

Default Missing hunter

Just wondering if you've heard anything,has he not been to camp???
Old 09-24-2014, 04:51 PM

RCMP just called Shayne is safe and sound! Thank God! All I know is he is safe and at camp with Lex.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:48 PM

Great news!!
Old 09-24-2014, 05:51 PM

That's great news! My wife's family never hunted before I came around. It cost me a bit of money to give her peace of mind while I'm out sheep or cat hunting out of cell range. I picked up a spot. But if I go for more than a night I usually rent a sat phone too. Doesn't hurt anything to have a little security for the wife. Keeps her and the kids far calmer than if I didn't have it.
"I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only is a target but as living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life,if I can with regrets as well as joy, with the sure knowledge that natures way of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate then I can bestow."- Fred Bear
Old 09-24-2014, 08:34 PM

where do you rent a sat phone from and what does it cost?
Old 09-24-2014, 08:48 PM

Glad he is ok, just read this. I was out there last weekend, pretty sure I saw your group on our way out. (Silverado with trailer green and a yellow quads) that's us
I've had some scary run ins with bears/ bad roads that way. I won't go alone anymore.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:07 PM

Very glad to hear it.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falroy View Post
where do you rent a sat phone from and what does it cost?
Most phone/two way communications places will rent them. Pretty affordable too. About $15/day
"I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only is a target but as living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life,if I can with regrets as well as joy, with the sure knowledge that natures way of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate then I can bestow."- Fred Bear
Old 09-26-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Hunter View Post
Glad he is ok, just read this. I was out there last weekend, pretty sure I saw your group on our way out. (Silverado with trailer green and a yellow quads) that's us
I've had some scary run ins with bears/ bad roads that way. I won't go alone anymore.

Yes we are all happy with the way it turned out, a lesson learned for all that's for sure. I know I will be more diligent in keeping in touch with family and friends. In Shaynes defense, Im sure we all can attest to the excitement one feels when your on to Elk and the only thing on your mind is the hunt. Especially being a bachelor and not being used to having to answer to anyone. LOL!

The roads are horrible up that way this year and the one bridge is gone. We actually bugled in a grizzly opening day in the evening. She came running out on to the cut-line facing us at 450yds with 2 little ones in tow. As much as I love being up there I have never seen so many bears as I have seen in these last 2-3 years!
Old 09-26-2014, 10:14 AM
Banned

Glad to hear he is ok!
Old 09-26-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstenroos View Post
Glad to hear he is ok!
x2
Old 09-26-2014, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rack View Post
Yes we are all happy with the way it turned out, a lesson learned for all that's for sure. I know I will be more diligent in keeping in touch with family and friends. In Shaynes defense, Im sure we all can attest to the excitement one feels when your on to Elk and the only thing on your mind is the hunt. Especially being a bachelor and not being used to having to answer to anyone. LOL!

The roads are horrible up that way this year and the one bridge is gone. We actually bugled in a grizzly opening day in the evening. She came running out on to the cut-line facing us at 450yds with 2 little ones in tow. As much as I love being up there I have never seen so many bears as I have seen in these last 2-3 years!
2 years back cow called a similar 3 bunch to within 40 yards less than 800 yards from the campground. Last year two different lone grizz opening day. Moved north in the zone and not much has changed lol